Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

Managed to open my sunglasses holder with a sharp knife, alas, just a few wires behind it so the 18 spec beach doesn’t appear to have one.
Unless of course it’s an extra, which let’s face it, wouldn’t be too much of a shock.

How much room was there behind? Surely possible to fit an Ocean sunglasses holder into the Beach panel?

I was extremely careful with the knife :D
There was enough room behind for one. It simply seems the case that VW count it as an additional cost not worth stumping up for.

I should have added that the panel I removed is clipped in position. It may well be possible to retro fit a hinged cubby door, something I might look into when I get the time.

When pressing the accelerator on a DSG, there is an extra inch of travel which activates kick down. Unless you press really hard you may not realise it is there; I had quite a few miles on the clock before I found it.
(Maybe I should RTFM) :D

Done over 1000 miles in my new van. Just discovered this today :D

Did I imagine this or did this really happen?

I had my front wipers on and rear wipers off. To park I selected reverse and the rear wiper did one wipe.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

The little torch that comes with the van fits perfectly in one of the 12V sockets. I've put it in the cubby one as I have no use for the cigarette lighter being a non smoker.

... curious how else you've been charging the torch in the meantime. o_O

I had my front wipers on and rear wipers off. To park I selected reverse and the rear wiper did one wipe.

... It must rain so rarely on the other side of the Channel. :shocked

Ok, one for me now: when driving at night in a dark lane with the normal front lights on I notice occasionally that when nearing a crossing (is it the reflecting signs?) the car automatically puts on the strongest lights.
Or is it now me who's hallucinating?

Edit: it's been a while, thinking now if it was not the other way around, so dimming, which would be the logical way. Anyhow, it does sth automatic with the lights. No?

Last edited:

Normal. It presumes that if you needed the Front wipers On and are going to Reverse you at least need the rear window wipes/cleared.

I should have added that the panel I removed is clipped in position. It may well be possible to retro fit a hinged cubby door, something I might look into when I get the time.
The T6 Courtesy Van I had recently had a Glass holder case in place of the Drivers overhead handle above the door.

Normal. It presumes that if you needed the Front wipers On and are going to Reverse you at least need the rear window wipes/cleared.
As well as that, it puts the heater/air con on recirculate so you don’t suck in your own exhaust fumes. :D

If you have App connect & open Wase then use apple maps for navigation, Waze runs in the background warning of police, broken down vehicles, speed cameras etc. Quite superb!!

If you have App connect & open Wase then use apple maps for navigation, Waze runs in the background warning of police, broken down vehicles, speed cameras etc. Quite superb!!

Does it use lots of data...???

My waze also alerts me to roadkill

Are you still on the forum Martin??

No, data usage is marginal I think.

Just found out that you can’t rev the engine past 2500 rpm at standstill. Moving it around on the drive I thought I detected a hesitancy from the engine, so I put my foot down thinking it would clear it, and that’s when I found out. No warning lights or anything. Anyway, Google gave me the answer!

Reactions: SID
Just found out that you can’t rev the engine past 2500 rpm at standstill. Moving it around on the drive I thought I detected a hesitancy from the engine, so I put my foot down thinking it would clear it, and that’s when I found out. No warning lights or anything. Anyway, Google gave me the answer!

Well, that's something else I've learned. Thank you. Some modern engines won't run for long on an idling setting either, they just stop. Getting too clever for their own good.

Ok, one for me now: when driving at night in a dark lane with the normal front lights on I notice occasionally that when nearing a crossing (is it the reflecting signs?) the car automatically puts on the strongest lights.
Or is it now me who's hallucinating?

Edit: it's been a while, thinking now if it was not the other way around, so dimming, which would be the logical way. Anyhow, it does sth automatic with the lights. No?

Its the fog lights which turn on at low speed when turning with indicator lights on

Back