Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

They are designed to be left on all the time. There isn't a relay, they are either on full time or off. mine have been on full time for the last 5 years & have yet to fail.
I’m not sure about that. I’m a hobby mechanic and have done work in approximately 25 California’s (but only MY 2004-2009) (newer California’s do not exist in Norway). I have replaced a couple of wing mirror glasses. They do fail eventually, and always among those who have them on all the time...If they were designed to be left on all the time, why is there a on/off switch?

I’m not sure about that. I’m a hobby mechanic and have done work in approximately 25 California’s (but only MY 2004-2009) (newer California’s do not exist in Norway). I have replaced a couple of wing mirror glasses. They do fail eventually, and always among those who have them on all the time...If they were designed to be left on all the time, why is there a on/off switch?
On my T5.1 I wouldn’t exactly call it a On/Off Switch, more a multi position switch.
Fold Mirrors / L mirror adjust / Heater On / R mirror adjust.

I thought all Beaches have?
Yes standard on the Beach, at least it was on my MY2017 model.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Found this red switch underneath my driver seat a while ago, forgot to ask so I try here: Is this aftermarket from a preowner and is it to cut the leisure batteries off (for example in winter)? Thanks for any hints and help!
84fcec6c4443a8e47862ecb8b335c9ec.jpg

Found this red switch underneath my driver seat a while ago, forgot to ask so I try here: Is this aftermarket from a preowner and is it to cut the leisure batteries off (for example in winter)? Thanks for any hints and help!
That looks like a battery isolator to me.
I´ve seen them on large motorhomes.

UK RHD Ocean owners can slide the drivers seat fully back. LHD Calis are limited by the kitchen unit.

RHD Cali owners have to exit out on the road from the sliding door, LHD don't, we just hop on to the curb.

This is actually something I've been thinking about a lot for no obvious reason and you just reminded me with your post about the restriction of the driver seat. :) Even worse so that if you add a waste bin behind the drivers seat that limits you even more. It's just enough so for me to fit with some wiggle room if needed.

kGMKL11.jpg

Last edited:
What does 'kick down' mean?
DSG only feature.
Basically, when you put your foot down hard on the accelerator whilst cruising, this is interpreted as you need to accelerate quickly, say for a safe overtake. The brains in the gearbox drops down a few gears to help you. The same as you, in a manual, would change down from 5th to 3rd to get past a tractor.

Yes, looks like an isolator switch. I fitted one on my old T25 so I could disconnect the starter battery, for 2 reasons: 1. to reduce the risk of the ban being stolen, 2. to reduce the liklihood of battery drain when parked up or camping for a few days. If its like mine, you twist the red plastic key anti-clockwise and remove the key.

DSG only feature.
Basically, when you put your foot down hard on the accelerator whilst cruising, this is interpreted as you need to accelerate quickly, say for a safe overtake. The brains in the gearbox drops down a few gears to help you. The same as you, in a manual, would change down from 5th to 3rd to get past a tractor.
Thanks!
I've also noticed that sometimes when cruising downhill (with DSG), it automatically locks into a lower gear (eg. D2 or D3) to control the speed - as you would in a manual. This is my first auto engine, so no idea if that's typical.

Yes, looks like an isolator switch. I fitted one on my old T25 so I could disconnect the starter battery, for 2 reasons: 1. to reduce the risk of the ban being stolen, 2. to reduce the liklihood of battery drain when parked up or camping for a few days. If its like mine, you twist the red plastic key anti-clockwise and remove the key.

Thank you PeterE! Never used it so far but def a great feature!

RHD Cali owners have to exit out on the road from the sliding door, LHD don't, we just hop on to the curb.
Only if they restrict themselves to travel in the U.K. on the Continent it is very advantageous.:thumb

Thank you PeterE! Never used it so far but def a great feature!
I suppose you need to check which battery it disables - the starter or leisure. On the T25, I had to get a bit of re-wiring done so that the radio, cabin lights and cigarette charger would run off the leisure battery instead of the starter, and so I could use them while camping and starter disconneted. In old vehicles, its not unusual to get battery drain due to some minor short circuit or warning light that stays on somewhere.

I suppose you need to check which battery it disables - the starter or leisure. On the T25, I had to get a bit of re-wiring done so that the radio, cabin lights and cigarette charger would run off the leisure battery instead of the starter, and so I could use them while camping and starter disconneted. In old vehicles, its not unusual to get battery drain due to some minor short circuit or warning light that stays on somewhere.

Thanks again! I am going to check with my local garage. My guess: it disconnect the leisure batteries.

DSG only feature.

Yes DSG-only, insofar as the automatic box on a Cali is a DSG. But (in case anyone's really interested!) kick-down has been a feature of practically all auto gearboxes since they were first introduced widely in the 1960s. It used to be electro-mechanical but nowadays is computer-controlled. But from the driver's perspective you'll have the same throttle-activated 'overtake' down-shift on pretty much any automatic car or van you drive - okay, apart from a few exotic ones like CVT systems.

LIGHTS- interior mainly, and LEDs.
Some might already know this, but most of the interior lights in the living area are dimmable (only on split worktop models MY18?) and only on the lights in the pop up, rear tail gate, and strip under the work top. The ones in the cupboards don’t seem to do dim.
ALSO - you can have it so that the strip light under the work surface comes on when you open the doors, it lights up the back when you get in without having to manually turn it on!
Set the cab interior lights to auto (to come on when you open doors) then when door is open, press the strip light button twice. It will flash twice to let you know it’s activated. Hey presto. Then reverse method if you want to turn off. I found this out this weekend and I’m chuffed. It’s also in the book :headbang doh
Great tip. I have now set it.

It gives you free ice for your drink if you don't clear this part of snow before opening the side door...
poTZdRN.jpg

Catch 22 as I had the snow brush inside the small drawer and in a bit of a hurry to get the kids to school, didn't think before I opened it :talktothehand Thought I'd share my little mistake.

Last edited:
Back