Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 California Hybrid to be presented in June 2021?

reserves

reserves

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It does seem that the new T7 California is indeed being presented in June 2021!

At least, that's my understanding after watching the VW Annual Media Conference 2021 below

The presenter doesn't make it super clear, he talks about the 'Multivan' being released in June 2021 as the T7, however doesn't mention the California specifically, although he then goes on to say "as our 3rd Campervan" and references the ID Buzz (being released in 2023).

So assume by Multivan he means "Beach" & "Cali"

He also confirms that the T6.1 will still be produced as the Transporter

Last edited:
Looking at the recent spy shots and discussion in the auto press, didn't they say the new multivan was a Sharan replacement?

Don’t know. The presentation was for Commercial vehicles

Multivan is the European name for a caravelle. A caravelle over there is a shuttle here

This is fun as it’s a somewhat cryptic update from VW (I’ve listened to the relevant video segment and the earlier Caddy segment a couple of times).

The translator does suggest T7 and campervan in the same sentence, but he also refers to the ID Buzz as a campervan, which I wouldn’t characterise as such based on prototypes. I would be interested to read updates/ speculations on our German sister forum CaliBoard on their users’ takes on the original German presentation

Looking at the recent spy shots and discussion in the auto press, didn't they say the new multivan was a Sharan replacement?
VW has announced in press releases that the new T7/Multivan is based on a smaller car based chassis and not apt for heavy loads.

Stock market likes VW’s latest announcements. VW shares have seen a nice boost recently.

There's some information here:

Of note is that apparently this new T7 will be slightly longer, and 6cm shorter than the current t6.1 offerings, and that there will be California variants based of of it. They claim the cockpit is lifted from the Golf 8, and speak in a general sense about the power trains... which I suspect will be again based on Golf 8 offerings.

Also that they will keep the T6.1 as the Transporter for commercial vans. Presumably it has a higher load rating, and the higher roof line probably helps there.

I'm particularly excited about it being 6cm shorter than the T6.1. I've been lusting after a Cali for a while, but with the T6.1 being 1.99m, and my garage limited to 1.96m, it would have involved faffing around with the suspension (which I'm not keen on). If the T7 Cali is 1.93m, I'm sorted! :cool:

They do mention a price hike though, which is going to be hard to stomach, it's already hideously expensive as it is :-(

Will apparently be presented in early May 2021, with deliveries in the Autumn

I have a T6.1 on order and this makes me think about cancelling it, or getting the order converted into a 7. Anyone know the logistics of doing that?

Do we think this will negatively affect residuals for our soon to be delivered t6.1???

Do we think this will negatively affect residuals for our soon to be delivered t6.1???
Those were my thoughts (although depending on how much the price increase is this might not matter). Will wait for the announcement and then make any decision. Given that I'm going to miss the majority of the summer anyway due to van not being delivered I hope all I'll have to lose is the deposit (worst case scenario?).

I also think the van looks uglier than the T6.1, but the fact that it's 6cm less high sounds good.

I have a T6.1 on order and this makes me think about cancelling it, or getting the order converted into a 7. Anyone know the logistics of doing that?
How long have you waited for your 6.1, how long will the wait for a T7, do you know the spec, live and enjoy.

Last edited:
How long have you waited for your 6.1, how long will the wait for a 7 be do you know the spec, live and enjoy.
A few months, I can wait a few more. I won't "live and enjoy" the van this year anyway as it arrives out with summer anyway. I don't even know the spec of the Van I've ordered as VW have not yet published spec of the 204 engine.

I think it will be some time after the T7 launch before there would be a T7 California. If indeed there is to be one

Looks great. Referred to as a T7 but not suitable as a Transporter...isn’t the T from Transporter?

Looks great. Referred to as a T7 but not suitable as a Transporter...isn’t the T from Transporter?
I always thought the T was short for "Type"

This would be the Multivan, Caravelle and California "Type 7" (but not the transporter T7 by the sounds of it)

I always thought the T was short for "Type"

This would be the Multivan, Caravelle and California "Type 7" (but not the transporter T7 by the sounds of it)
Sounds as if the Commercial Transporter T7 will be built jointly with Ford.
If it happens the new T7 California will be similar in size to the Marco Polo and hopefully not sold via VW Commercial.

A few months, I can wait a few more. I won't "live and enjoy" the van this year anyway as it arrives out with summer anyway. I don't even know the spec of the Van I've ordered as VW have not yet published spec of the 204 engine.
Well, if you are not going to get it until after the summer and you won't really enjoy it until next year anyway, I would put the order on hold for a month or so. If the article is accurate, the announcement will come next month. At least then you can make your decision based on facts, not rumours and speculation.

But as others have stated... if announcement is May, and deliveries start in the Autumn, if you wanted a T7 California, you better put your order in early, who knows if they'll be available for summer 2022

Back