Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading the RCD-310 radio. Zenec anybody?

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So here is my first post to this forum and it right up my alley of tech stuff :).

Our T5 ocean is pretty loaded with options but the one thing which is missing is a sat-nav radio unit. And it bugs me just a little :)
Currently the basic RCD-310 unit is fitted which does a ok job as a radio but that's about it.

So i am looking into a upgrade which would also incorporate the backup sensors as the RCD does and for this it seems that only Kenwood is a possible candidate and original VW units such as the RCD-330. And Zenec!
I never heard of that make but is seems to be designed specifically for the T5 series and frankly it looks like a VW product with a Android OS. But on the whole with good specs and a nice price tag of about 550€ (Zenec Z-E2060).

Anybody got such a unit or good advice on what would work.
Or if should just search for a genuine VW head unit on Ebay?

Hold it.
And there is Scandinav (what's is a name) SWE-X75 which looks like the near to exact same hardware as the Zenec, same price tag and specs but a little slicker software (also android probably).

My 4 previous cars all had built in nav systems and I forgot what pain it is to select a after market radio :headbang.
And on top of the usual's there are now the Chinese with theri super cheap Android units o_O.

Read some specs and both the Zenec and the Scandinav are CAN bus connected and confirmed to work with the dashboard, controls, ventilation, parking sensors and such.
BUT for nearly the same price tag you get a full navi system in the Scandinav (i do hope so with that name) while the Zenec has this as an option.

Hold it.
And there is Scandinav (what's is a name) SWE-X75 which looks like the near to exact same hardware as the Zenec, same price tag and specs but a little slicker software (also android probably).
View attachment 44782

My 4 previous cars all had built in nav systems and I forgot what pain it is to select a after market radio :headbang.
And on top of the usual's there are now the Chinese with theri super cheap Android units o_O.
Those radio's look a lot like the Chinese I was looking for.
I went for a Roadnav M042.

IMG_20170729_161409.jpg

I have an Alpine iLX-700 which has the parking sensor display... I think there are a lot of head units which incorporate the CANbus functions such as parking sensor display, climate/heated seats etc.
The iLX-700 is the cheapest at around £350 on ebay, but the newer models (more ££) also work and look better (the 9" Halo looks superb and is about £700) Alpine models available for T6 are here;

I have an Alpine iLX-700 which has the parking sensor display... I think there are a lot of head units which incorporate the CANbus functions such as parking sensor display, climate/heated seats etc.
View attachment 44806
The iLX-700 is the cheapest at around £350 on ebay, but the newer models (more ££) also work and look better (the 9" Halo looks superb and is about £700) Alpine models available for T6 are here;

Thanks for the input.
The Alpines look very slick and I prefer that the unit is a drop-in rather than the Chinese android units which need a lot a attention to get them to work correctly with CAN as I gather.
And I suspect that the Alpine has better audio which is probably more of an afterthought with the androids “laptops”.

Thanks for the input.
The Alpines look very slick and I prefer that the unit is a drop-in rather than the Chinese android units which need a lot a attention to get them to work correctly with CAN as I gather.
And I suspect that the Alpine has better audio which is probably more of an afterthought with the androids “laptops”.
I wanted a radio that looked like the original RNS510, but with Android apps, so I could use navigation with OpenStreetMap maps, which I do a lot of work in.

Looks nice and fit's clean into the dash by the looks of it.
Are you happy with it's performance and does it connect to an IOS device?
This is already an older unit with only 1GB RAM, and 16 GB ROM, so it is very slow, and after a few updates and some work I put in, it works now as I want.
The DVD-drive is already dead, out of warranty, so no DVD's.
All my music plays from SD-card, and FM has no good reception, so, It looks nice, but it is not really worth the money.

I spoke to Alpine at the cc show earlier this year about their head units. They are compatible with most functions but weren't sure about things like text reading, a function I found by accident. They look nice and are easy to use but £700+ bit salty for my taste.

They do look very nice for £700 I would at least expect attention to detail such as a van on the reversing sensors. I think a car would irritate me I don't know why, I'm just a bit sad like that haha.

