Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Brand New VW T6.1 (Pics and Video)

Having just ordered a new T6 Beach, the announcement of the possibility of a second slider on the T6-1 is a tad annoying. I've always thought it could do with one, just like the Caravelle. However, I remain happy with my decision, as having only one slider hasn't been an issue for us in the last few years. Also as an option, it's almost certainly going to have a very hefty price tag.

The pull out stove is also a brilliant bit of design. A real innovative flourish by VW. However when you actually think about it, it's only a single burner stove that will do exactly the same job as the one we already have. Its attraction is in the way it appears out of the panel like something Q would has designed for JB. Very nifty indeed. Whilst I'd quite like to have one, if I'm honest, its main attraction would be as a gadget, a surprise to wow unenlightened chums and as far as we are concerned, it probably wouldn't get much use. With both of our previous Calis, SE and Beach, we have cooked a lot but rarely inside. This is partly because as an ex firefighter, I've always felt the cooking or heating water bit is safer done outside but also that's where I prefer to do it. It's part of that open air camping thing that helps to engender that all important sense of freedom. If we go out for the day we take hot water in a thermos jug. It might sound odd but it's always worked for us.

Someone mentioned retro fitting it.. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible. It looks like its a self contained unit comprising of two replacement trim panels encorporating the cooker and pipework. I imagine it could be a relatively simple job. However, if you decided to fit one, I am guessing that the parts bill would make you question your own sanity.

Last edited:
Having just ordered a new T6 Beach, the announcement of the possibility of a second slider on the T6-1 is a tad annoying. I've always thought it could do with one, just like the Caravelle. However, I remain happy with my decision, as having only one slider hasn't been an issue for us in the last few years. Also as an option, it's almost certainly going to have a very hefty price tag.

The pull out stove is also a brilliant bit of design. A real innovative flourish by VW. However when you actually think about it, it's only a single burner stove that will do exactly the same job as the one we already have. Its attraction is in the way it appears out of the panel like something Q would has designed for JB. Very nifty indeed. Whilst I'd quite like to have one, if I'm honest, its main attraction would be as a gadget, a surprise to wow unenlightened chums and as far as we are concerned, it probably wouldn't get much use. With both of our previous Calis, SE and Beach, we have cooked a lot but rarely inside. This is partly because as an ex firefighter, I've always felt the cooking or heating water bit is safer done outside but also that's where I prefer to do it. It's part of that open air camping thing that helps to engender that all important sense of freedom. If we go out for the day we take hot water in a thermos jug. It might sound odd but it's always worked for us.

Someone mentioned retro fitting it.. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible. It looks like its a self contained unit comprising of two replacement panels encorporating the cooker and pipework. I imagine it could be a relatively simple job. However, if you decided to fit one, I am guessing that the parts bill would make you question your own sanity.
I think you've made the best and wisest decision @Borris. The amount of money you will save vs one of these when they come off the shelf, will be eye watering, not to mention the discount and quicker lead in time you would have got.

I do like the T6.1 and if money was no object and I didnt have a T6 Cali, then great. However, money is an object and most of the new things are gimmicky things really and no way imporce the overall alazing experience of a California, hence its a T6.1 and not T7, the extra sliding door is actually a proper useful addition though (especially with kids), but again not a real deal clincher and defo not worth the £10k+ premium over a T6. Some of the charm of the T6 and California is the real dials, even retro like now and like most computers, the T6.1 dash will be old and slow in a few years, have 'old graphics' need updated firmware etc especially if a T7 has a Triple UHD 32k Tru Colour screen, and can u imagine the price of replacing one of them dash computers if it stops working after warranty :-0.

Enjoy your T6 and wait and smirk to yourself when a thread in 2020 comes up titled "My 6.1 dash computer has started showing VW adverts, how do I stop them" ;-)

Can’t wait to see the California pricing for 2020. With the drop in the pound, car prices are going one way.
I would say we are in for a serious slow down in car sales across the UK.
I’m sure the Germans must be very worried...

Interesting video of the new T6.1s showing fancy new control panel/dash and a few other tweaks.

Can’t wait to see the California pricing for 2020. With the drop in the pound, car prices are going one way.
Or down, if they come from outside a the EU, BMW,.Mercedes and the VW group will never let their strangled hold on the UK car market slither away so will price accordingly to absorb some of the EU tarriffs if a no deal happens (if that's the unfortunate direction we go), otherwise, there be companies all over the world ready to fill their places. We all want and needs nice cars ;-)

Still no LED headlights mandatory. Factory candles are still on some of those models.
I know, proper con using Halgon bulbs in 2020 and Charging customers £2k plus for them for modern' lights. Its will 2020, even the year sounds futuristic. At least seeing a 6.1 next to a t6 with halogen bulbs will make the t6 still look modern

Pricing appears available in Germany, which should be a good guide to relative difference expected elsewhere between 6 and 6.1. You can price up a full RHD 6.1 via the configurator 32601900-102A-440C-925F-4AE5CF7AB0CD.jpegon the German VW site, if you can follow the language.

