Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 VW California Delays

Why? I

Agree with that, sometimes they sit at port for quite a while, mine was at Hull for nearly 2 weeks.
A sold unit should be expedited automatically, stock can sit at the port up to 180 days

I still maintain the dealer is up to something. You would most likely have paid the same to get a brand new vehicle. Why would they demo first? Depending on circumstances a demo fan be 180 days. Why would a dealer sell a demo that quick if its their only one, they have nothing to sell from.
You could secure a new vehicle with 50 miles for 1st March. Sounds fishy.

This is how it might work.

Dealers have an allocation of demonstrator vehicles that they can buy from VW each year, based on previous sales. VW, knowing that it is their interests for dealers to have a regular supply of new demonstrators, give dealers a hefty discount when they buy one of their allocation of demonstrators, the condition being that the demonstrators cannot be sold sooner than 3 months after delivery to the dealer. Dealers are content to sell their demonstrators to customers at a discount knowing that their margins have been protected because of the discount given to them by VW.

In my case, the dealer was content to allow me to order a demonstrator for purchase to my own specification, at a discount, in the belief that either:
  • they would use the demonstrator for three months before being sold to me, or;
  • they would use it as a demonstrator for less than three months then loan it to me until the three months expire, then I would buy the van.
The benefit for the dealer is that they sell a demonstrator to me at a lower discount than they might do if sold to another customer sometime after the 3 months have expired.

The benefit to me is that I buy a van, built to my own specification, at a greater discount than a new van (14% in my case).

VW should be happy with the arrangement as they have not lost out.

However, in this particular case, with the delays caused by VWs production, and my insistence on a contractual long-stop date for delivery, the dealer might be forced to sell the van to me as a new vehicle. This would have the effect of squeezing the dealers' profit margins and the dealer will lose out. Alternatively, the dealer might loan the vehicle to me from new for three months, in which case VW lose out as they have discounted the vehicle in the expectation that it will be used as a demonstrator to sell more vans. (In this second case, I would have little sympathy for VW, as it is their production delays which have caused the problem.)

However, it might not work anything like this.

Why? I

Agree with that, sometimes they sit at port for quite a while, mine was at Hull for nearly 2 weeks.

Officially co
This is how it might work.

Dealers have an allocation of demonstrator vehicles that they can buy from VW each year, based on previous sales. VW, knowing that it is their interests for dealers to have a regular supply of new demonstrators, give dealers a hefty discount when they buy one of their allocation of demonstrators, the condition being that the demonstrators cannot be sold sooner than 3 months after delivery to the dealer. Dealers are content to sell their demonstrators to customers at a discount knowing that their margins have been protected because of the discount given to them by VW.

In my case, the dealer was content to allow me to order a demonstrator for purchase to my own specification, at a discount, in the belief that either:
  • they would use the demonstrator for three months before being sold to me, or;
  • they would use it as a demonstrator for less than three months then loan it to me until the three months expire, then I would buy the van.
The benefit for the dealer is that they sell a demonstrator to me at a lower discount than they might do if sold to another customer sometime after the 3 months have expired.

The benefit to me is that I buy a van, built to my own specification, at a greater discount than a new van (14% in my case).

VW should be happy with the arrangement as they have not lost out.

However, in this particular case, with the delays caused by VWs production, and my insistence on a contractual long-stop date for delivery, the dealer might be forced to sell the van to me as a new vehicle. This would have the effect of squeezing the dealers' profit margins and the dealer will lose out. Alternatively, the dealer might loan the vehicle to me from new for three months, in which case VW lose out as they have discounted the vehicle in the expectation that it will be used as a demonstrator to sell more vans. (In this second case, I would have little sympathy for VW, as it is their production delays which have caused the problem.)

However, it might not work anything like this.

This is interesting.

In my case, I paid deposit for a California that had been ordered by the dealer months previously.

They told me it was intended to be their demonstrator. Further, once registered it would need to be a demonstrator for x months.

The way to buy a demonstrator is before it is registered because then dealers are not required to keep it x months.

But this begs the question of whether a demonstrator is any way a special order for a dealer. It seems that it is their own choice of whether to have one or sell it on even before use as demonstrator. It might be that if they feel confident they order a few, hoping to sell these on, and the remaining one is kept as demonstrator.

If none left, and build numbers low, they do not need demonstrators anyway.

