Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to happen quite a lot on here, the tread is about toilets and social distancing with obvious varying thoughts on what can and can’t be done to try to restrict a rise in infection as things edge back to normality.
How toilet use on a campsite worked it’s way round to the current get cabinet is crazy.
Then again it is something that I have mentioned on here and on other forums, one would hope that the public would apply common sense, others seem to think (coming back on thread) that the govt should give you exact instructions on how to wipe yr arse!
I hope I can count myself in the first bracket I don’t need step by step instructions from the govt on how to do,y ablutions.

A thought I have just had and it might be me being miserly.

If when sites reopen and we have to be self contained using a porta potti and having a wash in the washing up bowl rather than using the onsite facilities. Do you think we should get a reduced nightly rate?

A thought I have just had and it might be me being miserly.

If when sites reopen and we have to be self contained using a porta potti and having a wash in the washing up bowl rather than using the onsite facilities. Do you think we should get a reduced nightly rate?
I think we should try to give these sites as much help as possible before they disappear and where would we be then? I would still pay the going rate until they get back on their feet.

I think we should try to give these sites as much help as possible before they disappear and where would we be then? I would still pay the going rate until they get back on their feet.
I did say I was being miserly, I too will be happy to pay the going rate.;):agreed

Ok it was Wuhan or huwawei (5g) that started it. Not the current Govt

I have been contacted by a site we booked for mid July. They think they will be opening on 4 July but the shower/toilet/wash and dishwashing facilities will be closed. Water points and waste disposal will be open. I haven't clarified yet, but the e mail says they are open for caravans and motor homes with toilet/shower and wash facilities within the vehicle. I looked at another nearby site and they were absolutely explicit that you must have these facilities inside your vehicle. I suspect that they are limiting numbers on sites by only opening to caravans and motor homes to aid social distancing. This will be industry standard for the summer in the UK. Perhaps my toilet tent and solar shower have been a waste of money unless there is a different approach on the continent but European countries may not open to foreign nationals.

Ive just called a campsite here in Germany, they opened last week.

Toilets and shower blocks are closed so you have to have your own facilities.
Own facilities meaning proper ones inside your big white.
Outside showers not allowed so no Vw Calis, they will review again in the middle of
June.

Ive just called a campsite here in Germany, they opened last week.

Toilets and shower blocks are closed so you have to have your own facilities.
Own facilities meaning proper ones inside your big white.
Outside showers not allowed so no Vw Calis, they will review again in the middle of
June.

Same in Portugal, campsites reopening but facilities are all closed and only self contained units allowed on site. Correct decision, hopefully our government will do the same

We went to Southwold yesterday- fairly busy. But still easy to maintain social distancing.

The public toilets were open and being cleaned.

They were being used, people used common sense - it worked.

So whilst being respectful of everyone’s different tolerances to risk - toilets on a campsite could work. :thumb

We were at Lepe Beach last week and despite the vast number of people the toilets were well managed and visitors played by the rules and appeared to be happy doing so. Maybe there is hope after all.

It seems that the 'rules' and the implementation of them seem very haphazard. We had hoped that having the toilet tent, portapotty and shower it would be OK. We also have running water in the van to wash you hands after. Regarding the grey water from a shower, its easy enough to stand in a garden trug (which would also double for washing up in). Other than somewhere to pour grey waste its self contained.

I find the "must have an on-board shower" part a bit intrusive.

Who is it to tell me, apart from those I live next to, when to take a shower and when not?

Who is judging whether liberal use of wet wipes is incorrect and must be banned from camp sites?

If the sanitary block is closed and the rules are clear, no grey water disposal except down the appointed drain, who's business is it how we keep ourselves clean and fresh?

Who is it to tell me, apart from those I live next to, when to take a shower and when not?

Who is judging whether liberal use of wet wipes is incorrect and must be banned from camp sites?

If the sanitary block is closed and the rules are clear, no grey water disposal except down the appointed drain, who's business is it how we keep ourselves clean and fresh?
No shower, after a couple of days social distancing is no problem!

Bucket and supply of Tesco basic flannels does me.

They are not actually telling you when to shower, nor do they mention wet wipes or any other method of washing. In fact washing is not likely to be one of the rules. They own the site and have decided only to allow campers with full facilities. My guess is that from experience, they know that too many people will be temped to chuck waste water in the hedge or let it run under the van, let alone use the hedge as a toilet when its dark and nobody will see. Its a bit like restaurants that used to say I needed to wear a tie. So infuriating to me, but I didn't own the place.

They are not actually telling you when to shower, nor do they mention wet wipes or any other method of washing. In fact washing is not likely to be one of the rules. They own the site and have decided only to allow campers with full facilities. My guess is that from experience, they know that too many people will be temped to chuck waste water in the hedge or let it run under the van, let alone use the hedge as a toilet when its dark and nobody will see. Its a bit like restaurants that used to say I needed to wear a tie. So infuriating to me, but I didn't own the place.

I think you will find the "they" in this instance are not individual owners but the central advice given as essentials for re-opening. I'm sure on an individual basis many would be prepared to be quite flexible, if only to recoup part of a season lost, but as I said in an earlier post, the perspective is not ours, on how safe we can be, but it is the perspective of those advisers telling the government on how to manage a return to near normal whilst avoiding hotspot creation.

I do take your point about individual site owners being wary about the behaviour of others though, a good point so thank you. I think also if I was a site owner and been given guidance on how to do a risk assessment for opening then I too would be cautious, especially as my recent "public bog" issue shows how inflexible authorities can be.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what develops as regards access to toilet and shower blocks. I had an interesting email from my PI insurer this morning. Amongst other things it mentioned about director's possible legal exposure following return to work - health and safety of employees etc. i wonder if the restrictions, if there are any, will be led by the insurance companies and not the site owners?

I suppose campsites will need to provide decent Risk assessments prior to opening and anyone familiar with carrying out these will know that it is sometimes more sensible to eliminate the risk rather than manage it. If I were a campsite owner with the risk of prosecution or worse, I would keep the toilet facilities closed.

Don't mention those - worst I had to do was at last years Chelsea Flower Show for a wintergarden exhibit...........everything from delivery into site of components on large wagon from Germany to how to put a screw in the wall!!!! Bl***y nightmare............normal building sites are pretty easy compared to that so it shouldn't be hard to do a campsite based on the theory 'if it could happen it will so risk it out'!

Work places in a range of sectors from manufacturing, transportation, laboratories and retail have remained open up and down the UK during the emergency. They have all had to provide wash room and some shower facilities. There are more than 8 sets of guidance covering the different sectors which all as @Rich20 said require a Covid 19 risk assessment, a new requirement but campsites will have done risk assessments before. With respect to washrooms and toilets the guidance goes on to require a method to control numbers to maintain social distancing where possible, and enhanced cleaning regimes both during and at the end of the day.

I cant see the requirements being much different when campsites and other leisure and accommodation sectors are allowed to open. Combined with us all taking responsibility for cooperating with social distancing rules and good hygiene and hand washing practices, I don't see the risk of opening and using campsite washrooms to be intolerable.

If motor homes and caravans were not allowed access to the facilities if they have on board shower and toilet then those that do not could have access via a key, £10 deposit, and that would restrict access. If you had your own loo and wished to use wet wipes then you don't rent a key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back