Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 199 (204) order club

199/204...4 Motion Order placed 17 August still no build week

199/204...4 Motion Order placed 17 August still no build week

I've been on to the dealer and they were telling me I should have a build date in the next two weeks, my order placed 16th September so fingers crossed it won't be much longer to wait for a build date at least, I have to say it's all rather frustrating.

I hope all this pressure at VW and the California assembly line won’t effect the build quality, as they try to produce more vans, anything that’s rushed, tends to have a few more mistakes.
But, I do understand some of you didn’t know of the delays/long build times before ordering, unlike us, who ordered in December knowing the score.

I've been on to the dealer and they were telling me I should have a build date in the next two weeks, my order placed 16th September so fingers crossed it won't be much longer to wait for a build date at least, I have to say it's all rather frustrating.
It seems a number of Ocean 4Motion order on the forum have quietly received unconfirmed build dates. I ordered the day after you, 17th September and VW chat told me I now have a provisional build week 10, w/c 8th March.

I hope all this pressure at VW and the California assembly line won’t effect the build quality, as they try to produce more vans, anything that’s rushed, tends to have a few more mistakes.
But, I do understand some of you didn’t know of the delays/long build times before ordering, unlike us, who ordered in December knowing the score.
I agree, no one wants a poorly built vehicle. For me and I think others its not that we want the vehicle now, after all we couldn’t use it if we did have it, but what we would really like is transparency and information. I like many other have no idea when it might be built nor what the performance of the new 204 engine is, this seems to be a secrete. its all about communication and currently it is in short supply from VW

Is it actually a new engine that’s expected? I was under the impression it was just further emissions gubbins on the existing one.

That is the very point, no one actually knows but I am like you assuming it’s a derivative of an existing engine uprated. It would be nice to know some detail about its performance, fuel economy and emissions on something we are all paying around £70k for.

That is the very point, no one actually knows but I am like you assuming it’s a derivative of an existing engine uprated. It would be nice to know some detail about its performance, fuel economy and emissions on something we are all paying around £70k for.
VW might well know all the details about the "new" engine but not allowed to publish the figures until the EU Regulators have certified them and judging on past performance, certifying each vehicle type, FWD, 4Motion, Caravelle, Panel Van etc the Regulators make it a long drawn out process. I belive there were similar delays when EU 6 RDE 1 was introduced when the EU6 204 was downgraded to 199.

Well my build week just got bounced again, from the euphoria of Friday to the depths of despair today. Looks like this summer is going to be missed.

VW might well know all the details about the "new" engine but not allowed to publish the figures until the EU Regulators have certified them and judging on past performance, certifying each vehicle type, FWD, 4Motion, Caravelle, Panel Van etc the Regulators make it a long drawn out process. I belive there were similar delays when EU 6 RDE 1 was introduced when the EU6 204 was downgraded to 199.
The 150 details have been available for some weeks now, is the 204 a ‘new’ engine?

Well my build week just got bounced again, from the euphoria of Friday to the depths of despair today. Looks like this summer is going to be missed.
Went from week 6 to week 30 in the space of the weekend.
yes and now i am unconfirmed, with the faint glimmer that those can move forwards as well as backwards.

yes and now i am unconfirmed, with the faint glimmer that those can move forwards as well as backwards.
Reason given was multiple factors outside VW control including the failure to comply with RDE2

I am staying philosophical that i can at least miss the next round of price hikes and might end up with a MY22 at this rate.

I am staying philosophical that i can at least miss the next round of price hikes and might end up with a MY22 at this rate.
Wow ! So even "confirmed" means nothing and changes within a working day. What can I say? Hang in there.

So sorry to hear this @Dodge1311 - that's some delay. But they seem to be moving every few days so fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
Ive just checked mine & been told for Week 51
'm pleased to let you know that your California Coast is now at the end of production and is waiting to have its final quality checks completed before leaving the Hannover plant.

Luke04:27 PM
It should be in the UK within the next three weeks. :)

It makes you wonder why we can even ask if it's all a bit meaningless. Do you think it's a California issue or their vans in general?

Just checked on VW Chat - also had Ocean 4Motion unconfirmed build week moved back from Week 10 to Week 23!

Ive just checked mine & been told for Week 51
'm pleased to let you know that your California Coast is now at the end of production and is waiting to have its final quality checks completed before leaving the Hannover plant.

Luke04:27 PM
It should be in the UK within the next three weeks. :)
Fanstastic news @Jenny H . Cuffed for you.

Fanstastic news @Jenny H . Cuffed for you.
lol Chuffed!

Just checked on VW Chat - also had Ocean 4Motion unconfirmed build week moved back from Week 10 to Week 23!
They are making this up as they go along eh?
Backlog of 204's so push all the 150's into the long grass, so that they can (quite rightly) get the long awaited 204's underway. Are we saying that now we appear to have yet another 204 issue, and they now have been bumped? I am resisting the temptation to chase my 150 for an update, until they decide what the hell they are up to.

The 150 details have been available for some weeks now, is the 204 a ‘new’ engine?
No idea, but it is definitely a more complicated engine, and obviously something has changes as the power output is increased from 199 hp under RDE1 to 204 under RDE2.
there was a similar delay to the (204)engine for RDE1 that resulted in the engine output being downgraded to 199hp.

Same boat, ordered 25/09 and factory accepted 05/10. 199/204 4Mo, Ascot Grey, Sport Pack. “No confirmed build week, try again next week”. Repeat.

I see the Brexit risk as pretty much zero £ now. Especially as VW have the confidence to underwrite it.

I tend to set my expectations very low - VW are bang on trend so far!

Just a case of waiting impatiently - I anticipate my own interest waining over Winter, but hopefully I won’t move on to the next mad idea and stick with this one - and VW land the vehicle in time for Spring/Easter!

Haven’t heard from my dealer since I parted with a grand - don’t expect to either - they know most buyers can access the VW chat.

The worlds in a funny place right now - might be best VW holding the risk and our vans arrive when we are ready and able to use them properly.

Feel your pain tho.
Saul

Did you get confirmation that they would build Ascot Grey with the sport pack?
Its one of the colour schemes I was considering - the black sills & bumpers would contrast with the grey nicely, I am told that the VW computer says that the sport pack is not available with either the non-metallic colours or the two tone.