I do not think that "California" is an appropriate name for a camper van with such a rich European heritage. Even "Kamper" would be better, "Caravelle" would work too, but that's been allocated to another type of van.
There's a California near Great Yarmouth, has a pub called The California Tavern, on California Road.

You cant have your cake and eat it. 14% on a used vehicle or a new one with better residuals, no miles and a full warranty.
Demo vehicles do not offer more discount a point of sale, they are slightly cheaper as they can be written down due to being an asset used for the company.

You cant have your cake and eat it. 14% on a used vehicle or a new one with better residuals, no miles and a full warranty.
Demo vehicles do not offer more discount a point of sale, they are slightly cheaper as they can be written down due to being an asset used for the company.

My speculation is that the parent company, VW in this case, give dealers a discount on demonstrators as it is in the parent company's interest for dealers to have good quality demonstrators; it would also give the parent company some control over the use of the vehicles. If I am wrong in this I am happy to be corrected.

In my particular case, I might just benefit from VW's production delays as I have a long-stop date for delivery. The worst case scenario is that I will receive a 3 month old van with 5,000 miles. The best case scenario is that I will receive a new van with only delivery miles. The most likely scenario is that I will receive a van somewhere between the worst and best case scenarios.

It os my understanding that VW do not speculate what vehicles should be put on demo. All vehicles ordered equal. The dealer would then dictate what vehicles need to go on demo due to demand vs reg target vs physical stock. They may indeed specifically order vehicles to be a demo but its just the same as any other. Only by writing the vehicle down as a cost to the business would it reduce in price coupled with it being second hand.
The dealer is not allowed to 'loan' you the vehicle long term then post out the v5 later on however I they choose to its up to them.
Again, that's only my understanding. Would be interesting to know what dealer it is?

It os my understanding that VW do not speculate what vehicles should be put on demo. All vehicles ordered equal. The dealer would then dictate what vehicles need to go on demo due to demand vs reg target vs physical stock. They may indeed specifically order vehicles to be a demo but its just the same as any other. Only by writing the vehicle down as a cost to the business would it reduce in price coupled with it being second hand.
The dealer is not allowed to 'loan' you the vehicle long term then post out the v5 later on however I they choose to its up to them.
Again, that's only my understanding. Would be interesting to know what dealer it is?

This ties in with my own experience as to how dealers takk about demonstrator cars.

Also, explains how I got my hands on one intended to be a demonstrator....

My 150 Ocean 4Motion now back to week 44 (ordered May 24th, original estimate wk44, brought forward to wk 39, last week put back to wk41, this week put back to week 44........so back where we started).
Relieved the angst by pledging on a SheltaPod . I swore I would order nothing until the 'van arrived but could not resist such a versatile bit of kit.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sheltapod-campervan-awning.15408/#post-168084

My 150 Ocean 4Motion now back to week 44 (ordered May 24th, original estimate wk44, brought forward to wk 39, last week put back to wk41, this week put back to week 44........so back where we started).
Relieved the angst by pledging on a SheltaPod . I swore I would order nothing until the 'van arrived but could not resist such a versatile bit of kit.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sheltapod-campervan-awning.15408/#post-168084

I'm keeping off the temptation to order anything prior to delivery. I took a good look at the SheltaPod. We will probably go for the Vango Galli Low with its built in groundsheet and ability to be a kitchen and dining room. I can see that the SheltaPod might work for 2 people, but not for a family of four plus two dogs without having to constantly shove bits of gear around for cooking, then eating, then lounging about.

I'm keeping off the temptation to order anything prior to delivery. I took a good look at the SheltaPod. We will probably go for the Vango Galli Low with its built in groundsheet and ability to be a kitchen and dining room. I can see that the SheltaPod might work for 2 people, but not for a family of four plus two dogs without having to constantly shove bits of gear around for cooking, then eating, then lounging about.
I admire your resolve. Myself, I can resist anything except temptation. It all depends what you want your awning for and how you intend to use the van. I will go home for all the creature comforts. (My sister's comment on yachting with me was "if I wanted to live in a wardrobe I would have brought my own").

I admire your resolve. Myself, I can resist anything except temptation. It all depends what you want your awning for and how you intend to use the van. I will go home for all the creature comforts. (My sister's comment on yachting with me was "if I wanted to live in a wardrobe I would have brought my own").

The biggest single issue we are likely to have is a shortage of space as we will be packing for a full year. Clearly we can buy and jettison as we travel, but we would like to get the key equipment right. Much we already have. One of the big issues is bikes. Ideally we'd like to take our tandem plus double child trailer plus play bikes for the boys at campsites. We may be reduced to Bromptons with child seats.

