Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T4 Coach Sunroof

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 96 california coach Pop top. The front of the pop top is fitted with a sunroof which I have been told by the previous owner is inoperable. Does anyone know if these were a standard fit if it's an aftermarket job as I need to try and sort some kind of repair?

Thanks in advance
Chris

looks nice, shame it doesn't open...
Does it have a blind to cover it when sleeping up there?

Looks like a good quality one.
It could be a Webasto.

more pics? (different angles, in/out)... Interested to see how it is... :thumb

Hi, no blind so something I need to sort. Can't see an obvious make so need to pin it down as the previous owner has taped it down so it doesn't leak. Couple of pics attached.

Anyone any idea what the metal bars on the roof are for?

Thanks

Cheers

20180827_150254.jpg

20180827_152501.jpg

Hi, no blind so something I need to sort. Can't see an obvious make so need to pin it down as the previous owner has taped it down so it doesn't leak. Couple of pics attached.

Anyone any idea what the metal bars on the roof are for?

Thanks

Cheers

View attachment 37158

View attachment 37159
The metal bars are for a Sherpas Combi Translift roof bar system. Can you show a photo of the inside where the bars are bolted to the roof?
$_72.JPG

Hi, cheers for the info. They are just bolted down from the inside. I'll try and get a pic for you.

I have the same sunroof in my pop-top (but working) - never seen it on another California before though.

It really needs a blind/screen making for it though

Interesting, I've been I touch with a sunroof company and there are apparently two different seals - up to production number 829779and after 829780.

It would be great if you could find a number so I know where to look. I'm reluctsnt to pull the tape off unless I can seal it again as it's been very wet recently.

Cheers

Interesting, I've been I touch with a sunroof company and there are apparently two different seals - up to production number 829779and after 829780.

It would be great if you could find a number so I know where to look. I'm reluctsnt to pull the tape off unless I can seal it again as it's been very wet recently.

Cheers
I'll have a look this evening and see what I can find out

Ok - had a look and found some part numbers.

If you untape the sunroof and wind it back about an inch, the details are visable from above, looking down onto the seal.

IMG_5053.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5049.jpg

Spot on that's great thanks. Now to see if it opens!

I've taken a pic of the roof bar mounting. To be honest I think I'm going to take them off as I can see one of the kids catching their heads on them..

20180905_190000.jpg

Good luck - if you order a deal let me know, I might be tempted to get a spare for mine.

If you are removing the roof bars - I’d be interested in buying them from you?

Thanks

They are special order so up to production number 829779 (£60.90 plus vat sealer and post) and after production number 829780 (£49.45 plus sealer post and vat) from a place on the net (as per their quote).

I'll let you know on the bars when I get them removed - no idea what they are worth mind!

They are special order so up to production number 829779 (£60.90 plus vat sealer and post) and after production number 829780 (£49.45 plus sealer post and vat) from a place on the net (as per their quote).

Those numbers don't really match with my 5 digit production number I found - 54883 :confused:

Yours does say Webasto so unless ours are a non standard fit possibly? I'll get back to the guy and see what he says.

Seems odd that they are both the same model roof from similar age vans to be a retrofit though

IMG_5048.jpg

Spot on that's great thanks. Now to see if it opens!

I've taken a pic of the roof bar mounting. To be honest I think I'm going to take them off as I can see one of the kids catching their heads on them..

View attachment 37495
Just wondering if you ever took those bars off? If you did I’d be interested in buying them for a project I’m working on.
Regards Padraic

Hi, I'm just going to leave them in place for now as it's probably not the best time of year to be having holes in the roof to sort out. My worry was the kids catching their heads so I have just used some plastic bolt covers.

I'll let you know if/when I get them removed.

Cheers Chris

Hi, I'm just going to leave them in place for now as it's probably not the best time of year to be having holes in the roof to sort out. My worry was the kids catching their heads so I have just used some plastic bolt covers.

I'll let you know if/when I get them removed.

Cheers Chris
Cheers mate.

I'm going to chime right in here in hopes someone is still paying attention to this thread. I have a '94 T-4 Westfalia California Syncro with a similar sunroof. This one is marked Webasto Top Slider 2. Is this the same model? If so where could I find the proper sealing gasket? Mine has been sealed tight with silicon since I bought it.
Thanks,
Max

Apologies Max, only just spotted your post. Mine was similar and was silicone sealed and then taped up. I have now removed all the tape and silicone and roof operates well. However, the seal is knackered so have taped it back up for the time being. I have requests in with both Webasto UK and a company called Bristol sunroofs to try and find a seal. As you can imagine a lot of people are not around but will get back to you when I get a response. I've attached a pic of my model numbers (different to the earlier poster) and the state of mine when I had partially removed some of the tape..

20200407_172308.jpg

20200407_162745.jpg

Back