Using Toilets in France

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have found this on my computer and am posting it as it may be helpful to others. I wrote it in 2016 but it is still applicable today

Information on Using a French Toilet

The French are very generous in that they often provide a choice of a British sit down type or a French style squat loo.

This Note is guidance on using the squat type.

1) Do not enter the cubicle without shoes. It may look like shower but it is not.

2) You will see a porcelain basin on the floor with steps for your feet and behind them a circular hole. Never put your hand or any part of yourself in this hole. Bring your own paper.

3). To use, stand on the steps and face the door with your back to the rear wall and the hole. Do not attempt to use with your back to the door, the results will be unsatisfactory. Do not slip.

4) Keep the paper in your hand. Do not leave it in your pocket.

5) When squatting, do not fall over into the bowl. For balance some people find that it is helpful to use the wall for support. For hygiene reasons do not put your hands in the bowl.

6) Carry out your business which health experts believe to be easier in this position. Aim for the round hole in the floor.

7) Do not urinate on your feet.

8) Put any used paper into the hole in the floor. Do not let it fall from a height as it may flutter down and adhere to your ankle or heel, particularly difficult, if in sandals. This is not good.

9) On completion step onto the tiled area in front of the door. Never flush while standing or squatting on the loo.

10) Before flushing unlock the door and be fully prepared to leave. Pull the chain and exit smartly. Failure to do so may cause the flush water to cover your feet. This can be unpleasant especially if you are in sandals.

This is based on my experience over many years and I hope that it's helpful.to others

10) Before flushing unlock the door and be fully prepared to leave. Pull the chain and exit smartly. Failure to do so may cause the flush water to cover your feet. This can be unpleasant especially if you are in sandals.
I remember my first encounter as a schoolboy. I made the mistake of hanging around to see how the contraption worked when I pulled the chain. Big mistake!
These are still quite common in more rural areas of Greece.

Visited France for decades, been at least 15 years since I encountered an old style squat toilet over there.
Search and thou shalt find. You need to need to look for the run down bars in the backstreets.

Reminds me of when we're out in the country with no loo or pub in site, as I say to the wife, 'squat, squirt and drip dry'.

Ha, you wanna try working in Jordan for 3 months living in the desert in a Bedouin house with a squat loo and diarrhoea for most of the time......... :eek: :D :D

Visited France for decades, been at least 15 years since I encountered an old style squat toilet over there.
You need to get out more. They are still a thing, albeit a dying breed. I like the new auto cleaning Public Pissoir that are popping up all around France.

It could be worse. The Chinese have public toilets that rival the worst. Just imagine the awkward stares

Chinese Toilets | ToilographyChinese Toilets | Toilography500 × 333

You need to get out more. They are still a thing, albeit a dying breed. I like the new auto cleaning Public Pissoir that are popping up all around France.
You would have to go a long way to beat the railway toilets in Kenya when I was stationed there. The guy without legs wading into them on his hands was a sight to behold.

Ha, you wanna try working in Jordan for 3 months living in the desert in a Bedouin house with a squat loo and diarrhoea for most of the time......... :eek: :D :D
No I don’t!

Step 10)
In my unpleasant experience, before flushing I recommend opening the door and standing outside. Then reach back in to flush before making a swift getaway!

This is becoming a really 5h1t thread!
To some people, me included, some of these offerings have a certain fascination.
As a child, our loo was a "bucket and chuck it" in a row of six, where the bucket was accessed via a round hole cut in a wooden plank seat.

Back