Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Brand New VW T6.1 (Pics and Video)

Swanwick? I had a rowing friend who was an ATC at Swanwick, ended up moving up to Manchester with his controller. Anyway, we're neighbours.

<<<<<Southampton Sports Centre

Looks a cracking Van but key for me would be understanding if all the dash upgrades actually improve the function of the Sat Nav? I have a 6 month old T6 and that’s my only disappointment! The congestion / traffic re routing simply is not up to scratch with the BMW system for example.

Any improvements here would be most welcome and might tempt me to get saving.
I just fit a Tom tom dedicated sat nav, so much better, and traffic re routing is just amazing and instaneous.

Looks a cracking Van but key for me would be understanding if all the dash upgrades actually improve the function of the Sat Nav? I have a 6 month old T6 and that’s my only disappointment! The congestion / traffic re routing simply is not up to scratch with the BMW system for example.

Any improvements here would be most welcome and might tempt me to get saving.

Did you order AppConnect? CarPlay or Android Auto will future proof your whole Sat Nav and entertainment experience.

I'm starting to wonder whether the pull out cooker on the Beach might actually be bit of a gimmick in real life?

It looks great in an empty van, but in real life (e.g. on family camping trip) where the van is full then it would require quite a move round of stuff to get to be able to make a cup of tea (because most meals would be cooked outside anyway). So easier to have something in the drawer/ storage box to pull out and brew up outside. Also, with this system one gets tied to one specific gas cylinder (the not always so easy to get hold of rip off 904 cylinders). What do others think?
Yes, i agree. Even the gas storage area takes up a compartment. That cool pop out kitchen means you would actually loose alot of storage on that side, and storage is an absolute premium in a Cali. I would have to opt for the storage as a preference and keep my Outwell mini foldable table and jet boil system, which also means i can take it outside as well if lovely weather. Im timed how quick to set up my system, 25 seconds, and yes, I agree, i do need to get out more ;)
20190906_121621.jpg

20190906_122349.jpg

Last edited:
I'm an air traffic controller, this is a hobby which we enjoy sharing. We paid for our California, no spoon here either!
My wife and I have watched all their videos (promise, we are not stalkers) and was one of the main reasons we got a vw cali. There honest and down to earth reviews about campervans, accesseries, campsites etc are brilliant, fun and combined with a genuine enthusiasm for all things VW California. Everytime they make a new travel vlog, makes me want to get out in the Cali. Keep up the excellent work guys and of course bentley :thumb @aBusAndBeyond.

Yes, i agree. Even the gas storage area takes up a compartment. That cool pop out kitchen means you would actually loose alot of storage on that side, and storage is an absolute premium in a Cali. I would have to opt for the storage as a preference and keep my Outwell mini foldable table and jet boil system, which also means i can take it outside as well if lovely weather. Im timed how quick to set up my system, 25 seconds, and yes, I agree, i do need to get out more ;)
View attachment 49939

View attachment 49941

25 seconds pretty impressive

How long to make a cup of tea though? That’s the real test

25 seconds pretty impressive

How long to make a cup of tea though? That’s the real test

If it’s a Jetboil, pretty bloomin fast

If it’s a Jetboil, pretty bloomin fast

That's not the question!

the question is how long (in minutes/seconds) to make tea including getting it out of it's packet setting up the table and stove lighting it finding the teabag finding the milk and teaspoon and the mug and actually drinking a cup of tea..... my system is pretty fast too....(anyone fancy a speed tea making competition?)

Yes good point.
I like my bag to be fully submerged for at least 4 minutes...

5mins all in (not the tea bag). Kit out of the bergen, boil in the bag food , large wet (hot drink), share with your oppos, and pack back away in the bergen ready to move.

I’d be interest in knowing if you can upgrade some OEM parts. I’d quite like the new control panel and the new bed springs in my t6.

I just fit a Tom tom dedicated sat nav, so much better, and traffic re routing is just amazing and instaneous.
Thanks Mark.

Can you replace the head unit with one of these or do you get a stand-alone one. We have the apps capability so might be able to do something with this

Did you order AppConnect? CarPlay or Android Auto will future proof your whole Sat Nav and entertainment experience.
Yes Reserves. Not really got to grips with that yet. We have App Connect and Car Play. Tried Waze briefly and seemed ok but not tested it fully. Any recommendations for good Sat Nav Apps?

Another vote for Google maps (on your phone or with app connect through your head unit). Yes I know you can get a bit stuck planning a new route when in the middle of no where, but that's easily overcome with a 2nd hand Tom Tom in the glove box for emergencies (or even the built in Sat Nav! ).
If like most of us you are concerned with minimising traffic conditions, then Google maps (and waze?) are crucial.

Tomtom go now works on CarPlay with downloaded maps so works happy without a mobile signal.
Just a reminder, Google maps works offline if you download the maps on your phone first. I had all of Scotland on my phone, navigated with it for a month, internet or no.

Needs the google mothership to do the work
Not for us, searched, navigated and rerouted for a month without connection. Works off GPS, which functions even in airplane mode. Maybe the issue is that UK doesn’t have an agreement with Google that allows downloading maps for offline use. We’ve run into that before in Croatia. Does anybody know?

Needs the google mothership to do the work
All these maps work for me offline, only for driving navigation. Walking, public transport, biking navigation do not work offline.
ACE44A27-1C09-41F2-B763-67E0AFFA9ECE.png

I had the previous Tom Tom Western Europe app on my phone but it stopped being supported and traffic no longer worked and it was the replaced by Tom Tom Go which I found to be terrible, has it improved?

I still have the Western Europe app with fully downloaded maps as a backup in case Google Maps won’t or can’t work.