Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New order delays and 199/204 engine update

Does anybody know if the new 204 engine is more powerful or offers better mpg? At least that might help cushion the blow of delaying the build.

On day 1 it will be 5bhp more powerful and will stay this way unless it breaks an emissions target. Then on 1st service or recall will be remapped back to 199hbp + have increased adblue dosage to bring the emissions down.

Just joking...of course it's a completely new engine designed from the bottom up hence they cant give you the figures yet.

Hi Phil R, had it confirmed Today that more than likely our build week will be week 4, that means we won't see the 4 motion till March at the earliest. The only concern is the import duty changing. I can cope with waiting till March as I won't need it for camping purposes till then anyway. Just don't want to pay the £7,000 increase in potential duty.
Me too. VW chat finally confirmed it will not be this year. I've posted in the "6.1 Order Delays" thread but just to say I'm not too disappointed, as long as Boris & Co. sort something out!!

On day 1 it will be 5bhp more powerful and will stay this way unless it breaks an emissions target. Then on 1st service or recall will be remapped back to 199hbp + have increased adblue dosage to bring the emissions down.

Just joking...of course it's a completely new engine designed from the bottom up hence they cant give you the figures yet.
Is it definitely a completely new engine? I asked SMG and they didn't have any info on the engine. I would be interested where you found that it was. Thanks.

Is it definitely a completely new engine? I asked SMG and they didn't have any info on the engine. I would be interested where you found that it was. Thanks.

Sorry, was joking about the new engine. Expect it is the existing engine with a few tweaks.

That’s not great mate. So the fat lady has sung for you! How did you find this out, via the dealer or chat? I see you’re in Lancaster, did you order from Guy at Preston too?
I also notice you’ve ordered very similar to us - 199 4MO + extras + side bars, lowering and front spoiler!!
Hi Phil, sorry for my delayed response. No, we ordered from Adam at Liverpool Van Centre. They have been very good to be honest, however, getting a build slot has been difficult. Still not got one yet after ordering over a month ago!

As I understood it VW stopped developing 'New Diesel' engines as have all manufacturers and concentrated on Electric Power.

Most likely is that modifications to achieve RDE2 has resulted in a 204PS output.
More efficient combustion and emission control?

Just got an update from my dealer. Apparently delivery delays are due to VW having no more 199 engines available (remaining stock is allocated) and awaiting delivery of the new 204 engines. They also advised that my Ocean now has a provisional build date of week 50 with the new 204 engine (subject to engines being available of course), with delivery to van centre anticipated by mid Feb. Further update with confirmation of build date will be provided around mid November. Here's hoping !

Interesting, I wonder if they have now getting the 204 RDE2 engines in before Week 6 that was being banded around before?

Now we just need to hope that the new German lock down for a month isn’t going to impact anything further!!

Yes, very interesting. California Chris emailed me yesterday after he replied to my comment on his YouTube channel regarding the poor service we had at Liverpool. To be fair to him he has sent a long email apologising for the service I received. He also said that the current 199 orders will be 204's starting week 6, as previously advised.
Trade talks seem to have gone quiet too...no news is good news, maybe?!

God let's hope so. I've never been so interested in Brexit as I am now with a Cali on order destined for delivery Mar/Apr 21!!
Yes me too, like everyone else I was sick and tired of Brexit on the news, now I can't get enough of it :D

If a deal is reached I am going to be one happy soul. I'd much rather spend £4k on some accessories and trips out in the Cali than to the tax man!!!

Interesting, I wonder if they have now getting the 204 RDE2 engines in before Week 6 that was being banded around before?

Now we just need to hope that the new German lock down for a month isn’t going to impact anything further!!
Possibly the previous quoting of week 6 for RDE2 engines is erring on the cautious side in case of issues. No mention of lockdown impact, but that obviously would affect the timings.

Yes me too, like everyone else I was sick and tired of Brexit on the news, now I can't get enough of it :D

If a deal is reached I am going to be one happy soul. I'd much rather spend £4k on some accessories and trips out in the Cali than to the tax man!!!
Talks have progressed well, not that the media or the left will say that. State aid has progress. Sticking point is still Macron and his demands for our fish, so much so he has sent his EU envoy to brief against us on Marr on Sunday.the BBC and Marr will love that. I'm optomistic for you Phil.

Talks have progressed well, not that the media or the left will say that. State aid has progress. Sticking point is still Macron and his demands for our fish, so much so he has sent his EU envoy to brief against us on Marr on Sunday.the BBC and Marr will love that. I'm optomistic for you Phil.
Nice one, cheers for the update, you're much more reliable than BBC news :D

Well, I was originally told the end of January by the dealer. I suppose the recent VW chat confirms thats not happening!

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 12.08.00.png

HI Tim, I ordered at the end of September before the price increase. Factory accepted the order on 5th October, heard nothing more since. Due to the level of spec, I am told the delay will push us back to mid March. Probably not a bad thing. Just want to avoid any potential import duties as other people have said. Thanks Matt

Confirmed build daters for 204 engines have now been issued everyone just had mine confirmed as week 6.

Just had an unconfirmed date from and end September order. I was hoping for sooner than an 8-9 month wait :-(

I can see that your order is on status 10. This means Factory has set an unconfirmed build week of week 22 of 2021, which is the week commencing 31 May. This can change at any time whether that means it gets brought forward or pushed back.

Just had an unconfirmed date from and end September order. I was hoping for sooner than an 8-9 month wait :-(

I can see that your order is on status 10. This means Factory has set an unconfirmed build week of week 22 of 2021, which is the week commencing 31 May. This can change at any time whether that means it gets brought forward or pushed back.

Is it a 150? I suspect all the 150s are being pushed back, whilst the 204 backlog is cleared.
I’ve noticed a lot of recent comments re Coast 150 orders being pushed out to unconfirmed week 21. Ours was moved from unconfirmed week 6 to week 21 this week.

Is it a 150? I suspect all the 150s are being pushed back, whilst the 204 backlog is cleared.
I’ve noticed a lot of recent comments re Coast 150 orders being pushed out to unconfirmed week 21. Ours was moved from unconfirmed week 6 to week 21 this week.
No, that might be understandable but it is a 199 4-motion Ocean.

No, that might be understandable but it is a 199 4-motion Ocean.
I’m in the same boat. Ordered a 4motion at the end of sept and just checked but still no build week. I read somewhere that you can’t spec some combinations due to weight. I wonder if the new engines are heavier, if you have 4 motion and some other bits it makes it too heavy? Maybe that has added some complications... just speculating as the production order makes no sense and the delays are crazy.

I’m in the same boat. Ordered a 4motion at the end of sept and just checked but still no build week. I read somewhere that you can’t spec some combinations due to weight. I wonder if the new engines are heavier, if you have 4 motion and some other bits it makes it too heavy? Maybe that has added some complications... just speculating as the production order makes no sense and the delays are crazy.
Apart from Nav pro, I’ve gone for 80L tank, shower attachment and comfort mattress not a massive amount of extra weight. I’m pretty disappointed to say the least.

Makes no sense as @PhilR just got a March build date this morning and ordered in mid sept.

Back