Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Has anyone had the official repair carried out? I noticed mine has the problem at the weekend and I am a little concerned with my van going away for two weeks. Every time it goes in for work it always comes out with additional dirt or minor damage.

Raggedroy said:
Has anyone had the official repair carried out? I noticed mine has the problem at the weekend and I am a little concerned with my van going away for two weeks. Every time it goes in for work it always comes out with additional dirt or minor damage.

Long queue long wait they haven't started yet and they will be loaning a Cali for the duration ...

Agree that queue is going to be a very long one ... with more than 100 Cali's likely to be effected (there will other Owners who are not part of the Owners Forum ...) and only four repair centres around the country. According to the info we have been given - repairs are likely to take two weeks. Of course it is all depending on how many Cali's can be processed at any one time, but working through the backlog of Cali's could take well over a year. Meantime we are driving our Cali's looking like this ....

It's not a good advert for VW is it !

My latest update is SMG Tonbridge submitted claim(again) and I am getting updates from VW head office customer service department every other day . Latest news .....my complaint has not yet been confirmed at head office !

Meanwhile the list gets longer and my vehicle goes further down the list !
Amazing as it was first reported July 2013 and complaint originally accepted and acknowledged by VW head office .

Such a frustrating ordeal! :headbang

Two of us spotted the blistering on our Calis whilst at the Kettering meeting at the weekend.
Must get it to the dealer I guess to get it on the list.

We are still waiting for even an acknowledgement and we took our Vw to Preston in January

We are worried that we are not even on the repair list !

I think we will phone dealership on a daily basis.

Any other ideas?

I got an email from Breeze this morning detailing which body shop (Bristol) my vehicle would be going to, and giving me my VW case number. The body shop will be in contact in due course apparently… It also indicated that it is the AA who have the job of collecting / delivering our Calis.

Simon

Ouch - the picture is shocking. :shocked

It's a shame they can't do them in order of severity - mine's just a few bubbles at the moment so nothing I can't live with but once the paint starts flaking I'll be getting very impatient.

We are in the same boat. Not even knowing if we are on the waiting list. Communication from VW customer care is shocking. They keep trying to phone even though we have explained we are not available during the day.
Has anyone actually had the repair yet?

:help

has anyone been told that they are on the waiting list for the repair

i havent got an acknowledgement that we are on the list.

we took our cali in to dealer on 4th jan and havent heard anything since.

I phoned VW customer care directly to check I was on the list and they confirmed I was.

They said they expect to start repairs later this month or early next and I'd get a call in due course.

Just checked our Cali and sure enough there is a crack and blistering paintwork on the front roof panel.
Service is due very shortly so I will be raising the issue then.
Reading through this thread I suspect repairs are going to take many months and the thought of the whole roof having to be removed fills me with a sense of foreboding - I can pretty much guarantee that there will be endless subsequent problems with the system afterwards.
I have to say I am falling out of love over the constant niggles with such an expensive vehicle and am tempted to sell up. I never had all this hassle with any tent! :censor

I'm not sure how any of us are going to sell for top money with this paint work problem. As soon as a private buyer or dealer realises the repair is going to take a year they wont touch it.

My feeling as well Raggedroy. It will have to be sorted before even thinking about a sale.

Cleaning my van this morning and just discovered bubbles on mine :doh My van is less than a year old :sad

Looks like I have got a three hour round trio in the week to my local dealer :headbang

Trotters said:
Cleaning my van this morning and just discovered bubbles on mine :doh My van is less than a year old :sad

Looks like I have got a three hour round trio in the week to my local dealer :headbang

I didn't take mine to the local dealer - just phoned VW Customer Care directly. At the time some dealers were still doing resprays rather than the full monty repair job so I wanted to make sure it was done properly.

With a 3 hour round trip to your nearest dealer you could try going directly to VW Customer Care....

Question,

Has anyone had the formal repair done yet?

Ollie

Hi
I have a late 2007 Cali and notice blisters along the main roof edge not the front panel should this be covered by VW or am I wasting my time due to the vehicles age?

Hi Tim

" Nothing ventured nothing gained " Go for it.
I have a 2002 VW ex works transporter van that's lived outdoors all it's life and the only visible rust staining is on the fuel flap.

Tim Cole said:
Hi
I have a late 2007 Cali and notice blisters along the main roof edge not the front panel should this be covered by VW or am I wasting my time due to the vehicles age?

Take it to your local dealer and ask them to take the relevant photos and submit a claim for you.

cheers

Can anyone confirm if the whole roof is replaced (the actual elevating part) or is it just the base section with offending front panel?
I was about to fit a solar panel but if it's the whole roof that goes then I'll wait until it's been done.

sue.h said:
:help

has anyone been told that they are on the waiting list for the repair

i havent got an acknowledgement that we are on the list.

we took our cali in to dealer on 4th jan and havent heard anything since.

I called VWcustomer service and they confirmed that we are on the list. There are 4 centres as we know from previous Info. They will be doing 2 calis at a time in each centre. The loan Cali will not be able to be used outside uk so if the repair clashes with a trip abroad, your repair will be rescheduled.

Hope this is useful to you all.

Sue

I was cleaning my Cali at the weekend. Climbed on some steps to clean the roof and noticed a paint bubble. The bubble is toward the rear, 5mm x 5mm in size, and about 6" in from the awning rail. Cali is only 6 months old, possibly a manufacturing paint defect that has been present all along rather than corrosion?

I've got it booked in with Heritage Bristol next week for lowering and also having mudflaps fitted. But my list of warranty work appears to be growing: knocking steering, sliding table trim coming loose, paint bubble on roof *sigh* :?

Just got ours registered with VW Service so it's now on the list.
The guy there says that work is just about to start and that currently they only have one dealer trained up with three others in the pipeline.
No idea how long it will be before the work is carried out but confirmed there are "quite a few" to be done.
Also doesn't currently know if the whole roof is replaced or just the bad bits, waiting for VW to give them more details apparently.

briwy said:
Just got ours registered with VW Service so it's now on the list.
The guy there says that work is just about to start and that currently they only have one dealer trained up with three others in the pipeline.
No idea how long it will be before the work is carried out but confirmed there are "quite a few" to be done.
Also doesn't currently know if the whole roof is replaced or just the bad bits, waiting for VW to give them more details apparently.

my word - its worrying that the story you get depends on who answers the phone !!!

Back