Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion - Update 13th June

Yorkshire Heathen - we all share this view and will doubtless work together to get a correct & fair result.

Reviewing points 1 ) & 2) again -

1) VW have not declared a cause. I think that is disconcerting. I suspect this is because the cause affects both roof parts. Or worse still they don't know!!!

2) Think a date of production (rather than just from Q3 on) AND what was that production change? That'll be the answer to point 1).

Their responses are impressively minimalist and commercially diplomatic!

Martin could we ask VW for a copy of the repair TPI. People would then know definitely what is being done to their cali & stop some of the speculation. Or as this was not in your letter have we missed the bus on this ??

Good point Andy, I will get this added to the email I will be sending next week. Thanks

Thanks for the email.
I have just checked the whole roof area including under the seal so far as possible.
There is no evidence of corrosion to the elevating roof that I can see at the present time.
There is serious corrosion to the front nearside corner of the front panel starting with a crack in the paintwork. This has been agreed as a warranty issue by VW and I am waiting to hear from them for a date of repair.

Martin said:
Good point Andy, I will get this added to the email I will be sending next week. Thanks

Only sorry I did not think of it last time.

I had an email from my contact at Customer Services confirming authorization for roof repair to be done, which will happen at the same time as the front panel repair. Also stated that local van centre will contact me with date for repair in due course.

Roof Corrosion - Update 13th June

Link here to my previous post from June 2013 showing elevating roof blistering. Reported to VW Customer Services and assured at the time that I was on the list for repair. It was inspected at the time by Citygate at Wooburn Green who were very helpful, but obviously as they are not one of the certified body shops they are not responsible for the next step

viewtopic.php?t=4132#p39838

Photos of our corrosion below.
In the dip at the rear of the front panel.
At front corner just above windscreen (2x photos)

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

2014-02-02%252015.53.41.jpg

2014-02-02%252015.47.18.jpg

2014-02-02%252015.44.26.jpg

Photos all taken six months ago, & sent to VW, not looked since so maybe worse now.

This issue is also very well known in the German Community as "Blumenkohl" (Cauliflower) and recognized by VWN Germany. Surprisingly VW is very generous and replaces the roof (partial) of even up to 6 Year old cars.

My Car was also affected and the they replaced the roof last week, on monday they are ready to give it back.

Some pictures from the new RCBR module, the mosquito graveyard is now closed:

Also a few pictures from the rotting roof:

Once the issue is reported and accepted by VWN it could take up to 8 months for the replacement due to the high queue of affected cars.

Please excluse my bad english

Chris

Mine was new in Summer 2012 and has rotting front panel but nothing on the elevating roof section yet.

Reported in Nov 2013, still trying to get the local van centre to resubmit so I can get on a waiting list for repair. Me and VW CS have been chasing for 3 weeks so far without success. :headbang

Some pics as requested:

I've just checked both the roof and the front panel. I'd already reported the roof to VW in August last year and haven't heard a single thing since, not great customer service.

Following the email this morning I checked the roof and have now also spotted the paintwork on that blistering as well.

I'll give my local Cambridge VW centre Vindis a nudge and also now report the roof. Not great service as someone who has bought two cars from Vindis since I reported the problem with our Cali.

R doo all and anyone
Still waiting for allocated bodyshop AB Crush in Canterbury to contact me re 'warranty paintwork repairs'. Looked again today and now corrosion is on the pop up roof aswell as above the windscreen :headbang

7th May was my initial response from the service department at SMGUK!
Approaching summer holidays aswell.....aaarrgghhhh
Paul
:doh

Reported cauliflower on front panel to VW local service agent took photos and I now have a letter from VW customer service manager stating it will be fixed as per this post.
Estimated 3 month wait and 2 weeks fix time. Hence my requesting letter to that effect.
Regards Peter

We have corrosion on the front panel and now on main roof which has appeared only in the past few weeks, they say the main roof is a totally seperate problem so I have to drive a 2 hiur round trip to have photo's taken. What happens to people who have the front panel repaired and then a few months later it appears on the roof aswell?

