Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to France November 2021

I’m surprised there isn’t a Union Jack on it like the daft GHIC card…
You can have a Union Jack on the UK number plate. Union Jack in place of EU star circle and UK in place of GB.

Yes agree, make sure your van is legal for the country you intend to visit, some may think it petty, but it is the law, and we expect those who drive in UK to comply with our laws when here.
Interestingly I found it challenging to establish if I needed an International Driving Permit to drive in France, frustrating that the UKGov website referred me to telephone the French Embassy. - Still not sure if I needed them, but for just over a fiver each I thought perhaps wise to get them in view of the current political situation!
UK licence good for France but not in ALL EU Countries. Like many things post Brexit a bit messy mainly due to there not being an EU wide standard.

Definitely worth printing out everything too. Was a failure of NHS app last week and loads of people with info electronic were denied boarding on flight
I had both but found that the Printout was simpler than using the App as it could be added to all the other paperwork when booking on and off the Ferry. Customs scanned it.
Watched cars in front fiddling about with phones for ages.

UK licence good for France but not in ALL EU Countries. Like many things post Brexit a bit messy mainly due to there not being an EU wide standard.
Which countries is it not accepted in? Assuming it’s a photo card and not the old paper one it should be valid anywhere surely?

I had to change mine for a Spanish one, straight swap and kept all categories - didn’t want to lose the Motorcycle A permit. I did lose my >3500kg permit - they said I could keep it if I had a recent medical test but I couldn’t be bothered (the test is quick and easy but i’d waited months for the appointment so wasn’t prepared to come back another time!) so just accepted losing it.
But that was literally the only difference - that category came “free” with passing the UK car test in 1990, but it requires a five yearly medical in Spain.

I had both but found that the Printout was simpler than using the App as it could be added to all the other paperwork when booking on and off the Ferry. Customs scanned it.
Watched cars in front fiddling about with phones for ages.
We spent ages leaving the UK because the people ahead had no idea about anything. I guess they had to down load apps, certificates etc.

Only question the police in France asked me was if I had crossed border from Spain, this was on motorway toll booth nowhere up near Claremont so nowhere near the border. He accepted my word didn’t ask for proof.

Only question the police in France asked me was if I had crossed border from Spain, this was on motorway toll booth nowhere up near Claremont so nowhere near the border. He accepted my word didn’t ask for proof.
Interesting. We came up from Gibraltar, through Spain to France, Calais. No one asked anything except British passport control and they asked: "Been anywhere nice?" I said: "Yes".

This was a random police check at one of the Tolls, random vehicles being stopped and questioned. Didn’t mind gendarmerie were very polite and happily sent me on my way.
shame we can’t do same sort of checks on UK roads.
UK passport control leaving UK were more questioning to be honest.

We got stopped a few miles into France by the border police (coming from Spain in a french registered hire car this October) - not sure what they wanted but were polite etc.

Has anyone travelled to France in recent weeks and if so can you update us on actual requirements for proof of accommodation? We are hoping to ’wild’ camp for a few nights in France soon, but it is not clear whether this is possible. There was speculation in May that an actual accommodation booking was going to be needed, but nothing about this on uk gov website. Anyone been recently?
Yes, I've just returned. There was no box for Address as I remember 2 weeks ago, just destination. I put the name of town I was heading for. No questions were asked.

A potential problem may arise from December 15th as Macron has said that the French must have a booster jab after the 6 months point or their Covid Pass will not be valid.

From that I'd expect that if over 6 months from 2nd jab and no Booster jab anyone from the UK will be regarded as not having a jab and subject to that regime. Quarantine etc.

Not really a problem booster jabs are well on track in the UK so easy enough to be compliant

Not really a problem booster jabs are well on track in the UK so easy enough to be compliant
If they get the Booster Jab added to the current UK Covid Pass certificate.

that’s how the system works. Easily available on NHS app

Problem mentioned as a caution to anyone NOT bothering with a Booster as may think that double jab will suffice.

Booster booked on Friday and will test the NHS Covid system soon afterwards for updated status.

I can see every vaccination I have had in recent history on my nhs app. Might not show a QR code for booster but see no reason why it will not in the near future

I can see every vaccination I have had in recent history on my nhs app. Might not show a QR code for booster but see no reason why it will not in the near future
Different systems. I’m sure it will come eventually, but not tomorrow, or next week.

Hi Bob
We are in the Algarve and I can only say what I have seen in the Lagoa area. GNR regulary carry out road checks on the N125. When they stop UK vehicles they now check the back of the vehicles. I have recently spoke with two families who were both fined 50€ for not having a UK badge.

A more pressing issue is the prevention of coastal wild camping, we watch the police patrol the known parking places on the cliff tops at dusk and move the campers on. I have been told campers have been fined for parking but this has not been substantiated.
I was in the Algarve a couple of weeks ago and was really surprised at the amount of vans wild camping, especially as I’ve read that police are clamping down on it. Very near to Lagoa too.

A potential problem may arise from December 15th as Macron has said that the French must have a booster jab after the 6 months point or their Covid Pass will not be valid.

From that I'd expect that if over 6 months from 2nd jab and no Booster jab anyone from the UK will be regarded as not having a jab and subject to that regime. Quarantine etc.

This bits interesting because I read the same elsewhere, with French ski resorts to be instructed to check Covid apps before allowing skiers onto the lift systems…
At the moment, i have an issue where I won’t be able to have the booster.
I was hoping to get over to Chamonix in December for a much needed ski break.

This bits interesting because I read the same elsewhere, with French ski resorts to be instructed to check Covid apps before allowing skiers onto the lift systems…
At the moment, i have an issue where I won’t be able to have the booster.
I was hoping to get over to Chamonix in December for a much needed ski break.
France now have said that from 15 Dec if more than 6 months and 5 weeks since second Covid jab proof of a Booster will be required to comply with the TousAntiCovid pass being valid.

from that you would either need to be inside the 7 month period or take a trip ending before 15th Dec to comply.

Back