Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 199 (204) order club

Just got this from my dealer. Not good news and suggests talk of weight restrictions affecting delivery is probably spot on.

I have to inform you that because of environmental restrictions the 80L fuel tank has been removed from the option list of the Volkswagen California.

The new Co2 emissions require all new vehicles to cut in weight and the bigger fuel tank did not get through unfortunately.

I wonder whats next
Manufacturers stopped fitting spare wheels and provided those useless inflator kits to save weight. Bet the spare wheel will be a candidate to drop if they need weight savings. After driving cars with no spare for the last few years and being stuck for hours waiting for a recovery truck when I could have changed the wheel in 10 mins, no way I'm buying another vehicle without one.

Manufacturers stopped fitting spare wheels and provided those useless inflator kits to save weight. Bet the spare wheel will be a candidate to drop if they need weight savings. After driving cars with no spare for the last few years and being stuck for hours waiting for a recovery truck when I could have changed the wheel in 10 mins, no way I'm buying another vehicle without one.
I don’t get that luxury with the 18” Palmerstones.
I wonder if you drop the towbar and ask for the 80l FT instead !

Surely it can only apply to a heavy build like an Ocean 4 Motion 204 Engine with diff lock everything
I don’t get that luxury with the 18” Palmerstones.
I wonder if you drop the towbar and ask for the 80l FT instead !
I just had Morac confirm with brand support that my fuel tank, towbar, diff lock and spare wheel are all still included and not going to change. I don't have anything else heavy, so looks like mixed messages again.

nickb77 who is your dealer? It would be good to know where they are getting the information from as Brand Support are denying it and my dealer seems none the wiser?

There could be an EU vs UK spec in play here. My Cali Coast 199 4motion is LHD and ordered in Holland

I got pushed back another two weeks today, i think it was a punishment for asking the question about the fuel tank. That's 4 different dates in 6 days i have had.

Just got this from my dealer. Not good news and suggests talk of weight restrictions affecting delivery is probably spot on.

I have to inform you that because of environmental restrictions the 80L fuel tank has been removed from the option list of the Volkswagen California.

The new Co2 emissions require all new vehicles to cut in weight and the bigger fuel tank did not get through unfortunately.

I wonder whats next
They’ll only sell to people weighing under 10 stone.

Surely it can only apply to a heavy build like an Ocean 4 Motion 204 Engine with diff lock everything

I just had Morac confirm with brand support that my fuel tank, towbar, diff lock and spare wheel are all still included and not going to change. I don't have anything else heavy, so looks like mixed messages again.

nickb77 who is your dealer? It would be good to know where they are getting the information from as Brand Support are denying it and my dealer seems none the wiser?
It is just the 204 From what we’re hearing from various people. Is yours a 204 or 150?

Get a bin lid, some chicken bones and toss them onto the lid. Voila !

Got told on Friday my 204 4M build was in the "fat club", rebuilt yesterday minus the 80 litre tank and mud flaps and it's now OK to move forward. Still no build date but sounds like they're coming through slowly this week so waiting to hear news from dealer.

For what its worth I had a pretty fully optioned 204 4Motion with DiffLock and I was told the 80L tank had to go.

Put a pause on the whole ordering process now whilst I mull it over as I did quite want the 80L tank.

Also looking over the amount of delays here I had a feeling I wouldn't be getting the thing until at least winter time at the earliest which seemed a bit too far away for me.

Tom + Breeze has been first rate though, so thats something!

EDIT: I wonder what the actual reason is, weight, emissions or supply constraints? Strange how its still live in all the recent brochures and on the website and if it was weight, even allowing 20kg extra for the new SCR system, the van still had 380kg of payload capacity?

(From Config PDF):
Max gross weight 3.080 kg
Vehicle and driver weight 2700 kg

Last edited:
Its a weight issue over the front axle. The AdBlue tank is now 27L and that's whats preventing the larger fuel tank being an option with certain configs.

Indirectly its the emissions thats the blame. The increased consumption of AdBlue meant a larger tanks was needed. The 27L capacity now gives a range of 20k km before refilling

Oh I see, so its kind of emissions & front axle weight all in one go?

