Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and portaloo's

C

colin

picking our Cali up in May and want to get some of the essential accessories before it arrives.

One thing the better half wants is a portable loo, I like the idea of the popaloo as it folds flat when not in use and when used in an emergency the waste matter can just be thrown in the bin ( no chemicals, no water ) |They say it can even be thrown in a public litter bin :eek:

So my question is as an occasional user do i go for a Popaloo or a thetford, at the moment I am swinging towards the popaloo for space saving and lack of water and chemicals. Last thing we want is a big Thetford sitting there on a two week trip and only being used once or twice.

:thanks

B

boubou

I bought a popaloo from the caravan show last year whilst visiting a friend and find it convenient.i didn't want a toilet sloshing about in the van especially under the sink I keep mine in the bench drawer I hope that helps colin

Kirk

Kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have got a Thetford 335 which we store under the sink, i must admit we hardly use and it takes up valuable space. The attraction of something that folds down could work better for us. What is the size of the portaloo folded down? How many times can you use a bag?

Reactions: Djs
A

Anne

VIP Member
We have just bought a Popaloo, but it doesn't specify how often to use the bags

D

daveandbarbara

What is going in the bags? We get a few pee pee in a bag, it depends how quick it goes solid. I am not sure abour poo?

Kirk

Kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are looking for a portable toilet for emergencies/occasional use only so a Thetford Porta Potti is pointless as they take up loads of room and we may never use it.

We are considering the bog in a bag or Popaloo, which is best? Would they fit in the drawer under the bench seat? Are the bags for once only use?

Looby

Looby

An ever-changing view through the arch window
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
If no mobility issues or children to consider, the popaloo bags with a collapsible bucket might be an easier option just beware losing balance :lol:

Curtis

Curtis

VIP Member
LOL sitting on a collapsible bucket sounds like fun. Make sure you get a video of anyone trying to do it. :laugh2

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
If it's not a daft question ...

What do you do with the bags?

Emptying a portaloo is not normally a problem, I've even pulled into a pub car park and asked to use their loo for such a purpose ... bit of a different story pulling into a pub car park, producing half a dozen bags and lobbing them over the bar with a "can you shift these for me? Ta very much".....

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I think the bags are full of gel similar to a baby's disposable nappy I believe you just bin them :thumb

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The Popaloo bag has a gel agent and also a natural sterilising agent. They are tied off and disposed in the general rubbish.

From the website - Once the bag is sealed properly it can be disposed of in any bin or household waste, do not flush. The bag is made of Bio Degradable material.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Expensive though, cost per bag,

Must be difficult to recycle

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The more I read about popaloo the more I like it.

No mucky disposal, tie a bag and bin,

No looking for CDP's etc

no lifting a bog in and out of the van everytime you need the space

They support both Cord and tearfund, two of my favourite charities

Goodness, my scepticism about usability is blown away ......

t

R

robo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
A bucket and plastic bag works quite well.

rob

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi please could anyone advise me which portable toilet to buy. Ideally the correct size to store in a Cali cupboard when travelling.... 355 qube ???
Thanks Paul

hotel california

hotel california

18 'till i die....
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Did you use the " search forums " button on top typing " porta potti" ?
Best to give it a go.
Gives lots of info on pro's and cons ....

The cube do fit under the sink afther modifing the shelf , mounting it a bit higher.
This involve drilling in the sides of the wardrobe , noting major but has to be done carefull !

Last edited:
ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Buy a PopALoo from eBay. Stows in the bench seat drawer and takes about a minute to assemble when needed. Don't buy the official popaloo bags - just buy some bin bags and cat litter and make your own - always best to use in an outdoor pop up tent though in case of whiff.

We are 2 blokes and so also have a handy sports bottle for middle of the night trips when you don't want to wake your neighbours opening the door - or it's just too cold to venture out!