Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion - Update 13th June

Tomsusie said:
Hi
Me again!
Every time this issue arises it gets my blood boiling all over again.
Instead of VW spending millions on advertising how good their product is why don't they put as much effort into sorting this problem out.
When I first noticed the problem on my California 2012 it was less than a year old and I was that sick that I offered to sell the vehicle back knowing that I would lose out anyway with taxes etc.
However, you can imagine my disgust when I was only offered £30000 for my California when they were selling the exact same vehicle for over £39000 in their showroom.
I have always bought VW over the years, but this episode with my hard earned £46000 California has really sickened me and when I eventually need a new car I will be looking at another manufacturer.
Please don't mention the subject again :censor

We are all frustrated & in same position as you. It will get repaired eventually.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

No blistering on my Cal - registered 31/12/2013. Hope it stays that way!

I can confirm our late silver 2011 has small patches of blistering on the panel above the front window. Both sides near the gutter, and a small patch above the drivers side near the windscreen. Thanks for reminding me to get it sorted :crazy :thanks

No corrosion, but it is only 2 months old!
Moosehead

To date I DO NOT have any corrosion on my roof. I think my neighbour thought I had 'lost it' when she saw me going up and down the step ladder peering closely at the paint work. --first with roof up, then down.
It's no laughing matter for those who do have a problem.
Well done to the people who have, on behalf of all of us, gone that extra mile to get VW to do the necessary work. I must remember to keep checking. No good being complacent.
:thumb

We have reported the blistering and our van is probably one of the last effected, we took delivery july 2013.....

We have three "blisters" and growing !! I have (hopefully) uploaded 3 photos of the three blisters - which are all along the top front roof panel along the back edge.

img][/img]

Thought we had got away with it....but no.
Found the start of corrosion on the front panel today.

Will be off to the dealer next week.

Alan

I purchased a 4 motion new in 2009. To date I have no problems at all with the vehicle including roof corrosion. 100% happy with VW. Kind Regards Peter Miller YP09 UMA.

Hi

Thank you for your email yesterday, like many others I did not know anything about this problem until yesterday.

I have checked and I don't have the problem BUT I am wishing I did have the problem as from what I am reading it is only a matter of time before it occurs.
What happens if it does not occur for another three years when the extended warranty has expired?

Hi

My Cali (reg March 2012) developed paint blistering around the front panel. By pure good luck it happened to be chosen by VW Commercial Vehicles to finalise the factory approved repair process in December last. I believe they had previously carried out the repair on one other UK customer's vehicle in October when German technicians came over to Milton Keynes to instruct UK staff on the procedure. They took my van by transporter from Manchester to Milton Keynes and back. VW established that the job requires two workshop bays for two weeks - with only four centres doing the work, it is clearly going to be a very long job.

VW pointed out that the repair involves a gasket around the cab roof and they were concerned that this would be rather obvious on a white vehicle such as mine. Indeed they asked whether I wanted them to omit the gasket. I asked for the gasket to be provided and in practice it is not at all noticeable.

So far the cab roof seems fine and I have not detected any other rust on the roof.

I have very mixed feelings about the whole saga. I was appalled that a major manufacturer could make such a major design cock-up, but relieved that they have the resources to (eventually) put it right.

Good luck to everyone awaiting their repair!

Ian

Just checked my roof and I have bubbling on the passengers side front panel near the gutter can't see any on the main part of the roof yet could someone please tell me the best course of action
I'm away in the van in Europe for the next few weeks so won't be able to report it until I return to jersey then I suppose it will be a ferry to the uk and back and a couple of flights in between ! Wonder if vw will pay for these :laugh2
My van is 2011 so will vw still carry the work out under warranty?

Hi
Phone up VW customer care and get your name on file, they should then organise repair.
Hope this helps.

