Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 California Hybrid to be presented in June 2021?

Don't forget the New T7 will also come as a Hybrid, Petrol and Electric same as the Golf GTE 242 Bhp.

I thought it was already sorted, or is there some new info?

T7 = more of a people carrier, no camper version
T6.1 = Camper - california

T8 = Fusion with Ford and a new camper.

I left a space for the T6.2.

I thought it was already sorted, or is there some new info?

T7 = more of a people carrier, no camper version
T6.1 = Camper - california

T8 = Fusion with Ford and a new camper.

I left a space for the T6.2.

It’s not super clear but from the video from VW media in the first post, it’s:

T7 = California / Multivan
T6.1 to remain as Transporter / work van.

Whatever VW decide. Demand will be high and there will be a waiting list.

Be interesting to see what payload would be left with a full fat Cali T7 hybrid. I wouldn’t have thought it would work for a family if the 6.1 is being retained as the workhorse because of load rating. The 6.1 is already pretty limited.

Speculate if you wish, the T6.1 is alive and well. Long live the T6.1.

It’s not super clear but from the video from VW media in the first post, it’s:

T7 = California / Multivan
T6.1 to remain as Transporter / work van.
I can't really see that they would put a lift up roof on the T7 and the Buzz
and then another one on the T8.
That would be going against the grain seeing we've had the same pop top
for the last 17 years.

I hope i'm wrong though.
They should put a pop top in every vehicle.

The roofline looks more curved than the T5 or T6. That might look interesting in Cali version, the pop to of which will flatten the roofline.
I agree with @WelshGas, I think the shape will be similar to that of a Marco Polo

Said it before and also looking at the preview silhouette, it doesn’t look much lower than the current T6.1. It looks like VW have decided to lower it and to fit the rear spoiler in the factory. Yes the roof line looks slightly lower but so does the ground clearance.

I really don’t think it will be much smaller in height internally than the current California.

35CCFC00-BF27-4AE4-9947-F2077F0A19AA.jpeg

Guess we'll soon need a profile checker when entering the camping grounds.

how-to-bet-on-golf-2019.jpg

When it was all so simple till 6.1...

At least it will still be able to get in the Camping grounds if it is lower than the T6. 1.

Said it before and also looking at the preview silhouette, it doesn’t look much lower than the current T6.1. It looks like VW have decided to lower it and to fit the rear spoiler in the factory. Yes the roof line looks slightly lower but so does the ground clearance.

I really don’t think it will be much smaller in height internally than the current California.

View attachment 76798
The most important change that jumps out is that the front row has been moved back into the position of a long nosed car, just like the other models built on the MQB platform. The flatter slanted windshield and double A pillar are an attempt to disguise this as a van, but if the second A pillar were removed, you would have the same windshield angle and long hood as the Caddy. This is a huge reconfiguration of interior space, comparable to the change from the T3 to the T4, when the front row was moved behind the front axle for safety reasons. In this case I don’t see the advantage, other than reducing costs by disguising a car platform as a van without actually providing the economies of space that a van does. We have seen this tactic before: the double A pillar of the Buzz disguises that the front row is much further back than it looks from the outside. A single A pillar with a longer hood would give better outward vision, but would not evoke the retro look.

As far as the lower car based chassis, the graphic is not really honest, since VW has announced that the T7 is 6cm lower than the T6.1. I suppose those who do some off-roading can have it raised, but I’m curious to see how a flat floor could be maintained, especially in 4x4 versions.

I've had all Renault Espace's since the very first model until they launched the current model, which no longer had the 'Espace' nor the flexibility. There the romance stopped for me.
A California above the 2m limit, or the off-road limitation, would do the same.

The most important change that jumps out is that the front row has been moved back into the position of a long nosed car, just like the other models built on the MQB platform. The flatter slanted windshield and double A pillar are an attempt to disguise this as a van, but if the second A pillar were removed, you would have the same windshield angle and long hood as the Caddy. This is a huge reconfiguration of interior space, comparable to the change from the T3 to the T4, when the front row was moved behind the front axle for safety reasons. In this case I don’t see the advantage, other than reducing costs by disguising a car platform as a van without actually providing the economies of space that a van does. We have seen this tactic before: the double A pillar of the Buzz disguises that the front row is much further back than it looks from the outside. A single A pillar with a longer hood would give better outward vision, but would not evoke the retro look.

As far as the lower car based chassis, the graphic is not really honest, since VW has announced that the T7 is 6cm lower than the T6.1. I suppose those who do some off-roading can have it raised, but I’m curious to see how a flat floor could be maintained, especially in 4x4 versions.
Some interesting points there. I also agree that the front seats may have moved back, so we'll see what this does to interior space once VW makes their announcement. I'm sure they realize California users will not take kindly to reduced living space.

However, the use of a hybrid power train does offer some potential benefits. For starters, you can remove the two AGM batteries, freeing up some space. They could potentially even move to an induction hob instead of a gas driven one, freeing up the space currently taken by the gas bottle. Yes, I realize an induction hob is a power hog but 13kw/h is a big battery, dwarfing the current leasure batteries in the Cali.

Also, I think the Golf GTE uses an electric motor for the AC compressor, so perhaps a T7 California would allow for the AC to be used with the ignition off. Not sure how much power this would use, but at the very least one could use it when on electric hookup. That may be a big plus for some.

But I still think the current T6.1 looks way better than every pic I see of the T7

Its not looking any prettier thats for sure or making me reconsider cancelling the T6.1 order. And what point is a huge glass roof with a pop top, especially when when the view is obstructed by solar panels.

Sorry I meant no plans to cancel the T6.1 order

If there is going to be both the T6.1 and the T7 I wonder which the conversion companies will want to use?

Get a nose job, remove that back spoiler, and we'll start talking again.
VWT7 nose job.jpg
(Like about the awning being added...?)

If there is going to be both the T6.1 and the T7 I wonder which the conversion companies will want to use?
If what we are all looking at here is what the California will be based on. I would be choosing to convert a 4Motion T6.1 without a doubt.

Back