Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M y daughter reports on the campsite they use (they have a caravan there all summer) has alternate loos available and strict one way traffic and dispensers etc. They seem happy with that solution. However the campsite is currently only available to the summer long campers - no short stays allowed ....

As @Mickyb123 just said, a lot of people have filthy habits. Anyone who has ever seen the disgusting mess left by others in the washrooms will know that.

It is for that reason that a lot, not just for their own self-interest or their own squeamishness or their own selfish self-interests, will want the washrooms closed.

They will be a potent source of infection even with those applying stringent hygiene controls. Whether we think lockdown is essential, unnecessary, over reaction, under-reaction or something that has happened too late is irrelevant. Lockdown has happened and it will happen again if the infection rate spikes again.

An opinion many hold is why risk a second lockdown by opening what could be a potent source of infection, especially as many of us are quite happy to camp with our own facilities and making do.

It is not just self-interest to say "I would prefer they are kept closed"and neither should it be inferred that those who express that opinion are somehow inferior beings that should remain at home whilst the rest of us brave ones venture forth in our vans. If you are so brave then nothing is stopping you anyway so why worry whether washrooms are open or closed? It is an opinion that given most people who go camping have facilities and can manage, or those who don't have facilities can still conjour up with wit and imagination coping mechanisms, why risk it?
You say why risk it? Alternatively, I say why be frightened of it?

Then don’t touch your faeces! Wash your hands before and after no 2. (You should anyhow)
The virus is possibly detectable in sewage, not sure its a transmission vector.
Your more likely to catch Cholera from sewage.

All this talk of toilet tents, pooing in a bucket, showering in a a muddy toilet tent is not my idea of a holiday or weekend away. Good Luck to the ones that want to do this but I will be staying at home until facilities are open .

Then don’t touch your faeces! Wash your hands before and after no 2. (You should anyhow)
The virus is possibly detectable in sewage, not sure its a transmission vector.
Your more likely to catch Cholera from sewage.
How do you think diarrhoea and winter vomiting bug etc are transmitted? People wipe themselves and dont wash after. Ive seen numerous people leave a toilet cubicle and walk straight out the door. There are some very unhygienic practices out there.

Covid-19 is a serious problem and should not be taken lightly. Some seem to be prepared to play fast and loose, on the assumption that they are smart enough to be invincible. But their willingness to be lax about the situation indicates that they are happy to extend the risk to others with whom they may come into contact.
The only proper response is to act like sensible adults and exercise discipline for the benefit of others, with the hope that this will prove to be the quickest way to get things back to normal.
Snowball, using a pejorative term to describe others doesn’t actually make your view any more correct.
You look at others from your ‘position’ and may think others are being “fast and loose” and it might suit your view to disparage them because in your mind they are the sort of people that “think they are smart enough to be invincible”.
Others may look at you from their ‘position’ and may think you’re “slow and uptight” and it may be in their mind that’s because you are the sort of person that “is so negatively cautious they end up frightened of their own shadow”.
Those two viewpoints differ only by the viewers position....not reality....and neither have significant merit.

The issue that I think remains is that one of those people wants to STOP all other people from being able to do something because it might possibly impact the few. Whereas the other one person wants to ALLOW all people to be able to do something because it is likely to only impact a few.

We all do things which negatively impact 3rd parties (Van belching out CO2, wood burners the same, Cooking on gas, use of chemicals, pharmaceuticals etc...by-products of which kill people all the time) so this just boils down to.....who are you to use your moral judgement to stop me from exercising my moral judgement.

That is the essence of this argument. You use your view on risk to reach a decision for you, let others use their own view on risk to reach theirs. Your view of risk is no more ‘the truth’ than anyone else’s.

Hiya folks, i've just received my cube 355. In readiness really should campsites insist on 'self contained units'. Thinking I might never use it but kinda glad i've got one now. I follow the mountain biking racing scene and sometimes they only put out one builders toilet! If this potti gets me camping again it will worth its weight in gold. With the bag it just slides under the multiflex shelf in the 2 seater Beach. I can fit 2 Thule storage beside it and a Cobb in front of the 355. Thumbs up from me. Question please: what chemical size bottles fit in that storage area to the lower cassette please.