I wouldn't consider anything other than kenwood or pioneer I've heard too many negative comments on the Chinese units, including a mate of mine who bought one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is really cutting into my quality time o_O.

As I see it there are 3 options:
  1. Original RNS-510 from VW
    Pro:
    Will fit perfectly, feel and look like VW
    Interact correctly with the CAN bus
    Con:
    Limited functions from 10 years ago. No apple or android screen mirror for Waze, ...,
    Crazy expensive

2. RNS-510 clones and other (Chinese) android units
    Pro:
    Dead cheap and lot's of functionality. Screen mirror, app's, ...
    Good value for money
    Some units fit perfectly without bezels and stuff
    Con:
    Sound and feel are probably on the low side
    Warranty?
    Buggy software and a lot of setting up
    CAN bus interface?
    Lot's of hardware to add onto for DAB and other creature comforts.

3. Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC
    Pro:
    Know what they do and they do it good in terms of sound, interface, button's, ...
    Everybody knows them and they are well supported in general
    Con:
    Not much except finding the right one in the sea of choice. Nearly as bad as the chinees clone market.
    Slightly higher price than the android thingy's but not as mad as VW

Probably will go for a Pioneer SPH-DA120 without CD/DVD unit to make it more affordable :cool:
    Has apple car play and android for my girlfriends phone.

I also looked at the android units and I’m a bit handy with tech. In the end I thought they looked too messy and prone to error (which would usually mean when you’re barrelling down the M5 and need it the most!)

The Alpine iLX-700 is still around new and can be had for £340 on the bay of E’s

It’s mechless and so has few components that could fail. I am probably tempting fate but almost 4 years in and mine is still as good as when I bought it. Better still, it updates with pretty much each iOS or app update and I can use 4 different satnavs including openstreetmaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What OS does that Alpine run on?

Can it seamlessly fit in a Multivan dashboard? This means, no screwing :cool:, but just clicking.
I have the same unit as a VW Touareg. The Transporter/Caravelle has the unit that is screwed :rolleyes:.

If you all know what I mean?

I am edging more towards the Skaninav SWE-X75 for that reason that it fits seamlessly into the dash, had apple and android support and the Canbus. On top of that it has a full featured navigation from Sygic with lifetime updates.
It’s just very unknown :)

I am edging more towards the Skaninav SWE-X75 for that reason that it fits seamlessly into the dash, had apple and android support and the Canbus. On top of that it has a full featured navigation from Sygic with lifetime updates.
It’s just very unknown :)
As I said, that unit looks a lot like some Chinese radio's I saw. It might just be a Chinese radio with a different name/branding.
They work well, once they are configured right, and if the hardware is up to date.
Mine works well now, but it lacks speed due to the older hardware.

As I said, that unit looks a lot like some Chinese radio's I saw. It might just be a Chinese radio with a different name/branding.
They work well, once they are configured right, and if the hardware is up to date.
Mine works well now, but it lacks speed due to the older hardware.
True.
But I am a sucker for perfect dash layout and I’ll probably hate the bezel which has to be fitted for a standard double DIN in case of a “normal” Kenwood or Pioneer unit.
I’ll give it some more thought.

I personally think if you want an original unit, the RNS 315 is cheaper than the 510, has a good satnav (but poor data) but again its quite out of date now. Does everything I need but I do crave the latest shinies.

It's ridiculous.
I have spent more time deciding on after-market radio than on the decision of buying a Cali :D .

That does it.
You guys are right about sticking to the known.
I read nothing but pain and stress regarding those android units and their clones. Poor sound, slow booting, intermittent issues with CANbus (if working).
There was a time I would have seen this as a tech challenge but not in my Cali, no Sir. That boat sailed some years ago :).
I'll stick to a good old Pioneer (SPH-DA120) and take the bezel for what it is.
Less i find a RNS-510 unit for a decent price :)

Many thanks for the input everybody.

Hi Jo
I have a RNS315 that came out of my Amarok when I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX516DABS. I intended to put it on eBay but this thread reminded me its still gathering dust in my study. Its not a DAB unit. If you are interested I’ll get some pics to you

Back