Vehicle theft prevention

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It is accessible enough to move the vehicle prior to towing or loading on a trailer.
Once again, these are professionals.
Information came from Police and insurance company.
As stated before by others, if they want it badly enough they can only be delayed by majority of mechanical devices.
Good insurance and reliable tracking plus the Lockdown facility must be the best option.
Surely?
Different people have different priorities, and I think that is healthy.

I rank deterrent above tracking. A bollard on the driveway, either at home or where you regularly park at work, is another excellent deterrent.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
How many owners put the same effort into securing their California as they do into securing their other vehicles?
Very few probably. Mines a daily driver, it doesn't spend weeks, if not months, parked on the drive.
How many California are stolen away from home?
How many are recovered?
As mine is a daily driver I'm not going to spend time removing wheel locks, steering locks or punching in codes everytime I want to go somewhere.
Hence good Insurance.

Wild Bob

Wild Bob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone got experience of the Outsmart The Thief Lockdown system?
Having had our van stolen last year we are looking for the best possible protection for any new vehicle.
Autowatch Ghost seems good but the extra protection given with the Lockdown facility appears a worthwhile addition.
Any comments would be great.
With the Ghost system the car can never be started which sounds a very good option to me.

Phillip T

Phillip T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
With the Ghost system the car can never be started which sounds a very good option to me.
Thought about a Ghost system then read on another forum talking about VW Golf R and similar cars, the thieves would just break into the house and threaten the owners for the code.
Maybe different type of thieves steal California’s. Trackers seem preferred by insurers.

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is everyone sure you can’t swivel the drivers seat with door shut? I’m certain I’ve done it before. I might have to go try again now...

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is everyone sure you can’t swivel the drivers seat with door shut? I’m certain I’ve done it before. I might have to go try again now...
just tried and not too hard to swivel with door shut. Re-reading the threads I might have misread the comments about deadlocked door and swivelled seat included some kind of lock as well to prevent returning the seat to forward facing which makes sense now.

Last edited:
hotel california

hotel california

18 'till i die....
Staff member
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
just tried and not too hard to swivel with door shut. Re-reading the threads I might have kissed the comments about deadlocked door and swivelled seat included some kind of lock as well to prevent returning the seat to forward facing which makes sense now.
In case you just now did swivel you seat ....
You just scratched your doorcard...;)
Or they changed things on the 6 , on a 5 it's permanent damage.

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In case you just now did swivel you seat ....
You just scratched your doorcard...;)
Or they changed things on the 6 , on a 5 it's permanent damage.
things might have changed on the T6. :eek: Let me take a video and work out how to share.

Video here

Last edited:
Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
things might have changed on the T6. :eek: Let me take a video and work out how to share.

Video here
Wow! I can’t do that on my 2017 Beach. I know it’s possible on Transporters with swivel seats but thought it impossible on all California’s. I wonder what the difference between our vans is. I expect it is the door card rather than the seat. Do you have an enormous pocket at the bottom of the drivers door that would take 2 litre drinks bottles?

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yep I have that pocket. However I don’t have the full comfort dash. Perhaps something on there is different. I’ll have to compare doors with my mum’s coast next time we meet up. Sorry for the thread hijack everyone. :oops:

gvick

gvick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I have the Ghost and cat 1 tracker after @Loz recomendation.
Easily fitted in an afternoon
good customer service
Certificate for your insurance which Comfort gave me a discount for having both
Reasonable for the money.
If they really want they will put on a low loader so as @WelshGas says I’ve also got good insurance. Might well turn the seat anddeadlock as @Amarillo says doing in conjunction with Ghost/tracker is about as much as you can do .

Rogerstone

Rogerstone

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The Outsmart the Thief Lockdown system has immobiliser,tracker and the Lockdown facility.
Surely the ultimate system in conjunction with good insurance.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yep I have that pocket. However I don’t have the full comfort dash. Perhaps something on there is different. I’ll have to compare doors with my mum’s coast next time we meet up. Sorry for the thread hijack everyone. :oops:
So sorry! I have just checked again, and the driver's seat can be swivelled with the door closed, exactly as shown in your video.

Rogerstone

Rogerstone

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Better a complex theft deterrent than a stolen Cali.
I speak from experience.
Unfortunately!