Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

So what was the price then with the discount?
I'll be looking to get one soon but wanted to know what prices have been achieved before i get my bargaining hat on!
SMG Cowfold or the new Forum Sponsor Liverpool Vans are offering, I believe 10% discount to VIP members on accessories.

Great advice everyone, thanks. Ive just had the T6 rack delivered. Got a towbar fitted on van and got a rack already but followed thread and agree with greenp , if you cycle a lot seems daft not to have a rack on permanently. Plus I think it looks great, doesn't really matter what model of van you have. Could someone with a T6 please help me with the actual fitting of bikes. There are four arms, two with clamps on both ends and two with clamp only on one end. What order do you attach them to bikes and why are they different. Thanks in advance, photos of bikes on a rack would be great.

Put the first bike on closest to the van and use the shortest arm .... and from then on it should be fairly clear

Check out the Thule options but you do need a tow bar for this, either removable or permanent - I went for the Removable option to future proof the vehicle and increase its flexibility - at least with the Thule it takes about ten minutes to fix and you can see out the back and not have to lift bike above your shoulders if that is a problem for you

I have no shares!

Its down to choice at the end of the day and fit for purpose

Good luck all!!
Hi Julian et al.
Have you tested this rack? I recently bought 926, 3 rack tow bar mounted rack (2016 model) and I cannot open the tailgate door. It seems like the main frame os 2-3mm too high but even if it wasn't I couldn't open the door anyway. I'm dissapionted, picture attached.
image.jpeg

Sorry, I meant the actual towbar on the van which the rack attaches to. Is it the fixed VW one?

image.jpeg
Sorry, I meant the actual towbar on the van which the rack attaches to. Is it the fixed VW one?
Sorry, I misunderstood, it's detachable Westfalia I think, it was there on the car when I bought it secondhand. I tought about putting longer arm or anything like that, not sure if that's possible tough.

Which towbar do you have?
Ironically I went for the standards VW Bike Rack option due to storage and labour issues and glad I did despite the general opinions on its style aspects which I have now pretty well ignored. I am pleased with my decision and the VW Rack is well made and strong and does look part of the vehicle

2016-03-27 13.56.33.jpg

Ironically I went for the standards VW Bike Rack option due to storage and labour issues and glad I did despite the general opinions on its style aspects which I have now pretty well ignored. I am pleased with my decision and the VW Rack is well made and strong and does look part of the vehicle

View attachment 13427
Ah, there you go. Thanks for getting back to me. I prefer it to be easily detachable and keep it in the boot/home, I think I will keep it and try to find a solution if there is one.

Apparently, the germans complain about the VW rack because it starts to fall off over 170mk/h :)

Jerzy: I think the Atera Strada is abetter option than the Thule for the California.

View attachment 13426
Sorry, I misunderstood, it's detachable Westfalia I think, it was there on the car when I bought it secondhand. I tought about putting longer arm or anything like that, not sure if that's possible tough.

There do seem to be quite a few different designs of towbar - some of which stick out a lot more or are lower down - and obviously this makes a difference to tailgate clearance.

Hi Julian et al.
Have you tested this rack? I recently bought 926, 3 rack tow bar mounted rack (2016 model) and I cannot open the tailgate door. It seems like the main frame os 2-3mm too high but even if it wasn't I couldn't open the door anyway. I'm dissapionted, picture attached.
View attachment 13425

My understanding of the Thule Bike Rack range is that the Euroclassic G6 928 is the only model designed to clear large tailgates, such as the Transporter tailgate.

Alan

My understanding of the Thule Bike Rack range is that the Euroclassic G6 928 is the only model designed to clear large tailgates, such as the Transporter tailgate.

Alan
Thank you all for support, great tips, much appreciated.

Even though I currently own the Thule 929 with the extra 4th bike adapter I conside selling it and getting an Atera Strada Evolution instead. When moved away its easier to get in to the back and the bikes are attached better at the whels:

A toss up for me between the Atera Strada DL3 and the Atera Strada Evo 3.
Firstly I presume from the website that you get the same clearance on the Evo as the DL3. Most of the time I shall have 2 bikes but sometimes 3 so when I have 2 will use the rear 2 slots. Going to be for two city bikes most of the time but on occasions my carbon road bike so presume weight is not a problem. Time I made a decision, slightly more room on the Evo is attractive but added weight of 5.4kg. Decisions decisions

Fairly simple one is number plates. Would I be right in saying it is a standard plate size in which case I will get my dealer to get me 2 rear when he orders?

Mike

On the evo and the Thule the arms to attach to the frame are removable which I use all the time when transporting more than one bike.

A toss up for me between the Atera Strada DL3 and the Atera Strada Evo 3.
Firstly I presume from the website that you get the same clearance on the Evo as the DL3. Most of the time I shall have 2 bikes but sometimes 3 so when I have 2 will use the rear 2 slots. Going to be for two city bikes most of the time but on occasions my carbon road bike so presume weight is not a problem. Time I made a decision, slightly more room on the Evo is attractive but added weight of 5.4kg. Decisions decisions

Fairly simple one is number plates. Would I be right in saying it is a standard plate size in which case I will get my dealer to get me 2 rear when he orders?

Mike
Sorry to bump my own post but can anyone with an Atera Strada 3 answer the number plate question.

Back