Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tiptronic - what do you think?

K

Krispy

Hi all

So, what do all you owners and former owners of tiptronic Cali's think? Indeed, I wonder if there any of you out there - most of you seem to have the facelift DSG auto boxes, but I can't afford one of them.

I'm about to take ownership of a tiptronic myself, and really looking forward to it. But I must admit I'm slightly concerned about MPG.

Anyone managing to average over 30mpg in theres? Also, anyone know if the auto gear changes can be tuned for better economy?

Thanks!

Louise

I've got one!
Took me a while to get used to ours but I love it now. It's always seemed a bit lazy to me in terms of changing gear compared to a manual but it makes for a more relaxed driving experience which is what you want when you're on holiday :)

If you want a bit more control just flick it into manual which I do on occasion and there's also the sport mode but I've never used that.
Economy wise it wasn't great to start with, I was struggling to get more than 26mpg overall according to the trip computer but it has improved a bit with a few miles on it (though we've still only done about 10000 miles in 4 years!), we get about 30 now on average which I don't think is too bad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Freely

Glad to hear I'm not alone! If we average 30mpg then I'll be happy with that. 26mpg - not so happy.

Do you think driving in manual and changing up before the revs get to high would help the fuel figures? Sports mode sounds fun - but I've heard there's a high cost to pay for that...

L

Krispy said:
Hi all

So, what do all you owners and former owners of tiptronic Cali's think? Indeed, I wonder if there any of you out there - most of you seem to have the facelift DSG auto boxes, but I can't afford one of them.

I'm about to take ownership of a tiptronic myself, and really looking forward to it. But I must admit I'm slightly concerned about MPG.

Anyone managing to average over 30mpg in theres? Also, anyone know if the auto gear changes can be tuned for better economy?

Thanks!

Louise

I think its split on the facelift Louise between dsg and manual ,but that thread is another story ... Lol

Sorry can't really help with the tippy tronic question ,but sure there's Afew that can :)

I have a 2.5 litre, 2006 model tiptronic, bought from new and my wife and I find it very relaxing to drive, particularly on congested routes.

The one thing that initially irritated me was the slight lag in acceleration when moving off from a standing start, but I've got used to it.

My MPG figures vary according to distance, the longer the journey the better the economy, so long as you don't hammer it. I've also noticed that it is less economical in winter. My overall average fuel consumption has settled at 34MPG, but I have achieved 40MPG on long runs. I believe the 2 litre facelift model is a lot more economic.

...34mpg average, occasional 40mpg. I'd be more than chuffed with that. I've just got rid of a C4 Picasso 2.0 diesel which on paper is supposed to average in the high 40s. In reality, it averaged 38mpg.

So 34 mpg for hauling around such a big chunk of metal sounds pretty damn good to me.

L

61 plate 180se 15,000 miles. Trip to Cornwall and back last week, Heathrow to Falmouth mid load 25 mph head wind I could only average 29mpg. Next day a trip between St Ives to Falmouth keeping rpm below 2000 saw 43 mpg. So I experimented on the return journey wife drove Falmouth to Exeter and achieved 30.5 mpg. The next 100 miles I drove at no higher than 2000 rpm and that's 66mph on the flat, consumption got down to 33.6 mpg . Last 50 miles to Chichester set cruise to 2000rpm in 6th gear and it went down to 36.5 mpg so well happy. I must however warn you that VW turbo engines need a good thrash now and again to stop the variable vane technology on the turbos clagging up just cost me £1500 on Mitsubishi outlander ( uses vw 2.0 litre pd vw engine.) vanes stop working and engine goes to defence mode. So beware economy has its price :smile

Back