Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

I have no exact idea but I guess the eu has the same size? I just ordered a new for my Thule and it fits perfectly.

A toss up for me between the Atera Strada DL3 and the Atera Strada Evo 3.
Firstly I presume from the website that you get the same clearance on the Evo as the DL3. Most of the time I shall have 2 bikes but sometimes 3 so when I have 2 will use the rear 2 slots. Going to be for two city bikes most of the time but on occasions my carbon road bike so presume weight is not a problem. Time I made a decision, slightly more room on the Evo is attractive but added weight of 5.4kg. Decisions decisions

Fairly simple one is number plates. Would I be right in saying it is a standard plate size in which case I will get my dealer to get me 2 rear when he orders?

Mike
Yes, it is the standard size. I got my Dealer to make up an extra rear plate.:thumb

What type of rack is that on the picture? Looks really good, access to the back, but also the bikes aren't super high.
Hey Brent, looks to me like Atera Della Strada.
http://www.atera.de/en/atera-strada-dl.html
I got it myself as well and it works great, no problem to open the tailgate. When not used folds nicely and fits the space under the bed. The only problem is reversing as the sensors go crazy and make a lot of noise :/ I am now considering changing for the original but that means I might not fit the "up to 2m height" carparks. It's not easy!

thanks for the fast reply. I was just this second checking that one out. I recently bought a T6 which should have a function that stops the sensors from beeping when something is connected to the towbar so that shouldn't be a problem. I do however want to get in the 2m (and 5cm) carparks. So thanks!

thanks for the fast reply. I was just this second checking that one out. I recently bought a T6 which should have a function that stops the sensors from beeping when something is connected to the towbar so that shouldn't be a problem. I do however want to get in the 2m (and 5cm) carparks. So thanks!
You're very welcome. I was just wondering myself - there has to be a switch for the rear sensors. Perhaps, I need to retrofit it (if such thing is possible) as it's very annoying to hear beeping all the time.
Someone earlier mentioned Thule 928/929 - worth checking this one out as well, ideally go to the shop and compare. My feeling is that Thule has a better quality, but that's just my own opinion!

Hey Brent, looks to me like Atera Della Strada.
http://www.atera.de/en/atera-strada-dl.html
I got it myself as well and it works great, no problem to open the tailgate. When not used folds nicely and fits the space under the bed. The only problem is reversing as the sensors go crazy and make a lot of noise :/ I am now considering changing for the original but that means I might not fit the "up to 2m height" carparks. It's not easy!
I am away at the moment, with rack on the rear door. It is a pain not being able to get in 2m car parks, as they are the best ones, on the rivers edge etc....but great to be able to use sensors, ....just need to remember that you need to stop at the middle orange line, not the red one!.....I am not going to change though

What type of rack is that on the picture? Looks really good, access to the back, but also the bikes aren't super high.

Hi
Yes it's the Atera Strada dl3 rack.
I can't recommend it enough. Superb build quality, probably the best I've come across. The rear parking sensors disable when connected, but you get a sign on the dash with a trailer to remind you the rack is there when you select reverse.

I used to own the Volkswagen tailgate rack, but got rid of it. As it limits access into the rear of the vehicle, because you can't lift the rack with the bikes attached. It is possible to lift, but you need to be very strong, plus it will leave dents where the rack attaches to the top of the tailgate. Trust me, been there got the T-shirt.

Another plus point is, you can remove the rack from the van within about 10-15 seconds.

Without doubt hands down, one of the best things we have bought for the van

Last edited:
I don't even have the camera :)

I am actually thinking about changing for the original (or something similar) more and more these days - next year we're moving to Vancouver, Canada and planning to ship Cali to Newfoundland (or wherever it's cheaper in CAN/USA). Then drive though the whole continent for about 6 months. I will have a roof box on top so no more 2m car parks anyway. Sensors will be the priority.
Hi
Yes it's the Atera Strada dl3 rack.
I can't recommend it enough. Superb build quality, probably the best I've come across. The rear parking sensors disable when connected, but you get a sign on the dash with a trailer to remind you the rack is there when you select reverse.

I used to own the Volkswagen tailgate rack, but got rid of it. As it limited access into the rear of the vehicle, because you can't lift the rack with the bikes attached. It is possible to lift, but you need to be very strong, plus it will leave dents where the rack attaches to the top of the tailgate. Trust me, been there got the T-shirt.