In my config PDF it says;

Weights
Max vehicle and trailer weight 5.300 kg
Max weight on front axle 1.620 kg
Max weight on rear axle 1.575 kg

So I guess the total potential weight on both axles is 3195kg so there's 115kg extra at play, wonder what SVTech would make of that and up-plating, wouldn't change anything with VW though I guess.

With that being said, if diesel is about 832g per litre we're talking about 8.3kg if we could even put a full 10L into the bigger tank, is that really causing it? Something else is afoot here I think, just not sure what. Anyway it is what it is I guess, the 80L tank was just a nice option to have with the diesel aux heater and the extra range it provided.

Thanks for the heads-up though appreciate it!

Oh I see, so its kind of emissions & front axle weight all in one go?

In my config PDF it says;

Weights
Max vehicle and trailer weight 5.300 kg
Max weight on front axle 1.620 kg
Max weight on rear axle 1.575 kg

So I guess the total potential weight on both axles is 3195kg so there's 115kg extra at play, wonder what SVTech would make of that and up-plating, wouldn't change anything with VW though I guess.

With that being said, if diesel is about 832g per litre we're talking about 8.3kg if we could even put a full 10L into the bigger tank, is that really causing it? Something else is afoot here I think, just not sure what. Anyway it is what it is I guess, the 80L tank was just a nice option to have with the diesel aux heater and the extra range it provided.

Thanks for the heads-up though appreciate it!
Our 4motion order has the 80 litre tank, tow bar, wood floor, art Velours, chrome pack, mud flaps, 235 tyres etc and we have been told no changes needed to the spec
What else weighs so much that some have to loose the tank?

Our 4motion order has the 80 litre tank, tow bar, wood floor, art Velours, chrome pack, mud flaps, 235 tyres etc and we have been told no changes needed to the spec
What else weighs so much that some have to loose the tank?
Battery / alternator upgrade?

Its a weight issue over the front axle. The AdBlue tank is now 27L and that's whats preventing the larger fuel tank being an option with certain configs.

Indirectly its the emissions thats the blame. The increased consumption of AdBlue meant a larger tanks was needed. The 27L capacity now gives a range of 20k km before refilling
AdBlue consumption remains the same due to more precise metering. AdBlue range increased.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...t6-1-with-two-scr-catalysts.39126/post-494458

Battery / alternator upgrade?
Mine had the battery upgrade, but even then if the PDF was accurate, wouldn't it have taken all the options into account when generating the final weight, I thought they had to now for WLTP/RDE stuff?

I have a small suspicion its just supply constraints on the 80L tank part?

Either way I've paused my order until the build constraints have levelled off a bit which is a big shame, but with the tank issue and the mass of people waiting and getting random changes to their order all the time I just couldn't commit to it, which is gutting but it is what it is I guess.

It is difficult to understand the reasons why some orders are being altered and some not, I have ordered
Cali Ocean 199/204 4 motion
Towbar
Driver Assist
Discover Media Pack
80lt Tank
Palmerston wheels
Electric side door
Art Velours
Plus a few other little lightweight things

It is scheduled to be built week 9 (1st March) and to date nothing has been said about any over weight issues and nothing has been emitted.
I guess there must be something causing this problem but as far as I know the price list options have remained the same since August when I ordered mine

It is difficult to understand the reasons why some orders are being altered and some not, I have ordered
Cali Ocean 199/204 4 motion
Towbar
Driver Assist
Discover Media Pack
80lt Tank
Palmerston wheels
Electric side door
Art Velours
Plus a few other little lightweight things

It is scheduled to be built week 9 (1st March) and to date nothing has been said about any over weight issues and nothing has been emitted.
I guess there must be something causing this problem but as far as I know the price list options have remained the same since August when I ordered mine
Oh so yours is going through as a 204 with 4motion and has the towbar and 80L tank as well.

V.Strange, must just be supply issue then as something doesn't make sense.

Real shame just going to sit on the fence for a bit I guess and wait to see how it all pans out.

My Cali Coast isn't expected to be built until July/August. The 80L tank was removed on a 199/204 DSG 4Mo with towbar. I do have wood effect floor but the weight difference should be offset by the manual vs hydraulic pop top. Can't be a supply issue. Just all very strange and incomprehensible.

Just strange how other people with the same kit as you have had it accepted by the factory and slotted for build?