I can only drive an automatic so will they give me the option of a DSG as the loan Cali? I hope so !

:censor :headbang

Hello,
-
Her Edwin from Holland, i have repare the roof a few weeks ago.
My camper is a 2011 california 180 pk DSG - platenr: 6-TSR-20
-
What would you advise me to do now?
-
-
Greetings Edwin
from Holland

Edwin, do you mean you have had new roof or new front panel?

( BTW, well done last night against Spain :thumb )

Thanks for the email.

We have corrosion on both the front panel and the elevating roof (I have completed the poll on the forum) of our September 2010 Cali. Our dealer took 9 months and lots of pushing to get anything done but the work was finally approved to be done under warranty. After contacting VW customer Services twice following their recent letter, we had a call from Heritage (we are in Cornwall) to say we were on the list and they will contact us again nearer to the date of the repair!

I found some blisters on the elevating roof of my 2011 Cali and took it to a nearby vw van centre shortly before the vehicle's 3 year warranty expired. The bodyshop removed some of the blisters wih a respray but not all. Not satisfied with the work , I then took it to another VW van centre to report the remaining smaller blisters. Photos we're taken of the offending blisters but I was a bit surprised to be told by the dealer that the claim for a repair had been refused. Asked what method of repair would be carried out I was told it would have been another respray job, not a roof replacement. My concern now is that, since I have had 'work' done on my roof blisters, albeit unsatisfactorily, I no longer qualify to have a roof replacement. Is this the case, or am I mistaken? (Apologies if this has been answered in this thread or elsewhere. I tried to search but couldn't find any posts describing a similar situation to mine.)

if i had my time again i would live with the corrosion! i have been with out my Cali for the best part of 2 years since discovering the blistering paintwork.

painted twice both times failed with in months corrosion came back, november 12 VW decided to replace the cast panel.

such a bad job done the van has leaked ever since roof up or roof down the van has now been in the local dealer since before christmas,

Now going into heritage to be sorted out don't hold much hope for it to ever be fixed. in my fourth demonstrator in two years, When i comes back i will probably sell the van and buy a Hyundai.

VW don't give a **** about you as a customer,
the dealer where it is now isn't where we purchased the vehicle from they don't care even had them say in a meeting that if you had bought from us then you would have had a new vehicle by now, but as you didn't not our problem. however it was there bad workmanship that turned my van into a sieve.

I know it looks bad on a 50K vehicle but take my advice deal with the corrosion you will be in for a lot of sleepless and stressful nights ahead.

Anyone Know of a good solicitor willing to take on VW if so contact me via the Forum. I am at that stage,

Tiny imperfections all over the front panel, roof been replaced twice see my posts so unlikely to corode

Andy said:
At present only Californias with blistering paintwork will be repaired. Any that have had this problem repaired in the past will not be redone.

What I am trying to ask is does the above apply in my situation? Thanks.

I'm responding to the email from the Cali Admin team asking for details and photos of roof corrosion. My 2005 California Comfortline has four patches of blistering along the edge of the front panel, three of them about one inch across and one of four inches (which it looks like the previous owner tried to repair). Can't see anything on the main elevating roof. I've attached a couple of not very good photos.
Do I fall outside the time frame as this is an imported 2005 model and I am the second owner?

In response to the mail, our 3 month old Cali has no sign of it - yet.

We are very lucky with our California as it will only be 2 years old this coming Nov and currently have NO signs of rust on the roof.

Kindest regards,

Chris and Liz :p

Trotters said:
We have corrosion on the front panel and now on main roof which has appeared only in the past few weeks, they say the main roof is a totally seperate problem so I have to drive a 2 hiur round trip to have photo's taken. What happens to people who have the front panel repaired and then a few months later it appears on the roof aswell?

Even if you don't see it the rotting process should have started when the front panel is showing cauliflowers. Check carefully beneath the seal from the rooftop.

Chris

Back