Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 California Hybrid to be presented in June 2021?

I’m a bit surprised VW will do the california on the T7, since it’s smaller than 6.1 and I seem to read it will have less payload than the 6.1. I’m wondering what the difference will be with the caddy maxi california, which has only just been released.

Especially the lower available payload seems strange: the only rather recently introduced the updated 6.1 already doesn’t have a lot of excess payload when you add options like 4motion. Let alone the addition of a mild-hybrid system on the T7 which will further add weight and decrease payload.

I had previously understood that they would keep the california based on the 6.1 for a while longer, but can’t find any reference to that any more. If production leadtimes for a T7 cali are similar to what is currently offered for a 6.1, it could be well beyond summer 2022 before the first deliveries are made...

We’ll see...

Have VW confirmed where the T7 will be manufactured yet?

In production today, the base vehicle is subsequently elevated to a California on second production line. That's not overly efficient.

I wonder if the hybrid drivetrain might change this?

Well I was told by the dealer that he could put in a request for the new california from may/June for us to get the 2022 (no mention of T7 however). When we were offered an already available California Ocean for about 9k GBP less, I bit the bullet and picked it up. But T7 sounds much cooler now!

" In addition, the handbrake lever disappears, but an electric parking brake is applied."
That took long enough.

T was the original Split Panel Van prefix for Transporter (or to be geeky Type 29) so T1 and each Transporter Generation ran sequentially T1 .> T2 > (dont get into T25 ie T3)
so strictly a new generation of Transporter would be the T7 ..
but I think VW are blurring the lines a bit here! Marketing ...

" In addition, the handbrake lever disappears, but an electric parking brake is applied."
That took long enough.

Hmm
Never fancied an electric handbrake.
Much prefer the mechanical click and feel of a proper handbrake before jumping into bed...

I'm in a real quandary over this. Van due next month and very concerned about it being immediately outdated by a new model - and not just a facelift. We are spending all our savings and there is a brand new version, which could be better (or worse), about to be announced. Other half wants the van so isn't concerned. But i'm worried about value and commiting to it now and not sure what to do.

I'm in a real quandary over this. Van due next month and very concerned about it being immediately outdated by a new model - and not just a facelift. We are spending all our savings and there is a brand new version, which could be better (or worse), about to be announced. Other half wants the van so isn't concerned. But i'm worried about value and commiting to it now and not sure what to do.
I wouldn't be making any decisions based on vaporware. A replacement for the T6.1 Cali hasn't been announced and isn't on the horizon anytime soon. Orders are still being taken for the current model with delivery well into 2022.

This quandary occurs every couple of years. So far, the changes have never spooked the residuals of the previous vans.

There is going to be a lot of new engineering required for a radically different T7 Cali. Most camping parts of a T6 can easily trace their heritage back to 2004 - and some haven't changed at all.

100% new kitchen, water tanks, roof and cowling, upper bed, rear seat, rails, all will need to start from scratch for a shorter / narrower T7.

I bought my first van a year before the "new" van was introduced. I sold it three years later for virtually what I paid for it.

I bought my second van two years before the next model came about (T6.1)... I'm about to sell it for not much less than what I paid for it.

Every "new"van seems to increase the residual of the "old" van .... T4 better than T5, 5 pot better than the new 4 pot, 180 proved but 204 is just ever so flakey .......

Just order it, get it, drive I it, camp in it, make memories in it and when it comes to sell it believe it. It's cost you practically nowt for a lifetime and a half of incredible memories.

There is going to be a lot of new engineering required for a radically different T7 Cali. Most camping parts of a T6 can easily trace their heritage back to 2004 - and some haven't changed at all.

100% new kitchen, water tanks, roof and cowling, upper bed, rear seat, rails, all will need to start from scratch for a shorter / narrower T7.

I wonder if the damn roof will still rust?!

Thank you all for your thoughts. Woken up this morning and realised I'm overthinking it. Phew. Onwards to collection.
To help even further... the current California is based on the T6, which is just a slight update on the T5. These vans have been around for yonks... most issues are now solved, or well known in the community and solutions known. Garages know about issues, and how to fix them.

A new T7 is an unknown quantity at this time, and it's likely to have some teething issues that may take a couple of years to sort out.

A T6 will be less problematic, and if you do get problems, they'll be easier and quicker to solve. Enjoy your new adventure wagon!

To help even further... the current California is based on the T6, which is just a slight update on the T5. These vans have been around for yonks... most issues are now solved, or well known in the community and solutions known. Garages know about issues, and how to fix them.

A new T7 is an unknown quantity at this time, and it's likely to have some teething issues that may take a couple of years to sort out.

A T6 will be less problematic, and if you do get problems, they'll be easier and quicker to solve. Enjoy your new adventure wagon!

To be fair, there have been a quite a few reported issues with the T6.1

On the other hand the 'steer by wire' on the T6.1 is reported to be excellent.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Woken up this morning and realised I'm overthinking it. Phew. Onwards to collection.

Glad to hear it.
Life is too short to worry about tomorrow.
Get the van and enjoy it...:thumb

To be fair, there have been a quite a few reported issues with the T6.1

On the other hand the 'steer by wire' on the T6.1 is reported to be excellent.
Yup, just thinking that with a totally new vehicle, there are more chances for things to go wrong.

Regarding the potential new hybrid California, I do wonder if on a hybrid version that already includes a 13KW/h battery (assuming same size as in the Golf), they'll get rid of the leasure batteries and plug straight into that one instead. Would make sense, just need some electronics to ensure that you cannot deplete the battery so low that you cannot start the engine.

I have to say I quite like the T6.1 styling, more so than these pictures of the T7. May be the T7 will grow on us, but for me it's all a moot point. T6.1 will not fit in my garage, just hope the T7 does.

Back