Haven't been on here in a long while and had noticed blistering on my front panel and had it looked at by VW van centre in Birmingham a few weeks ago who have taken photos and sent them to VW for approval to carry out the work ( they said it can take up to 6 weeks to get approval) having read some of the posts on here after getting the email yesterday from the forum it looks like its a much bigger problem that will need more than re-painting.

andyhull said:
Just checked my roof and I have bubbling on the passengers side front panel near the gutter can't see any on the main part of the roof yet could someone please tell me the best course of action
I'm away in the van in Europe for the next few weeks so won't be able to report it until I return to jersey then I suppose it will be a ferry to the uk and back and a couple of flights in between ! Wonder if vw will pay for these :laugh2
My van is 2011 so will vw still carry the work out under warranty?

You will need to take your California to a VW van centre who will take photos & send a warranty claim in to VW. The van centre will then liaise between the bodyshop who will do the work & you to arrange a date for the repair in due course. Yes your 2011 Cali will be covered under warranty.
All repairs are to be done in the order that the warranty claim was lodged with VW. So for those that have recently found & put claim in it could be a long wait, but will get done.
Your Cali will be collected on a transporter & a loan left for you to use. The loan Cali can not be taken abroad. VW should foot the complete cost.
I believe an Irish member has had his Cali collected from Ireland & taken to UK for the repair.

I hope this clarifys things for you & others.

hi

thanks for the swift replies at least it looks as though everyone will get sorted eventually i'll get on it as soon as i get home
thanks andy :cool

So at this point we have 140 Votes in the poll -

75 on the front panel

9 on the roof only

56 on both

So 66 of 75 have bubbles on the main roof section - I do not see how VW can even begin to argue that the two are not connected or is not likely to manifest at a later date. So far as I am concerned they have no option to acknowledge the problem and fix both issues at the same time or extend the paint warranty to 6 years or more for the entire roof section.

I have checked the roof of my VW California 2006 and it does not appear to have any problem. I will try to more in detail when I have the time.
A problem that definitely has is the faulty control panel pushbutton/selector. It is over sensitive and to make a selection can require a lot of time...

Regards

Roberto Schieppati

It's a joke, or would be if it were not so bloody infuriating,

Here I am parked at Le Mans after seeing an Audi (VAG) 1 & 2 finish. They spend all this money on getting results to promote the brands, assure you of the quality you are buying into.....then in reality act like 1950s....car salesmen.

We now have at least 65 people with corrosion of the main elevating roof , we however need more pictures of this please. If you can upload them here it will really help us, We need as much feedback as possible before we get back to VW.

Also please make sure you have added your entry to the poll above, (this is only a guide but still very useful) this can only be done via the website and not on Tapatalk.

Thanks

Hi folks...I've attached a pic of my Cali front panel. Vehicle purchased Nov 2012 making it 18 months old. Was not expecting the micro blistering! Will check the whole roof over tomorrow in daylight.

Regards

Bob

Bought mine only a few months back, I cant see anything happening yet. Does this affect 2014 models too, or did they finally correct this shocking problem?

Hi, Pleased to report that we have no detectable roof corrosion/paint blistering at this time. 2011 reflex silver New Zealand delivery, now at 23ooo kms.
Alex

Stu said:
So at this point we have 140 Votes in the poll -

75 on the front panel

9 on the roof only

56 on both

So 66 of 75 have bubbles on the main roof section - I do not see how VW can even begin to argue that the two are not connected or is not likely to manifest at a later date. So far as I am concerned they have no option to acknowledge the problem and fix both issues at the same time or extend the paint warranty to 6 years or more for the entire roof section.
u

Yep.

Unequivocally.

With the comprehensive evidence produced here legally VW have no option other than extend the issue to the main roof and warranty both for at least 6 years.

Great idea sending out that email Martin and truly worthwhile support to the California owning community.

Thanks for the message.

Yes I have quite bad corrosion on the front panel over screen and also in several places under the rubber seal.

I have registered it with my local dealer and VW in Bristol will be calling me to arrange a repair under warranty. So all good :)

Do you need to know anything else?

Ps your forum has been very informative so thank you for that.

Here is a picture of the blisters on the front panel as requested I'll give the whole roof a good check over once I've got the topper off
Cheers Andy

Back