Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Does anyone know how old your van has to be to qualify for this warranty work? I have a friend who has a pre-facelift california (2009/2010 I think). I don't know if hers has this issue, but I think this affects pre-facelift ones as well doesn't it?

Cheers
Dave

Hi my 2012 grey DSG180 had a roof paint repair last year under warranty (at SMG)but not with the new method. Will it need doing again and will the warranty still cover the roof situation in say a couple of years time? There's no sign of any emerging problem with the paint at the moment and it's more than 6 months I think since the job was done?

Dave_T said:
Does anyone know how old your van has to be to qualify for this warranty work? I have a friend who has a pre-facelift california (2009/2010 I think). I don't know if hers has this issue, but I think this affects pre-facelift ones as well doesn't it?

Cheers
Dave

Howdy,
Ian germany even 2009 calis will be repaired under " warranty"

This repair is only for vehicles that are affected. If your vehicle does not have any paint fault then at present it does not need the repair.

I would suggest that your friend takes his vehicle to a dealer to get a claim submitted.

thanks

Dave_T said:

Cheers
Dave

This issue affects all T5 Calis & should be covered by the 12 year paint warranty.

As Alex says he should take it to a van centre to get a claim submitted

Please see the letter below from the Director of VW Commercial Vehicles.

As you will see from his letter, every Cali comes with 12 years warranty against through corrosion and three years paintwork warranty protection for any paintwork defects.

Dear Mr Spencer,

Following my letter, dated 30 July 2013, regarding the matter of Volkswagen California roof corrosion, I would like to update you on the progress we have made with the concern.
Having identified a repair process in August, we have subsequently completed all factory¬ mandated training.

Four Volkswagen Group approved Paint and Body Shops have been appointed and are undertaking the training needed to complete repairs to any affected vehicles. Training will be completed in early 2014.

Once this training is complete we will arrange for California repairs to commence.

As per my previous correspondence I would like to reassure California customers that each vehicle comes with a 12-year' warranty against through-corrosion (corrosion emanating from inside a body panel) and a three year warranty for any paintwork defects.

Customers who believe their vehicles may be affected should contact their local Van Centre to have their California inspected. Each case will be reviewed on an individual basis by one of our authorised repairers.
I would like to thank you for bringing the issue to my attention. Outstanding customer service is of paramount importance to us and I wish California owners many more years of happy motoring.

We have subsequently requested an update from Customer Services on the current situation with regard to the repair procedure, and loan vehicle parameters.

SusiBus

Thanks for the update SusiBus.

I received a letter from VW the other day informing me that 4 body shops will be receiving training in February for this fix. They are Heritage (Westbury), AB Crush Panelcraft, Shorade and Benfield. They will then contact me to arrange the repairs.

The Cali will be collected by transporter and will be away for 2 weeks. They will also be lending me a Cali whilst mine is in. :bananadance

Same procedure as here in germany, mostly the rooftent will be changed also, some of our users are lucky and getting a 3 window tent instead of the 2 window. :D
Roof will be painted and some other stuff as sealings will be renewed.

RidetheBulli said:
Same procedure as here in germany, mostly the rooftent will be changed also, some of our users are lucky and getting a 3 window tent instead of the 2 window. :D

Rooftent changed? :eek:
Anybody any idea whether that's happening in the UK too?

barry said:
RidetheBulli said:

Yes because it can happen that rooftent will be damaged them you get a new one but it is just by luck when you get a 3 window instead a 2 window tent, here you cannot "upgrade" when you are willing to pay for it.
Some guys buy a 3 window on own cost and set the 2 window on ebay.

