Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

Seem to have posted 2 photos.... this rack seems to get a lot of bad press on here due to the looks..... I needed one for practical reasons so bought one... great piece of kit.... the only time it doesn't have a bike on it is when I'm at work.... like now :(

Seem to have posted 2 photos.... this rack seems to get a lot of bad press on here due to the looks..... I needed one for practical reasons so bought one... great piece of kit.... the only time it doesn't have a bike on it is when I'm at work.... like now :(
I think it looks great!

If at all possible, would you be willing to measure how far it sticks out from the van when it is down (in use)? We have a caravan as well and I'm not sure if the length of the A frame at the front of the caravan is enough to allow for the bike rack to be down while towing, without hitting the caravan. Thanks so much!

I think it looks great!

I think we might need to agree to disagree on this, when you see that next to a T5 rack it looks way to bulky and does not fit the contour of the tailgate. Why they did not keep the same design as the T5 one is crazy.

I think it is fine if you are going to take it off when not carrying bikes but I would not want to leave it on all the time hence why I have now gone for a tow bar rack.

Sorry I am the one that started this debate :Nailbiting

As above, it looks fine in the down position with bikes on it, I just think it looks ugly when in the upright position, I am not sure what it is but it just does not look right to me.

I think we might need to agree to disagree on this, when you see that next to a T5 rack it looks way to bulky and does not fit the contour of the tailgate. Why they did not keep the same design as the T5 one is crazy.

I think it is fine if you are going to take it off when not carrying bikes but I would not want to leave it on all the time hence why I have now gone for a tow bar rack.
No worries.

There must be tens of thousands of T5 racks in use without issue and I would imagine people are happy with them, though I still find the idea of that extra strain on the rear door a little uncomfortable.

Whether bulkier or not, that's why I believe the new one has a better design in terms of how it distributes weight onto the door itself. That horizontal bar at the bottom is a big design progression for me. VW must have thought so too or else they would have stuck with the old one - there's no gain in designing another one at an extra cost, otherwise: They can't sell them to current T5 customers.

Either way, I will likely buy one but it won't be a permanent accessory for me - makes the whole 'rig' a bit too long. Perfect for when I need it.

It does appear to stick out a long way when folded compared to the T5 rack. Perhaps it's to lessen the chance of damage to the wiper, or even the tailgate or window. You have to be careful with the T5 rack

Last edited:
If at all possible, would you be willing to measure how far it sticks out from the van when it is down (in use)? We have a caravan as well and I'm not sure if the length of the A frame at the front of the caravan is enough to allow for the bike rack to be down while towing, without hitting the caravan. Thanks so much!

Will do later.. no problem

sounds like marmite? maybe we need a poll to see which one we all prefer :Grin

20160125_195342.jpg

Personal view ...think the new rack looks fine, and the main thing seems to do what it's supposed to...carry bikes...

With the tape on the centre of the Tailgate above the VW badge 32.5" or 82.5cm.... if I can help more just ask...
Paul
Thanks so much for doing that. I'll measure up what that would like tomorrow.

Hello greenp, thanks for the pics. That's a good looking van you have there, looks like it's being put to good use too :thumb
I personally don't mind the look of the bike rack, I actually think my roof bars look uglier! Could you please tell me if the parking sensors and camera are working OK with it on (with and without a bike on). I will be buying one of these at some point and I have been known to back into things (bollards, car park signs etc.) when I had my T5 LWB, hence this one having the sensors and camera. Thanks

Hello greenp, thanks for the pics. That's a good looking van you have there, looks like it's being put to good use too :thumb
I personally don't mind the look of the bike rack, I actually think my roof bars look uglier! Could you please tell me if the parking sensors and camera are working OK with it on (with and without a bike on). I will be buying one of these at some point and I have been known to back into things (bollards, car park signs etc.) when I had my T5 LWB, hence this one having the sensors and camera. Thanks
Hi Yorkdubshire. ... Yes Camera works and view is NOT obstructed with bikes on or off... Parking sensors work... however I think they are only sensing the proximity of an obstacle to the Van NOT the bike rack ? So I guess with bikes on the rack you could still reverse into something... High of the ground tho...... LOL I haven't tried it tho.... Best Paul

Hi Yorkdubshire. ... Yes Camera works and view is NOT obstructed with bikes on or off... Parking sensors work... however I think they are only sensing the proximity of an obstacle to the Van NOT the bike rack ? So I guess with bikes on the rack you could still reverse into something... High of the ground tho...... LOL I haven't tried it tho.... Best Paul
Thanks for that greenp, much appreciated. Should be ok then but might be worth getting the missus a few paddles and a hi viz jacket so she can guide me in (like they do with planes) just in case ;)

Hows everyone getting on with the T6 cycle carrier? Any issues?

Just about to buy one from Banwy, any other companies who sell the VW ones? Thanks

Hows everyone getting on with the T6 cycle carrier? Any issues?

Just about to buy one from Banwy, any other companies who sell the VW ones? Thanks
I've had mine since November. ... great piece of kit, strong, quick and easy to use... I'm a very keen cyclist (10000Miles a year) so it's used alot. A lot of critics on here, from what I can see the criticism is based on looks rather than practical use.... I can't fault it !!!!

Dean... one point anyone under 5ft tall would have issues securing the top fixing on the bike... enjoy Paul

I needed mine as soon as I picked the Ocean up so took the VW route...... bought and fitted minus 10%
So what was the price then with the discount?
I'll be looking to get one soon but wanted to know what prices have been achieved before i get my bargaining hat on!

Back