Hello @Big Ron -

SARS-COV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19 has been detected in faeces (see attached article).

That potentially adds to any risks of catching COVID-19 in a shared toiled bock from contaminated surfaces.

I don't see any value judgements in the above statement, or any suggestion about how you or others wish to manage such risks.
Wash your hands.....

The biggest problem for campsite Owners would be complying with Covid-19 H&S guidelines which would require the toilet to be wiped down after EVERY persons use.

Until such a time as it is not required for Site Owners to comply with virtually unworkable hygiene practices they will simply keep the toilet facilities closed.
An option could be for any user to do the cleaning procedure after they have used the facility prior to the next person making use of it etc etc. I think not.
The user could wipe the toilet down before using?

BJG where are the H&S guidelines that say a toilet seat has to be wiped down after every use by the campsite owner?
Be interested to see that, In my workplace the public toilets are not attended by a cleaner after every user, so it’s up to the individual user.
If you can provide Link to the guideline where it says the operator of that toilet (campsite owner) is responsible I would love to see it.

As for Covid19 in faeces can I suggest going to have a look at other bacteria/ viruses protozoans that can be present. C19 is pretty low in the thing you should be worried about in a toilet

I don't think anyone should admit to being worried in a loo. Their own common sense, sense of hygiene and knowledge of what they could carry back to others should prevail. I was using campsite washrooms whilst Boris was declaring lockdown and the media was painting this as the worst infection since the Black Death and my own concern simply translated into being more careful.

However, it's not about us. I can just picture a campsite, full because everyone is straining at the leash, half the population kids because not at school, we've all seen it, playing with others, social distancing goes to the wall, suddenly need to go to the loo, mummy and daddy's caravan the other side of the campsite .... excitedly just rush in, touching door handles, cubicle walls, toilet paper dispenser, a quick splash of water on the hands, touching taps, more door handles ... excitedly dash out again .......

Just a scenario. Don't all get excited. Just look above "ME" and how "ME" is sensible and prepared to fend for "ME" when factoring in the risks. Another spike traced to a campsite, assuming we now have tracing, and all of us are no longer camping. Worse, another spike, another hotspot, another partial lockdown and a lot of people their lives completely screwed up.

Risk management sometimes is quite simple! If you want the risk level to be zero, then don’t do it!
The country could reduce deaths caused by RTA to zero tomorrow, it’s simple ban all road traffic.
Transmission of diseases through people using public toilets, simple, never open public toilets again. Everything we do in life has a risk.
Scenario suggested in the last post, First part with child rushing in and out thats then the parents responsibility to manage. Same thing could happen in any public space not just a campsite.
As for everything that one child touched, just like anywhere else in the world at the moment is the responsibility of the next person to think about what could be on door handles, surfaces etc, the reality is though that is a risk that has always been there!

So the child scenario, pre c19 not that much was different,

Risk management sometimes is quite simple! If you want the risk level to be zero, then don’t do it!
The country could reduce deaths caused by RTA to zero tomorrow, it’s simple ban all road traffic.
Transmission of diseases through people using public toilets, simple, never open public toilets again. Everything we do in life has a risk.
Scenario suggested in the last post, First part with child rushing in and out thats then the parents responsibility to manage. Same thing could happen in any public space not just a campsite.
As for everything that one child touched, just like anywhere else in the world at the moment is the responsibility of the next person to think about what could be on door handles, surfaces etc, the reality is though that is a risk that has always been there!

So the child scenario, pre c19 not that much was different,

So in your judgement there is no risk that opening campsite toilets will cause a spread of infection?

So in your judgement there is no risk that opening campsite toilets will cause a spread of infection?
Jen, it’s not about ‘no risk’, everything has risk.
It’s a scenario which could happen as could lots of other things happening.
Another scenario is a village of children in Nigeria dying because of Carcinogens in their environment caused by the extraction of Petrochemicals which could go to fuel your camper-Van, or make your clothes or give you electricity.....or that might just not happen either....but you’re still carrying on regardless as am I.
We all do things that actually DO harm to other people, are we going to stop them?
Air pollution is estimated (WHO) to kill 4.6 Million people every year yet you’re driving a CO2 heavy vehicle. Perhaps that would be a better area for us all to make a contribution rather than worrying if one child taken short does/not wash their hands?
There has to be a perspective taken on all risks, I accept that I may not be right... but It looks to me that 4.6 Million people dying every year is a whole lot more serious than 300-500k people this year with Covid. We’re sweating the small stuff worrying about toilet blocks!