Another plus point is, you can remove the rack from the van within about 10-15 seconds.

Without doubt hands down, one of the best things we have bought for the van

I fully agree, it is very handy and easy to use rack. For some reason my sensors do not disable when I connect the cable next to tow bar. Does anyone know this can be changed? (2006, 2.5, 174, SE)

I don't even have the camera :)

I am actually thinking about changing for the original (or something similar) more and more these days - next year we're moving to Vancouver, Canada and planning to ship Cali to Newfoundland (or wherever it's cheaper in CAN/USA). Then drive though the whole continent for about 6 months. I will have a roof box on top so no more 2m car parks anyway. Sensors will be the priority.

I fully agree, it is very handy and easy to use rack. For some reason my sensors do not disable when I connect the cable next to tow bar. Does anyone know this can be changed? (2006, 2.5, 174, SE)

I would imagine there is a setting in VAG for this.

The problem we had with the rack is accessing the boot. These vans are very small when camping weeks at a time and every bit of space is utilised. The boot tends to store our clothes bags and extra camping bits. Couldn't do without easy access to it

Last edited:
Hi
I'm hopefully getting a T6 Ocean soon, with the new style VW bike rack fitted. If the bikes are fitted normally the van will be over 2m. As I go to France a lot I'd like to try and avoid going over 2m. Has anyone tried using the rack, with the rear wheel of the bike fixed normally, but the front wheel removed and the forks attached to the rack? You would obviously need to buy a fork clamp for this and fix it to the rack somehow and also of course store the front wheel somewhere.

Trying to work it out from just looking at photos it seems it might just be then no higher than the van roof. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has tried this and if it works. If so would love to see some photos and also know what fork adapter might fit.

Thanks, Steve

Hi
I'm hopefully getting a T6 Ocean soon, with the new style VW bike rack fitted. If the bikes are fitted normally the van will be over 2m. As I go to France a lot I'd like to try and avoid going over 2m. Has anyone tried using the rack, with the rear wheel of the bike fixed normally, but the front wheel removed and the forks attached to the rack? You would obviously need to buy a fork clamp for this and fix it to the rack somehow and also of course store the front wheel somewhere.

Trying to work it out from just looking at photos it seems it might just be then no higher than the van roof. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has tried this and if it works. If so would love to see some photos and also know what fork adapter might fit.

Thanks, Steve
Steve I've just tried this with my Canyon CX 56" frame... front wheel off but seat post still in seat tube.... Seat is still higher than Van .. But if you remove seat.. bingo lower than 2m... as you say you will need to design a clamp for front fork to sit in..
Paul

Thanks for your replies, Paul and Sam. Sam - I know these are available and have one myself, which is on my car's ladder rack. I'm guessing that the groove on the T6 bike rack might be wider and I was wondering if which off the shelf solution would have bolts wide enough apart to fit. As I said I don't have my van yet, but am just surprised that i have not been able to see any mention of someone trying this before. It seems, on the face of it, to be quite a neat solution to keep the height below 2m, so I was hoping I might get some advice on parts/photos/ or just confirmation that it's an idea worth pursuing and that I havent missed something obvious.
Cheers Steve

Thanks for your replies, Paul and Sam. Sam - I know these are available and have one myself, which is on my car's ladder rack. I'm guessing that the groove on the T6 bike rack might be wider and I was wondering if which off the shelf solution would have bolts wide enough apart to fit. As I said I don't have my van yet, but am just surprised that i have not been able to see any mention of someone trying this before. It seems, on the face of it, to be quite a neat solution to keep the height below 2m, so I was hoping I might get some advice on parts/photos/ or just confirmation that it's an idea worth pursuing and that I havent missed something obvious.
Cheers Steve
Hi Stephen - i have just come back from 2500 trip around italy with 4 x mountain bikes on the rack. With the bikes protruding above the roof line it affects fuel consumption markedly - the faster you go the greater effect, but i would estimate the bikes reduce fuel efficiency by around 15%. So there is an added reason to tuck the bikes into the slip stream. Having said that, it is a fiddle to make 4 x bikes fit onto the rack and you need a bit of the wiggle room provided by the flexible wheel straps. I am sure there is a solution and i will be looking to reduce drag on the next long trip.