Just registered my van for this work with vw customer services. I heard the same story as had previously been described here.

barry said:
RidetheBulli said:

Honestly do not know. Am sure that when body shops start calling to book in they will be able to answer all questions that people have concerning the repair.

cheers

VW Customer Services said to me that:

2 week job
4 body centres being trained to do the work
each body centre can take 2 vans at a time

That suggests to me that VW will have (once staff are trained), the capacity to do about 200 vans a year in the UK

Methinks that it will be a long time before this is sorted

I do hope that VW can learn from this and the similar Phaeton fiasco. It gives me no pleasure at all to see VW incurring this level of cost, but it must learn and learn fast that folk will start buying cheap Korean cars rather than expensive VW ones when this sort of crappy amateur night engineering is employed in "premium" brands

Oh dear, I'll enter this post.

07 Cali, 39k miles, roof repaired under warranty 06/09 & 06/12, now it is bubbling again front edge and where the roof seal rubs.

Written to VW Customer Service await reply.

Did anyone get a copy of the TPI on this issue

moonshine said:
Oh dear, I'll enter this post.

07 Cali, 39k miles, roof repaired under warranty 06/09 & 06/12, now it is bubbling again front edge and where the roof seal rubs.

Written to VW Customer Service await reply.

Did anyone get a copy of the TPI on this issue

I don't believe the TPI has been issued yet. But if you read through there are some posts giving the details of the repair that they were given by VW CS.

If you're having the entire roof replaced - including the bellows - what happens if you've got an Iso-Top installed? Will you need to peel off the Iso-Top hook and loop before the Cali is sent away for the repair and hope the tape somehow sticks back on the new roof section? Anyone had this experience?

drmanhattan said:
If you're having the entire roof replaced - including the bellows - what happens if you've got an Iso-Top installed? Will you need to peel off the Iso-Top hook and loop before the Cali is sent away for the repair and hope the tape somehow sticks back on the new roof section? Anyone had this experience?

I currently plan to leave ours in place and will expect to received it back in the same state. It is an accessory sold by VW so its fitment should not be an 'issue'. They can source some replacement velcro from Brandrup as far as I am concerned.

I'll ask VWCS about it when I speak to them next week….

Cleaning over weekend and noticed it's coming through again.
6 month's it as lasted and it's been indoors since October! :crazy

I received a letter from VW on Friday. Confirming I was in the Q for repair. It gives the names of 4 approved repairers but does not say which one my vehicle will go to.
I think my nearest one (if thats the criteria used ) will be AB Crush Panelcraft. They do van conversions for VW.

No suggestion of a date yet though.

rob

Just spoken to VW Customer Care, my complaint from December last year hadn't been registered with them by the VW garage but has now so I should get updates.....
Sounds to me like a long process but when I enquired I was promised a courtesy California for the up to 10 days I would be without it, and collection / delivery on a low loader to the bodyshop so miles were not put on my vehicle.
That sounds like service - could be later on in the year but be aware of what Customer Care are offering and insist you get it.
MB

Let me know how you get on - ive a ten plate with exactly the same problem. Just taken it to the glagow verve dealership. They said they would investigate as its a special repair and get back to me - good to hear that they gave you a replacement Cali as its getting towards camping time again. Hope it all goes well.

hi,
while cleaning my 2008 ive seen bubbling under where the black front rubber roof seal sits,
there are bubbles most of the length

assume i need to show it to the dealer to start the process, will i qualify?

Hi ROB,

the vehicle must be inspected by a VW Commercial dealer who will submit a report, along with images to Volkswagen for approval and subsequent processing.

The situation at the moment is that vehicles up to six years old qualify for the rectification. That's derived from the 3 years paint warranty plus an additional three years as a goodwill gesture.

Remember that this is not perforation from the inside of the panel to the outside but a paint defect so the 10 year body warranty doesn't apply.

Beyond that, any applications for treatment on vehicles over 6 years old will be subject to review by the factory, the outcome of which is uncertain.

Given that yours is a 2008 model I'd be getting it to the Commercial dealer sharpish.

thank you very much , it was registered june 2008,

are there any photos i can see to compare?

my rust bubbles are all along where the black roof seal sits, so can only be seen when roof up is this common?
much appreciated

Back