Interesting video of the new T6.1s showing fancy new control panel/dash and a few other tweaks.
Great video, said to my children last night, who wants to see the new Cali t6.1, and of course they jumped out of bed.

Kids of course loved the 'transformer' element of the pop out kitchen in the beach "you have to get it dad" but my wife said "kitchen? wheres the fridge and sink, that's not a kitchen!!", not impressed using the word kitchen. Daughter loved the fully open "pop top bit" but i can already hear her screams when a wasp flies in (unless it has a built in fly net?) and my wife loved the safe and sensible double sliding doors so they kids dont have to dodge traffic when getting out. I looked out my window and said to my t6, dont worry, your not going anywhere :)

Daughter loved the fully open "pop top bit" but i can already hear her screams when a wasp flies in (unless it has a built in fly net?)...
If it's the same as the new T6 open front, it doesn't have a full fly net - but it will let the wasps OUT quicker! :)

If it's the same as the new T6 open front, it doesn't have a full fly net - but it will let the wasps OUT quicker! :)
Have to ever seen a wasp or fly by an open window, thy will bash into everything.and look in every nook and cranny before they go anywhere.

A good Cali friend of mine found out that UK Cali sales have been down year on year for the last two years. He said his source had told him that the new VED rates were probably the main cause. I used that useful info to drive up the discount on our new van.

With the current state of the pound, the possibility of a post Brexit 10% import duty together with the above info, I'd even question whether VW will continue to export Calis to the UK.

Pricing appears available in Germany, which should be a good guide to relative difference expected elsewhere between 6 and 6.1. You can price up a full RHD 6.1 via the configurator View attachment 49628on the German VW site, if you can follow the language.
Looks about 5% higher for the new model, plus no doubt most of the incentives and half of the discount will disappear initially. So perhaps 13% (? Ish) difference if you are weighing up a choice between the two.

Now if there was an option to have the sliding door on the correct side I’d go for that but I like only having one as it gives more storage and I can control which side the kids get in and out by parking appropriately.

The UK is Germany’s biggest export market, accounting for 20% of exports. (Most German cars sold in China or the US are made in China or North America so do not count as German car exports). A 25% decline in German car exports to Britain would therefore be a 5% decline in German car exports. Highly damaging but unlikely to be fatal.

Now if there was an option to have the sliding door on the correct side I’d go for that but I like only having one as it gives more storage and I can control which side the kids get in and out by parking appropriately.
If you holiday abroad a lot with the kids, you can now always have the door on correct side no matter what country you're in.

The T6.1 Ocean has had a few nice things added, but overall I think the Beach has had the better updates.

Another video.
A couple of my thoughts from this video.

Shame they didn't show us the inside panel of the 2nd sliding door. Do you get storage pockets or another table?

This Beach has A pillar retractable blinds. I wonder if this will make it to the UK

This Beach has a pull down rear Armrest in the rear (from Caravelle)

The new style wheels on this Beach are awful.

Compared to that Coast, this Beach looks very high spec. (Fogs, extra chrome, Alcantara) which is typical for a press release.

As always, it will be interesting to see the UK specification and options list.

Edit. Photo of inside of sliding door added and looks plain?

Screenshot_20190831-131815_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
The UK is Germany’s biggest export market, accounting for 20% of exports. (Most German cars sold in China or the US are made in China or North America so do not count as German car exports). A 25% decline in German car exports to Britain would therefore be a 5% decline in German car exports. Highly damaging but unlikely to be fatal.
You tell a bunch if shareholders, 'good news, its not fatal, its only highly damaging", the security would be marching you out the door before you could say 'b****cks to brex......

A good Cali friend of mine found out that UK Cali sales have been down year on year for the last two years. He said his source had told him that the new VED rates were probably the main cause. I used that useful info to drive up the discount on our new van.

With the current state of the pound, the possibility of a post Brexit 10% import duty together with the above info, I'd even question whether VW will continue to export Calis to the UK.
Must be the same over here, in 2019 the VED trebled in comparison to 2017 vans, I thought our 2012 140 was bad at almost 500 quid PA but a new biT is 1500 a year now.

I wonder if SAS got the same treatment on their aero emissions.

The Marco Polo coming on over here must have hit UK sales.

I wouldn't want this car under my motor home. What a waste of storage space. At dusseldorf. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the t6. 1. They were swamped at the vw stand. T6. 1 ocean was 89000 euro including German vat

IMG_20190831_134313.jpg

I wouldn't want this car under my motor home. What a waste of storage space. At dusseldorf. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the t6. 1. They were swamped at the vw stand. T6. 1 ocean was 89000 euro including German vat
That’s over £80k for an Ocean. Crikey. It ain’t that good. Brexit, impeding recession, war on diesel etc. Doesn’t look good. You can’t rely on those ‘rock solid residuals’ in this climate.