Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

two vents in Cali roof

Paul1

Paul1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Has anybody done a neat job in covering the two vents in the roof. Why they did not fit them as the others with zips I think was a mistake. Been away these last few weeks and the heat loss and draught was big. Got the topper but during the day it was quite warm and as we were moving on each day I couldn't be bothered putting it on. I don't want to cover them with Duck tape because it looks like your covering up a repair plus will the adhesive react with the material ? Paul. :help

Why cover the vent holes ? Be aware that they might safe your life in case somthing happens with the gas botle , personaly i always sleep with a ventilation any season... Even when themp. minus zero . No vents also creates a condens problem .
If you still want to cover them up , i think maby something with velco wold be handy ....

Gas is heavier than air, vent holes should be at floor level. By the time gas got up there it would be too late and the cali would be be one big bomb. As for condensation, you can leave one of the big zipped vents open. Whats the point in having heating on and having it wasted going out the holes in the roof.

Ah yes the good old Scottish midgie!!
Have been out camping and hill-walking and this last week has indeed seen the arrival of the Scottish midge, that scourge of Scottish tourism!
We bought our van some 17 months ago and realised immediately that the screens in the roof and the ones provided for the sliding windows have too large a mesh for these little blighters.
However, I though if I keep everything shut I'll be OK. After all, how many can possibly find those two little vents at the top? The answer is bloody thousands. They found those two routes and just poured through!
I am now looking at www.midge.net with a view to buying some proper netting (VW please note) which will need to be stitched over the top of the existing inadequate stuff. That will be quite time consuming. So.....does anyone have a better idea?

Our first night in our Cali was at Easter in Stratford. Overnight it was about -6 degrees and the two vents acted as perfect openings for the freezing air to pour in on our heads. We now have a Mutze and the problem is solved.

It seemed more sensible than buying a couple of balaclavas :laugh2

Hi

Regarding midgie-proofing, we did this last weekend. We acquired a metre of mesh from the friendly Jerba conversion people in North Berwick as they are local to us, although you can buy the mesh online as well. Covered the small vents by sewing thread through the mesh and the gathered seam that surrounds the vent although it is painful on the thumb, pushing the needle through. Later did the same to the front panel zipped window by threading along the edge of the existing mosquito mesh without going through the cotton material at all and by leaving a reasonable overlap surplus which doesn't interfere with the zip, it seals around the edges, they shouldn't get in at all. We now realise we could have done the small vents this way (threading through the mesh only) as well and saving on thumb pain! About 2 hours for the three of them.

Still need to road-test in Rannoch or somewhere full of midgies but looks like it works!

Hope this is helpful.

Many thanks, had come to exactly the same conclusion myself. Will be onto that job this weekend!

Hi all know this is an old post but did anyone have a good working solution for this.

Just about to try and make some material patches with velcro.

Hi all know this is an old post but did anyone have a good working solution for this.

Just about to try and make some material patches with velcro.
Incarpaul - did you manage to get a workable patch made please? We too need something like this!

Regarding the roof vents (and windows), is the mesh midge proof? (Sorry haven’t looked).

Maybe this solution?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Regarding the roof vents (and windows), is the mesh midge proof? (Sorry haven’t looked).
no for sure, I sowed midge net in.
Also retro fitted midge net in the vw window frame fly nets, easy in the end.

no for sure, I sowed midge net in.
Also retro fitted midge net in the vw window frame fly nets, easy in the end.
Thanks. I have some ultra-fine mesh I use to keep flea beetles off my Brassicas :) :)
Might repurpose a few bits.

Don’t forget the vehicle heater air intake.:thumb
In 6 years in the highlands, 600 nights, summer and winter don't think I have had that even in Skye with midge so thick you could cut them with knife in the last camper.
Since getting the cali just before covid not had as many nights in such bad midge conditions yet so hope its not an issue !

Before we traveled to Scotland in 2015, we ordered mosquito nets from Streme.co.uk in England. Went very quickly, within a week the order was with us in Holland.

I had bought 2 meters "extra fine" with 20 x 30 gaps per square inch. These holes are small enough to block the little blighters. Color charcoil. This was more than enough to cover the three big tent vents in the attic room, plus the ventilation holes in the top.

Wasn't cheap: at the time it was £ 35.50 plus £ 6 for the post office.

I sewed velcro on the seams of the vents and on the nets, using a bent furniture needle. So the midge nets are removable. Also made one in the sliding window above the kitchen block. This comes at a price: the very small holes obstruct ventilation on warm days. But hey, it's Scotland...

However, the benefit is questionable. You only have to open the sliding door in the evening for a quarter of a second to receive three billion mosquitoes (rounded).

BTW: Here's a travel report on our journey to Scotland, in the wettest summer of the century. Twelve pdf files, in German though...

caliboard.de/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=31920

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

In 6 years in the highlands, 600 nights, summer and winter don't think I have had that even in Skye with midge so thick you could cut them with knife in the last camper.
Since getting the cali just before covid not had as many nights in such bad midge conditions yet so hope its not an issue !
Just make sure all the heater vents are closed.

Don’t forget the vehicle heater air intake.:thumb
For the normal dashboard heating system all the air comes via a pollen filter, the auxiliary heater is sealed from the outside & just draws air from inside the van.
So shouldn’t be any chance of midges coming in via either of those routes.

Has anybody done a neat job in covering the two vents in the roof. Why they did not fit them as the others with zips I think was a mistake. Been away these last few weeks and the heat loss and draught was big. Got the topper but during the day it was quite warm and as we were moving on each day I couldn't be bothered putting it on. I don't want to cover them with Duck tape because it looks like your covering up a repair plus will the adhesive react with the material ? Paul. :help
I understand what you are saying with the vents, but we find that the topper removes the issue.

Loke you we initially found fitting and removing the topper to be a pain, so we invested in a 2.4M telescopic ladder. The ladder makes the job a breeze. The topper is now up and down in around 5-10 minutes.....easy!!!

For the normal dashboard heating system all the air comes via a pollen filter, the auxiliary heater is sealed from the outside & just draws air from inside the van.
So shouldn’t be any chance of midges coming in via either of those routes.
forgot about that filter

Back