If it helps...here is an extract from Professor David Spiegelhalter, expert in Risk from Cambridge University and is a key Government Advisor. It’s worth reading maybe?
============
How to quantify your risk?
Those with pre-existing health conditions are most at risk. Deaths among under-65s with no illnesses are "remarkably uncommon", research shows.

Perhaps the easiest way is to ask yourself to what extent you are worried about the thought of dying in the next 12 months.

What is remarkable about coronavirus is that if we are infected our chances of dying seems to mirror our chance of dying anyway over the next year, certainly once we pass the age of 20.

Chart

For example, an average person aged 40 has around a one-in-1,000 risk of not making it to their next birthday and an almost identical risk of not surviving a coronavirus infection.

And that is the average risk - for most individuals the risk is actually lower than that as most of the risk is held by those who are in poor health in each age group.

So coronavirus is, in effect, taking any frailties and amplifying them. It is like packing an extra year's worth of risk into a short period of time.

If your risk of dying was very low in the first place, it still remains very low.

As for children, the risk of dying from other things - cancer and accidents are the biggest cause of fatalities - is greater than their chance of dying if they are infected with coronavirus.

During the pandemic so far three under 15s have died. That compares to around 50 killed in road accidents every year.
============

Thanks Ron you answered the question.
GJ driving to and from the campsite presents a risk, but that’s a risk you are willing to take. And a risk you take every time you go out on the road.
Stopping at the services on route and using the toilets is a risk.
Going to the supermarket to buy the food you are going to take to the campsite is a risk. (Imo, much much higher than facilities at a camp site)
When the cafes and food outlets open the risks associated with use of facilities and food handling is one that we all accept.
Any! Relaxation of the current situation, risks an increase in transmission of this one particularly virus but it’s a risk not a definate.

Jen, it’s not about ‘no risk’, everything has risk.
It’s a scenario which could happen as could lots of other things happening.
Another scenario is a village of children in Nigeria dying because of Carcinogens in their environment caused by the extraction of Petrochemicals which could go to fuel your camper-Van, or make your clothes or give you electricity.....or that might just not happen either....but you’re still carrying on regardless as am I.
We all do things that actually DO harm to other people, are we going to stop them?
Air pollution is estimated (WHO) to kill 4.6 Million people every year yet you’re driving a CO2 heavy vehicle. Perhaps that would be a better area for us all to make a contribution rather than worrying if one child taken short does/not wash their hands?
There has to be a perspective taken on all risks, I accept that I may not be right... but It looks to me that 4.6 Million people dying every year is a whole lot more serious than 300-500k people this year with Covid. We’re sweating the small stuff worrying about toilet blocks!

I quite agree Ron, and @Mickyb123 there has to be a perspective taken.

However it is not mine, nor your, perspective that is doing untold damage and inflicting terrible miseery to millions in our society. It is the perspective of the government and the advisors who advise them. I used to climb bloody big mountains, as big as they get, and in Europe as nasty as they get, but that was me and my own personal risk management. This is not.

I want lockdown to end. It will only end once the people who's risk perspective governs lockdown are satisfied that the rate of infection, and the falling ill of the few who will be seriously ill with this virus, are not seen to being denied medical treatment because the numbers ill have overwhelmed the NHS.

If the rate of infection goes up, lockdown goes on longer. Not my choice, not my perspective, not my wish, no my take on risk management, but a fact of life,

If hot spots are detected, where social distancing is not taking place, and sites of activity are, in the perspective ofbeing taken by those who govern lockdown, providing possible hot spots of infection, they will be closed down. Then those of us prepared to go without, manage our own facilities, live a cave woman existence, will be denied. For a few weeks left of this year is it really worth creating a potential hotspot so a few people can have facilities (and one of those who need them is my Sister who I travel with so I am a loser by them being closed). Is it worth the risk that others who ordain these things decide others will have to suffer more misery, loss of employment etc. because a potential hotspot has been created?

