Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Brand New VW T6.1 (Pics and Video)

I think you've made the best and wisest decision @Borris. The amount of money you will save vs one of these when they come off the shelf, will be eye watering, not to mention the discount and quicker lead in time you would have got.

I do like the T6.1 and if money was no object and I didnt have a T6 Cali, then great. However, money is an object and most of the new things are gimmicky things really and no way imporce the overall alazing experience of a California, hence its a T6.1 and not T7, the extra sliding door is actually a proper useful addition though (especially with kids), but again not a real deal clincher and defo not worth the £10k+ premium over a T6. Some of the charm of the T6 and California is the real dials, even retro like now and like most computers, the T6.1 dash will be old and slow in a few years, have 'old graphics' need updated firmware etc especially if a T7 has a Triple UHD 32k Tru Colour screen, and can u imagine the price of replacing one of them dash computers if it stops working after warranty :-0.

Enjoy your T6 and wait and smirk to yourself when a thread in 2020 comes up titled "My 6.1 dash computer has started showing VW adverts, how do I stop them" ;-)
Haha that last bit made me chuckle mark.;) and yes I would not like to have a dash glitch after warranty on one of those jobbys yikes..
it’s nice there’s no doubt ....not sure about the front end and bumper though...the price of a California is now getting stupid I mean surly 60k was as far as it could go ????
now I see them at 75k for a t6 our first California was 30k in 2008 and that was a se 130 manual now they have more than doubled .people will stop buying them soon it’s getting a bit stupid (it’s a camper van);)

Last edited:
Haha that last bit made me chuckle mark.;) and yes I would not like to have a dash glitch after warranty on one of those jobbys yikes..
it’s nice there’s no doubt ....not sure about the front end and bumper though...the price of a California is now getting stupid I mean surly 60k was as far as it could go ????
now I see them at 75k for a t6 our first California was 30k in 2008 and that was a se 130 manual now they have more than doubled .people will stop buying them soon it’s getting a bit stupid (it’s a camper van);)
I was at the show. Gob smacked at the prices. Even the beach I think was near 75k. I can't remember now. I'd had a few German bevvies. Paid 46k for my t6 ocean 2nd hand. And I'm very very happy with it. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Long live the simple t6

I was reminded the other day that the smoothness of those early ones make them easy to wrap (unlike the grainy surface of the 5.1s and 6s).
It was more the colour of the new units I am not liking much, then again I do like the grain effect on my 6.

and yes I would not like to have a dash glitch after warranty on one of those jobbys yikes..
I love simple. My current A6 had to have its entire digital dash replaced, fortunately whilst under warranty otherwise £2.5k. My wife's A3 electronic handbrake completely seized, low loader required to recover it - repairs were £1k+, out of warranty. My A6's electronic handbrake partially failed but outside of warranty - that was another £500.

Can't wait for our "simple" T6 Ocean to arrive in a few weeks with manual gearbox, manual handbrake and dash board with needles!

Looks a cracking Van but key for me would be understanding if all the dash upgrades actually improve the function of the Sat Nav? I have a 6 month old T6 and that’s my only disappointment! The congestion / traffic re routing simply is not up to scratch with the BMW system for example.

Any improvements here would be most welcome and might tempt me to get saving.

Does the bed not already do that lift up thing??
that arm behind underneath the bed board??? That’s what that does?????
It has 2 settings
the thing I do like on the 6.1 is the froli springs on the upper bed ,,
our Westfalia Columbus had them and it was so comfy.
I believe you can now buy a froli matt but it would mean removing it every time you drop the roof ....

Last edited:
Whoever designed those black alloys needs to sit down and have a word with themselves. They look like something off a Mk 1 Granada :Depressed
They were intentionally designed like that to make everyone spend another grand on the nicer, larger option alloys.

Agree on the alloys. So the T6 had "oh what big eyes you have" (headlamps) and the T6.1 has "oh what a big mouth you have"

I was at the show. Gob smacked at the prices. Even the beach I think was near 75k. I can't remember now. I'd had a few German bevvies. Paid 46k for my t6 ocean 2nd hand. And I'm very very happy with it. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Long live the simple t6

Actually I’m a bit worried about how unsimple the T6 engine is.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I'm starting to wonder whether the pull out cooker on the Beach might actually be bit of a gimmick in real life?

It looks great in an empty van, but in real life (e.g. on family camping trip) where the van is full then it would require quite a move round of stuff to get to be able to make a cup of tea (because most meals would be cooked outside anyway). So easier to have something in the drawer/ storage box to pull out and brew up outside. Also, with this system one gets tied to one specific gas cylinder (the not always so easy to get hold of rip off 904 cylinders). What do others think?

Does the beach normally have a small lift up table (like my old T4 Westy exclusive did). I think a small table (maybe pull out like the cooker) would be a simpler solution, and have the £12 cartridge cooker in a drawer with the kettle, coffee etc.
I'm surprised they used the 904 rather than cartridges. I suspect a big serious outfit like vw may be a bit wary of a 99p cartridge, but it's use would have been a whole lot simpler.

Does the beach normally have a small lift up table (like my old T4 Westy exclusive did). I think a small table (maybe pull out like the cooker) would be a simpler solution, and have the £12 cartridge cooker in a drawer with the kettle, coffee etc.
I'm surprised they used the 904 rather than cartridges. I suspect a big serious outfit like vw may be a bit wary of a 99p cartridge, but it's use would have been a whole lot simpler.

No the Beach doesn't have a small lift out table but one is very easily constructed out of a piece of 6mm acrylic.

Have to say I thought the video was a little funny and I was trying to work out the "incentive" behind the reviewers.

I came to the conclusion that it was just their style which doesn't work on me. The catch on the fridge did make me chuckle and I just dont know how I manage without the split worktop.

Have to say I thought the video was a little funny and I was trying to work out the "incentive" behind the reviewers.

I came to the conclusion that it was just their style which doesn't work on me. The catch on the fridge did make me chuckle and I just dont know how I manage without the split worktop.
They are a lovely young couple who have recently got married.

Their incentive, which appears to be working, is to get loads of free gear. Good luck to them - I like their down to earth style, even if tainted by their desire to get free gear.

I'm 52 this year and becoming an old git! Worked man and boy. No spoon.