Hi Stephen - i have just come back from 2500 trip around italy with 4 x mountain bikes on the rack. With the bikes protruding above the roof line it affects fuel consumption markedly - the faster you go the greater effect, but i would estimate the bikes reduce fuel efficiency by around 15%. So there is an added reason to tuck the bikes into the slip stream. Having said that, it is a fiddle to make 4 x bikes fit onto the rack and you need a bit of the wiggle room provided by the flexible wheel straps. I am sure there is a solution and i will be looking to reduce drag on the next long trip.

Hi
Thanks - interesting about the fuel consumption and another reason to look into it. You would need to put your 4 front wheels somewhere though. I'll only carry 2 bikes and am hoping to come up with a solution to put them on the rack as well - possibly using something like photo. One think I was wondering: as the bike frames will be tilted will the arms on the frame still twist into the correct position to clamp the frame?

I'm still amazed that no one has come up with a tried and tested way of doing this, with pointers to what extra kit to get. I'm new to Forums and I find it quite confusing to sift through all the threads, so maybe I'm just not finding the information.
prod_31270.jpg

Hi
I'm still amazed that no one has come up with a tried and tested way of doing this, with pointers to what extra kit to get. I'm new to Forums and I find it quite confusing to sift through all the threads, so maybe I'm just not finding the information.
View attachment 15868

It's quite sad but I think I've read every single bike-rack related post on this forum!! And I've never seen anything like this so I don't think you're missing any existing information.

I think most people have just gone for a tow-bar rack if the height issue affects them

I have just returned from France carrying 2 road bikes and 2 kids bikes on the new T6 rack and have some feedback;

1. The adult saddles protruded above the roofline and hit fuel consumption quite heavily. Next long journey, I will remove the saddle / seat posts to if this makes any difference - the van was also fully laden.

2. Even with saddles above the roof line I had no issues going through 2m limited toll booths. Had no problems with car parks either, lowest was 2.1m limit and was not a problem (bloke behind me gave thumbs up as I gingerly went under the barrier).

3. The rack is very versatile for all bikes as the arms adjust and the clamps twist to make any bike workable. With 4 bikes it does take some trial and error but I have had men's, women's (sloping top tube) and 2 kids bikes and got it to work very well.

4. I have no issues clamping carbon frame with this rack. I use some lagging at the clamp point for protection and so I can do quite a "loose" clamp without compromising stability and security, whilst not in any danger of crushing the frame.

5. This is the most solid, stable and confidence inducing rack I have ever had. I was able to forget about the bikes on the back, rather than constantly looking in rear view mirror at straps flapping about or through the sunroof at wobbling wheels etc. Security-wise, somebody would have to be very determined to take the bikes off the rack.

6. I was able to open the boot fully loaded with bikes for gas bottle inspection at Eurotunnel.

7. I don't think it is ugly

In summary it does everything it is designed to do very, very well but I do think it will be difficult to fit fork clamps to it without drilling holes etc. I was going to look at getting an internal fork clamp to fit to the rail for transporting my best carbon but I am not going to bother now that I have used the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was impossible to open with bikes on?
The problem with a for mount is the many different wheel axle standards, Trek have yet a new standard this year.

So the bike didnt touch the roof? Was it race bikes with narrow handlebars or MTB's with stright handlebars?
I am considering getting a Cali bike rack and use my Thule for a large alubox for next summers longer trips.

The innermost bike was flat bar and didn't come anywhere near the roof. With the T6 rack, I cannot see it is possible for handlebars to touch the roof.

I only opened the boot for the gas bottle inspection and I had to hold the boot up, no way the struts would have held the weight. So I wouldn't make a habit of it but for exceptions, it is do-able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was impossible to open with bikes on?
The problem with a for mount is the many different wheel axle standards, Trek have yet a new standard this year.

It's is possible and not a problem...saw an Italian guy recently in a Cali who had a small 'prop' to keep boot open slightly whilst he took some stuff out with bikes on the rack....as we only carry two bikes sometimes just as easy to take bikes off as it doesn't take long..hence reason why we keep it simple and don't remove seats, wheels etc....could see that with more than two bikes this might not be so straightforward....to take two bikes off and remount now takes me a couple of minutes...when your in your Cali time is irrelevant isn't it ? ;)

As above with other comments, the rack is the best (we have the T5 version) we have ever had. 2m restriction in France really wasn't a problem ( we just used normal channel) but yes any rack will hit fuel consumption....

Ps with my road bike really easy to lift...in France we had our two 'hybrids' with wider, straight handlebars and there was no problem with clearance...

Back