Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade T5 to T6, Manual to DSG

The California 2into1 is looking to buy looks absolutely beautiful and well specs. As for Liverpool van centre they probably sell 20 T6 vans for every California if not more. We use them as they have always been good to us for a long time. It pays to find a good dealer.

Jay and Larrylamb make an interesting point. They always say 'cash is king' in business, and a hefty chuck of business (cash) has just got stuck. I'm sure dealers are getting some relief from VW, but they may be feeling cash flow pressures.

Liverpool's used pricing is very aggressive online, but (in my experience) there is no negotiation (which feels very awkward). Last week I offered them £500 less than their then asking price and they weren't interested. I even tried again under an assumed name and still 'no-deal' . It was month end so I thought I was in a strong position.
So when they dropped the price by £1k last night, I dived in, but still couldn't even get a set of mats!

Jay and Larrylamb make an interesting point. They always say 'cash is king' in business, and a hefty chuck of business (cash) has just got stuck. I'm sure dealers are getting some relief from VW, but they may be feeling cash flow pressures.

Liverpool's used pricing is very aggressive online, but (in my experience) there is no negotiation (which feels very awkward). Last week I offered them £500 less than their then asking price and they weren't interested. I even tried again under an assumed name and still 'no-deal' . It was month end so I thought I was in a strong position.
So when they dropped the price by £1k last night, I dived in, but still couldn't even get a set of mats!

Does seem a good deal still. Hope the viewing goes well for you.

No, they don't negotiate on their stock. I once got a BMW dealer to knock cash off in return for a homemade cake but no joy at Liverpool. But I knew it was a good price, so bought my van.

I noticed as well this evening that they are giving 2 years free servicing.

Probably VW incentives to counter the Monkeygate/Dieselgate effect on sales! :D

I noticed as well this evening that they are giving 2 years free servicing.

Probably VW incentives to counter the Monkeygate/Dieselgate effect on sales! :D
Only if you take the finance deal unfortunately. Although I can afford '2 Cali's' (see earlier post) I fear my credit rating wouldn't get me a Tesco Value sausage.

Last edited:
Just accidentally clicked on the Campersales banner and found myself looking at the Joker City. Did you ever consider one of these as the layout is very similar to your old T4?

Just accidentally clicked on the Campersales banner and found myself looking at the Joker City. Did you ever consider one of these as the layout is very similar to your old T4?
I did try and buy a 2nd hand one that was showing at a very good price on autotrader.....but unfortunately it turned out to be plus VAT!...so not a good price.

In reality, I think they are unbalanced for an 'everyday' vehicle, which is how I use mine now that I have '2 into 1'd'. If they are therefore going to be left on the drive awaiting high days and holidays then you might as well have something bigger (starting with the Joker rather than the Joker City....but up towards Ducato size) waiting.

They also have limited load-through ability too (I couldn't get a grandfather clock in) so of limited use for my business, nor the 3m lengths of coving that carried this week. I would love the Westfalia build quality though and the lack of hydraulic roof etc.

I only really contemplated buying the 'cheap' used one because I wanted to try one and scratch an itch, and thought I'd be able to sell it and get my money back - but the +VAT discovery put play to that plan.

I don't miss a multi function steering wheel. because I've never had one. I figure I can reach the radio fine. is that bamboo green? lovely. I saw a beach in that and it sort of changes colour with the light. very nice. not seen an ocean in it. enjoy.

I did try and buy a 2nd hand one that was showing at a very good price on autotrader.....but unfortunately it turned out to be plus VAT!...so not a good price.

In reality, I think they are unbalanced for an 'everyday' vehicle, which is how I use mine now that I have '2 into 1'd'. If they are therefore going to be left on the drive awaiting high days and holidays then you might as well have something bigger (starting with the Joker rather than the Joker City....but up towards Ducato size) waiting.

They also have limited load-through ability too (I couldn't get a grandfather clock in) so of limited use for my business, nor the 3m lengths of coving that carried this week. I would love the Westfalia build quality though and the lack of hydraulic roof etc.

I only really contemplated buying the 'cheap' used one because I wanted to try one and scratch an itch, and thought I'd be able to sell it and get my money back - but the +VAT discovery put play to that plan.
Thanks Peter, I personally think you are correct in your conclusions, but having a built in loo is an obvious attraction to the other half and the lack of one in the Cali is a source of constant criticism from her!

I guess it’s ok for us men, we only need a uri-bottle! :D

I don't miss a multi function steering wheel. because I've never had one. I figure I can reach the radio fine. is that bamboo green?
It is Bamboo Green yup. If I'd been speccing I probably would have gone safe with Grey, but I'm happy with this colour.
I'll see how I go on without the MFSW. My current Cali doesn't have it but my old £5k Peugeot did and I really liked it.

Great van, enjoy!
I retrofitted MFSW to my T5 as found the volume knob being on the wrong side of the dash annoying enough in the end to get the switches retro fitted. Worth doing.

what? just to reach the volume nob? I can reach mine fine. can't you be arsed to stretch your arm all the way over to the radio? I get how you get used to it but is it worth extra money? and you can change the song on the mfd anyway. I would have manual wind down windows me if it was an option. sod all this tech.

I would have manual wind down windows me if it was an option. sod all this tech.
I would go for that, at least on the driver’s side. The manufacturer’s would charge extra for it though, except on the top spec models.

BTW, one advantage of the MFSW is that you can warm your left hand up on the buttons on that side (at least on my T5.1); has anyone else noticed they get warm?

Great van, enjoy!
I retrofitted MFSW to my T5 as found the volume knob being on the wrong side of the dash annoying enough in the end to get the switches retro fitted. Worth doing.
That’s what the passenger is for! ;)

Wish I had a manual now, why did I get DSG? Feel so foolish not spooning nobs. As for winding up....windows

Last edited:
Wish I had a manual now, why did I get DSG? Feel so foolish not spooning nobs. As for winding up....windows electrically? My goodness. I cannot be arsed.
you like to spoon nobs?

Great van, enjoy!

Sounds a bit like the LHD to RHD conversion process that also leaves the DSG gear selection text out of the drivers view when moving the lever as it's printed on the left hand side of the lever base plate trim!! Little things..

Oh well the snow finally cleared so I went to collect my new (to me) van from Liverpool. I've parked it next to something green so the paint looks blue!
Bamboo Garden Green seems a great choice for prospective owners that don't know what colour they want.
I went for the Kylie bike rack in the end.
2018-03-05 16.53.14.jpg

Oh well the snow finally cleared so I went to collect my new (to me) van from Liverpool. I've parked it next to something green so the paint looks blue!
Bamboo Garden Green seems a great choice for prospective owners that don't know what colour they want.
I went for the Kylie bike rack in the end.
View attachment 30683
Very nice – you've made a good choice. It looks exactly like ours except for the wheels!

Looks great. Blue and green = 2into1 :thumb

Back