It is not my perspective but it is the one I have to live with and it is the one I have to worry about when expressing my concern over the damage done by lockdown.

On a lighter note, I can give you a possibly unique perspective.

One of my more delightful jobs is to serve on a committee managing public bogs. When lockdown was proclaimed "WE", for it was a collective decision, voted to keep the bogs open. Most of the people who serve on the committee are beach hut owners who use the bogs most. I am on it because I helped secure the funding to acquire the lease from the local authority.

About four days ago the police were called to my local village. A complaint of masses of people on the village green, there because a local pub was serving "take-aways". Probably no risk at all and many would say he was providing a necessary service. As is the case with these things people mentioned others that were congregating around the public bogs.They were. Two people walking their dogs, one stops for a pee, another stands outside with dog on lead, two people passing stop to talk, someone else stops at the loo .... within minutes there could be a cluster of 12 people out there. I mention 12 because I counted when I walked back :)

So, net effect? Pub owner gets a veiled threat about when his license comes under review and we have been warned about a closure notice for the bogs. Brilliant! Even though I voted for closure when we took the vote I probably need them more than most! Every time I run that part of coast, most days, I have a Tena lady moment and found them strategically invaluable :shocked

Not my own perspective Ron, mine is that the only thing that will slow this infection rate of this virus to something that doesn't overwhelm the NHS is herd immunity and managed steps towards that aim should be the focus but can only be achieved by contact tracing.... however contact tracing will also highlight hotspots and as I have just seen, 4 days ago, there is no argument, hotspots identified - hotspots closed.

Last edited:
Good reply Jen.
Herd immunity was suggested by some and that then brings the accusations that the govt are sacrificing the vulnerable. The fact some vulnerable choose not to protect themselves then becomes the issue.
Society has to get back to some sort of normality, the current situation cannot be sustained.
The situation with south coast beaches for example, similar to your village and pub selling take away. If folk are sat on a beach keeping a sensible distance apart is that a problem? Beauty spot locals, demanding that folk stay away is again an interesting one. All about increase demands on local services like the NHS. The reality is NHS was not overwhelmed as predicted, NHS casualty departments are empty.
Are campsites safer than hotels? You could argue both ways. Camping is outdoors, but yes with shared facilities like toilets. Hotels you have your own facilities but you are climbing into a bed someone climbed out of 12 hours before!
Contact tracing! It’s fine as long as everyone does it..

Use of Campsite facilities could be easily controlled with Keycard entry. Came across numerous sites in Scandinavia that used such systems and some that could even control the number entering such facilities and directing you to another toilet block.
Sites that have such a system could then restrict such cards to those who require them so Motorhomes and Caravans with full facilities don’t have them and others could.
Outside entry toilet cubicle with external hand washing facilities, unless of course you routinely suck you fingers whilst on the throne, could become the norm.

Use of Campsite facilities could be easily controlled with Keycard entry. Came across numerous sites in Scandinavia that used such systems and some that could even control the number entering such facilities and directing you to another toilet block.
Sites that have such a system could then restrict such cards to those who require them so Motorhomes and Caravans with full facilities don’t have them and others could.
Outside entry toilet cubicle with external hand washing facilities, unless of course you routinely suck you fingers whilst on the throne, could become the norm.

Agreed.

However the current status is few have them so the immediate status is those controls by large will not exist. It is a good suggestion though that could help mitigate the risk. Anything that gets things open is worthwhile.

[I want lockdown to end. It will only end once the people who's risk perspective governs lockdown are satisfied that the rate of infection, and the falling ill of the few who will be seriously ill with this virus, are not seen to being denied medical treatment because the numbers ill have overwhelmed the NHS.]

GJ has identified the crux of the matter.
We elected a government and as far as I am concerned, I want them to govern.
They say they are following the science, etc. and they have that benefit which we do not. I therefore expect them to take the best informed decisions relating to any action required and give the population at large clear mandatory instructions about what has to be done. In general the public respond positively to this in the UK.
Unfortunately, to me that is not happening. Where clear and unambiguous details of what is required should be given (which does, I agree, take some effort), we have had "advice" which is so open to interpretation that we are now in a state of near chaos regarding what is and is not "acceptable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back