Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 California Hybrid to be presented in June 2021?

Most customers will be clueless to this fact... until the panels start popping off and someone breaks the news to them. Or the AC stops blowing, or the alarm starts going off randomly, or the alternator goes on the fritz. Yes, I had a Ford, yes I had all those problems, no I'm not buying another Ford, even if they polish the turd and put a VW badge up front
Not so sure… a lot of die hard Transporter fans will know that the new one will be a rebadged Ford.

Can you let me know what’s wrong with the T6.1? … Just in case I’m tempted to upgrade from our T6!
I'd go and have a look at one to compare. The interior plastics are like something you'd find on a cheap Skoda. It feels like a cheap imitation.

If you've not had one before you probably wouldn't notice, but they've been cost cutting and it shows.

Purely subjective - but have you seen the front grille?

1623356448619.png

The T6 is just better.

1623356610897.png

At least it isn't as bad as the first T5 though...

1623356803218.png

I'd go and have a look at one to compare. The interior plastics are like something you'd find on a cheap Skoda. It feels like a cheap imitation.

If you've not had one before you probably wouldn't notice, but they've been cost cutting and it shows.

Purely subjective - but have you seen the front grille?

View attachment 79846

The T6 is just better.

View attachment 79847

At least it isn't as bad as the first T5 though...

View attachment 79848
Opinions eh! For me the 6.1 looks sleeker and more refined (nothing against the 6). I had a loaner from from VW today whilst mine was in for a small job it was a T6 (not a cali) talk about plastic, it stank of it!

Not so sure… a lot of die hard Transporter fans will know that the new one will be a rebadged Ford.
sounds like the proace Toyota, a rebadged PSA group van, not a pure Toyota but with much input from Toyota. Still wasn't keen and with no Skoda vans ended up with a VW

Electronic handbrake that would be nice with swivel seats.

I had a loaner from from VW today whilst mine was in for a small job it was a T6 (not a cali) talk about plastic, it stank of it!
Tell me about it. Some of those cheap transporter plastics are making their way in to £60k+ T6.1's

1623358124808.png

What would the premium DSG shifter have cost VS this nasty thing?

Thankfully they've removed it altogether on the T7

As shared somewhere on here previously, Ford & VW entered into an agreement to share development of commercial vehicles. Amongst others Amarok based on the ranger, Ford city van based on Caddy and ford to develop a 1-ton cargo van (no date specified). Wouldn’t be surprised if this last becomes the new california instead of T7.
Time will tell.
last of the vw s then for the pure v dub crew.

Most customers will be clueless to this fact... until the panels start popping off and someone breaks the news to them. Or the AC stops blowing, or the alarm starts going off randomly, or the alternator goes on the fritz. Yes, I had a Ford, yes I had all those problems, no I'm not buying another Ford, even if they polish the turd and put a VW badge up front
made in turkey too.

Question - Which base vehicles are the Beach, Coast and Ocean based on?

Question - Which base vehicles are the Beach, Coast and Ocean based on?
This is obviously a trick question, which I'm sorry, I'm missing the point of. Must be thick.

Tell me about it. Some of those cheap transporter plastics are making their way in to £60k+ T6.1's

View attachment 79851

What would the premium DSG shifter have cost VS this nasty thing?

Thankfully they've removed it altogether on the T7
Having never owned a T6 Cali, I can't offer an honest comparison. My "budget" T6.1 coast gear stick has a mixture of Piano Black, normal plastic and leather. I have owned merc's and Maseratis before so I didn't expect it to be of the same standard but to be honest their chrome is plastic too, the other plastic bit's are just covered with more leather, I did once have a lovely chrome set up on an AMG gear stick but there was plenty of plastic around there to. It's an industry wide thing.

Anyway this is the 6.1 cost gear stick, how does it compare?
IMG_1657.jpg

I’m not so sure, as I don’t think it will have the payload for a the Cali gear.
They are struggling to keep the payload down now so they don’t have to go over to 3.2t.

I’m not so sure, as I don’t think it will have the payload for a the Cali gear.
They are struggling to keep the payload down now so they don’t have to go over to 3.2t.
There is considerable room for saving weight. The seats are already lighter in the T7. The electric system could be modified doing away with leisure batteries on the hybrid. Upper bed seems to be possibly lighter on the T6.1 and so on.

As mentioned above, the T7’s elongated car based nose is subtracted from the interior space, so (as can be seen in the video posted earlier) even the LWB version doesn't have the same interior and luggage space as a SWB T6, while being longer overall. Not an advance in packaging, but a savings for VW since it is essentially the same chassis as the Caddy, with a false double A pillar tacked on to disguise the long nose and loss of cargo space. It’s really the same layout as a 3 row SUV, without the space efficiency of a van.

Remember a while back when this long nosed T6 mule was making the rounds?

It had the overall length of a LWB T6, but none of the increased length went to the interior load area.

To get the T7 down to size, a chunk of the rear load area has been chopped off to compensate for the increased length of the nose. This is most obvious when looking at the length of the rear side windows. In VW’s presentation of the T7, the interior was shown with the 3rd row seats pushed back, and care was taken to not show the reduced cargo space at the back. As I mentioned in another post, this is the largest reduction of interior space compared to overall length since the front seats of the T3 were moved from over the front axle to behind it in the T4, improving safety and gaining luggage space where the rear motor had been. Here it seems to have been done for cost reasons related to platform sharing, with a reduction in functionality.

Last edited:
The modular seats looks like a big design improvement.

Maybe the 7 seat beach will make a return?
Wow, what a great new concept they try to sell us there. Modular sliding chairs, a panoramic roof,... Just that I've been driving the same thing since 1985 (Renault Espace)! Pitty they copied it badly (different module sizes). And not even with a chair weight reduction since then, while I thought we got used to working with Carbon and high-tec textiles in the meantime?
And then that front design. It's what happens when you get a generation of designers raised with Pixar animations,...
Not a surprise, we've seen it coming, but still, bufffwwww.....

Edit: another cheap marketing quote, concerning the sloping of the back, "you know, form follows function". What function? The Transporter function? Then it should be towards optimal internal volume. Or the Hybrid function (half utilitarian - half passenger compromise)?
They should call it the HH1, the Hybrid Hybrid.
Wondering how they would mount the awning onto it.

Last edited:
As its based on the MQB platform and not going to be available as a commercial vehicle, Is it really a T7?
I’t seems to me more of a larger Sharan that they’ve given the Multivan / Bulli name to make it more appealing.

The narrow interior seats don’t look much wider thst we had in the 2nd row of our Touran 6 years ago..

The new T7 has a schnoze only a mother could love.

I hope they keep building the T6.1 for a while longer to be honest, I’d like to take delivery of my order next year. What happens to customer order's when a model changes?

I hope they keep building the T6.1 for a while longer to be honest, I’d like to take delivery of my order next year. What happens to customer order's when a model changes?
VW will stop taking orders. All confirmed T6.1 orders should be fulfilled........ eventually

Ford are due to be making the "VW" transporter. Maybe yours will be one of the first!? :Iamsorry

Back