We simply cannot work it all out before delivery.

GREAT NEWS AT LAST
After all the promises of delivery and false information on build (see previous threads ) i have finally been advised that my California is built and on its way to UK .
With a bit of luck i might well be able to collect by end of next week after dealer has fitted a few extras !
Assuming it happens (surely it cannot go wrong now ) that will be 8 ½ months from Order date .
I for one , cannot wait for this saga to be over.
What a shame we managed to miss all of the 2016 summer season , but to make up for that i think a quick shakedown is in order for 1st week of October !
Now thats something positive to look forward to .:bananadance

We to are getting close to delivery.
On 30 August the new Cali was at the German port and reached UK soil on Friday 09 September. I am expecting a call from South Hereford towards the end of the week.
So I get excited when the phone goes but so far have apparently won either £500 worth of high street vouchers or an iPad, double glazing, an offer of a grant for a new boiler and help with the accident I seem to have had 3 years ago.
Can't be long now.........

The biggest single issue we are likely to have is a shortage of space as we will be packing for a full year.
:eek:

My (now) wife & I lived out of a 110 Land Rover for nearly two years (with a roof tent) but we had no kids then. The thought of doing it with kids in a California for a year has me wide-eyed in terror while at the same time running the options on doing the same with our mob!

Do you have a thread on your planned route?

Do you have a thread on your planned route?

We have a map of Europe stuck on our living room wall with pins stuck in on the places we want to visit. The first 3 months is fairly well planned - north through Denmark, Sweden and Norway, then south through Finland and into Estonia, west through Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany before returning to the UK for my mother's 80th birthday party at the end of August 2017.

Stage 2 is more sketchy, but seems to be France, Spain, Portugal, Spain, French Riviera, Switzerland, Italy including Sicily for Christmas 2017, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany and home. Somewhere along the line we should tick off Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, meaning that by June 2018 we will have visited all EU countries except Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

When we depart in May or June, Ben will be 3½ and Jack 2¼. It is the only easy opportunity to do this before the boys start school. We hope to limit driving to 4 hours per day; we are also planning to stay in self catering accommodation for up to a week at a time at various places we visit. We hope that our budget is sufficient, which is from income from our continuing business and from letting our home; we have a contingency from savings which we hope not to use.

We have a map of Europe stuck on our living room wall with pins stuck in on the places we want to visit. The first 3 months is fairly well planned - north through Denmark, Sweden and Norway, then south through Finland and into Estonia, west through Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany before returning to the UK for my mother's 80th birthday party at the end of August 2017.

Stage 2 is more sketchy, but seems to be France, Spain, Portugal, Spain, French Riviera, Switzerland, Italy including Sicily for Christmas 2017, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany and home. Somewhere along the line we should tick off Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, meaning that by June 2018 we will have visited all EU countries except Ireland, Cyprus and Malta.

When we depart in May or June, Ben will be 3½ and Jack 2¼. It is the only easy opportunity to do this before the boys start school. We hope to limit driving to 4 hours per day; we are also planning to stay in self catering accommodation for up to a week at a time at various places we visit. We hope that our budget is sufficient, which is from income from our continuing business and from letting our home; we have a contingency from savings which we hope not to use.

Wonderful, magnificent plan.

Makes all the sense in the world. And may I say from experience such trips are never forgotten.

When I was 6 and my sister 11 my parents took us out of school for a year to show us the world. In 2nd half, just before I turned 7 we flew from London to Hamburg where my dad bought a car.

He then drove us all the way from Germany to deepest South Asia, making detours to visit every possible country along the way.

As an experience and education it was unrivalled.

Great plan, will be an amazing trip. :) Just the right time to do it too. :)

We drove up to Finland last year (wife is a Finn) and loved every minute of it. Now looking east towards Czech Republic, Bulgaria, etc for the next big trip.

Great plan, will be an amazing trip. :) Just the right time to do it too. :)

We drove up to Finland last year (wife is a Finn) and loved every minute of it. Now looking east towards Czech Republic, Bulgaria, etc for the next big trip.

Hmm...chilli red van too! Other half Swiss rather than Finn....

So back to the main theme of this thread, I have a clear case for a PPI claim but first need to get the hackers off my Microsoft computer to get my broadband speed back and...collect the new Cali on Tuesday.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Back