Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

It gives you free ice for you drink if you don't clear this part of snow before opening the side door...
poTZdRN.jpg

Catch 22 as I had the snow brush inside the small drawer and in a bit of a hurry to get the kids to school, didn't think before I opened it :talktothehand Thought I'd share my little mistake.
Ha, snow like that in the UK and and there is no school ....:rolleyes:

Ok, one for me now: when driving at night in a dark lane with the normal front lights on I notice occasionally that when nearing a crossing (is it the reflecting signs?) the car automatically puts on the strongest lights.
Or is it now me who's hallucinating?

Edit: it's been a while, thinking now if it was not the other way around, so dimming, which would be the logical way. Anyhow, it does sth automatic with the lights. No?

OK, found it out at last:
" High Beam Assist
Available as an option, High Beam Assist automatically dips the headlights and prevents dazzle for oncoming vehicles, or vehicles traveling ahead. At night time at speeds of above 37mph, the system automatically switches the headlights to high-beam."

OK, found it out at last:
" High Beam Assist
Available as an option, High Beam Assist automatically dips the headlights and prevents dazzle for oncoming vehicles, or vehicles traveling ahead. At night time at speeds of above 37mph, the system automatically switches the headlights to high-beam."
Whilst you mentioned this...
If your HBA seems to be misbehaving, check for condensation on the camera lens.
It is mounted at the bottom of the rear view mirror mount facing forwards but it is not sealed against the screen so can suffer from condensation and thus defracts the the image it sees.
Once you have had the screen demister on for a while it will clear.

Last edited:
@Loz @Auberg-ine How do you know if you have high beam assist? Surely there must be a little more to it than just keeping the lights on low beam below 37mph? What’s the camera doing?

My last car had adaptive LED headlights which were very clever and allowed you to drive everywhere on full beam: it just reduced the lighting in a small zone around the oncoming vehicle or the vehicle in front.

That was my original question here on this forum. Who else has it? I just saw this option by accident at the VW site, and it corresponds with what I experienced in the dark. Guess it's time to dig out that Manual :talktothehand

I have it and only dips the main beam (it is called high beam assist) if the camera sees a car in the distance or streetlight etc. What I was hoping for was what our Mini has and that use matrix LEDs and just turns off portions of the high beam to create a "Hole" for vehicle in front of you.
However, it can be a little disconcerting for the vehicle in front if you are following another motorist around bending roads and they can see your headlights going on and off behind them and someone pulled over the other night assuming I was a police car :)

Did you know...
If you have adblue, that it is pumped back into the tank after you stop the engine...

Like it does with the diesel...:D

Didn’t realise the bottle compartment had a rotary knob to allow air conditioning in to cool it until today.Have been searching to update satnav and came across another thread bottle cooler and thought what !!
Saying that the dial is well hidden
Always something new
Use that tomorrow as it’s 36 in the south of france
Dave and lisa

Didn’t realise the bottle compartment had a rotary knob to allow air conditioning in to cool it until today.Have been searching to update satnav and came across another thread bottle cooler and thought what !!
Always something new
Dave and lisa
Any idea where it is I cant see it?

Always something new
Dave and lisa

Come on then you have kept us guessing long enough where is it :)

If you open the bottle compartment put your hand in over the bottle and towards the back at the top you will find the dial
Haven’t tried it yet as still parked up so hope it does the trick
1CC4B2E8-D25F-40DC-BC36-301F112EA531.jpeg

Oh, I'm off to try this now!

This is only on older SE models with the clips on one end of the table, later SE/ Ocean tables have shorter legs & no clips.
All beaches have the longer legs & clips.

Oh, I'm off to try this now!
I think it’s no longer possible to clip table to kitchen unit. I could do that in my old Cali but not in my19. Another cost saving for VW.

I think it’s no longer possible to clip table to kitchen unit. I could do that in my old Cali but not in my19. Another cost saving for VW.

Not a cost saving, the table that clips to the kitchen is too high really for the chairs in the boot.
They've shortened the legs to make it more suitable for use outside the van but by doing that they've made it too low to line up with the kitchen top.

couldn't find a way to clip it to the work surface...must be a bit different in my 2012 T5.

Is there a way to deactivate the daytime running lights on a 2012 t5? I tried the indicator - flash - 3 seconds thing described in the manual, but no joy. Sometimes I want the ignition on without lighting up the campsite! Thanks.

Is mirror folding configurable via VCDS on 2017 models?
Have you tried keeping your finger on the lock button when locking up? If yes and it doesn’t work, do your windows go up with one click of the widow button when sat it and running. Might sound weird, but it can be related and is easily rectified

Have you tried keeping your finger on the lock button when locking up? If yes and it doesn’t work, do your windows go up with one click of the widow button when sat it and running. Might sound weird, but it can be related and is easily rectified

Windows go up when I hold the lock button (if they are open). I would like the mirrors to fold when I lock the van, like they do on our Golf. It's a great visual cue that the vehicle is locked.

If your table has these extension parts your table will attach to the kitchen unit if not it wont. Simple as that. My old (two and a half years) has them my 19 dose not.
1566247201446.png

Not a cost saving, the table that clips to the kitchen is too high really for the chairs in the boot.
They've shortened the legs to make it more suitable for use outside the van but by doing that they've made it too low to line up with the kitchen top.
Ah, understand. Still a cost saving for VW. No more adapter brackets and shorter (less material) legs.

Back