Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion - Update 13th June

Have only become aware of this issue after receiving an email this morning from the vwcalifornia website.

I have had a quick look at our California Beach, and it looks like there are a few small areas of blistering on the roof front panel, along the leading edge above the windscreen, and the rounded corner on the drivers side.

It is not the main panel within which the windscreen is fixed, but the secondary roof panel above that which is what I assume other people are having the issue with. I cannot seem to see any evidence of blistering to the rear of this front panel, or on the main elevating roof section.

Regards, Brian.

No problems yet, fingers crossed! However it's early days yet, as our van is only 6m old (140 grey SE).

Hi Admin Cali Team
Thanks for the Email....yes, I am aware of the issue which is very obvious on our Cali, and even added our details to the list of problem Calis, which was drawn up at the COTF Meeting back in 2013.
In June 2013, I brought our Cali to SMG in Cowfold , where they took the necessary photographs of the corrosion and submitted these to VW.
They received the Okay to fix the problem and even gave us a date in August for the repair.
Unfortunately we were using the Cali on our holidays then and so we agreed to reschedule.
In September we received a call from Nick at SMG Cowfold stating that VW were offering a NEW FIX which would be "later in the year"
I've been waiting to hear when this can be scheduled and have been using the Forum to keep abreast of "progress" ...or lack of it !!!.
I have booked to attend the COTF Meeting in July and was planning to do a catch up with everyone of the current situation.....I'm still hoping to hear some positive news so please keep up the correspondence / pressure/ news feeds etc.
Thanks

Hi Derek Patton
As you are probably aware there is a serious issue with roof corrosion on the the VW California front panel above the windscreen where the paint starts to bubble and blister. We now have many reports of the same problem happening to the main elevating roof and we really need your feedback to help us gather information to give to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.
If you have not already done so please check your roof and report back to us via the forum
What to check for:
Take a look at the entire roof and front panel for any imperfections in the paintwork, the blisters can start very small at just a few millimetres in diameter, also when checking the elevating roof the blisters they can be hidden under the rubber seal so check very carefully.
Once you have checked please report back to us on the forum only with details and even some pictures if possible, if you do not want to make a post please look at the top of the thread where you will see a poll where you can select if you have an issue or not.
Thanks for your time it is really appreciated.
The Admin Cali Team
Direct link to Roof Corrosion Thread viewtopic.php?f=71&t=7136

Our Cali has been in for the main roof to have paint work done on both sides, we now have corrosion coming through on the front roof panel. It has had photos taken at the VW van centre Guildford, we're now waiting for contact from VW warranty to see when it will get done.
The van was first registered in March 2012.

Good Afternoon,

Just checked my Jan 12 California as a result of your email. Lo and behold there is a blister on the front panel above the driver's head; and signs of very small blisters in the centre of the front panel immediately forwards of the roof seal when closed.

No sign of any blistering on the roof.

Keep up the good work.

Hi, Had corrosion on front panel and main roof of 2008 model, been repaired twice under
warranty in 2012 and 2013.To much hassle now sold.

Having had the blistering paint treated twice, the first time on the front above the drivers door, the second time where the elevating roof meets the front panel, the blistering paint returned to the front on both near side and offside. My claim for replacement panel has been lodged since September 2014. My last update from VW was a phone call approx 6 weeks ago saying I was still in the list awaiting repair.

We have a 2007 Californoia, so suspect it falls just outside the six year paint warranty - although the corrosion must have started well within the 6 years to get to its current condition. There were two larger patches of corrosion where the front static portion meets the elevating roof, and then about 9 or so smaller blisters around the elevating roof - all where the rubber trim terminates and presumably retains water.

I know this post is about the roof, but there is also considerable corrosion on the tailgate - around the high level brake light and also next to the over-number plate trim piece.

I had a 2003 Alfa 147, which I was always warned would turned into a heap of rust - it didn't - it had not a single spot of rust on it when I sold it last year to buy the Cali. VW had the reputation of being among the leaders in anti corrosion, I'm afraid my 'cheap old Alfa' was made of better stuff, or in a better way. Neither brand seems to deserve its reputation.

As requested, I have photographed, not the most exciting photos I've ever taken, but they show the issues. There are another 8 photos of corrosion spots on the roof, but 5 is the max the forum allows, and they are fairly repetitive - another blister, and another etc.

If someone could advise if they believe a 2007 vehicle is too old to make a claim I would be grateful.

Thanks and good luck to others taking on the might of the VW machine.

Stephen

Oh dear - rust on the tailgate - I assumed that would have been completely galvanised.

That's really grim.

Yep, we got it too. Jan 2013 Grey 180. 2 inch blistering on right side front panel. Obviously bought it a few months too early! Will take it into van centre Monday and scream and shout!

hI

I HAVE A 2012 Cali

there is corrosion /blistering paint ;on the main roof and above the windscreen

I have taken some photos if they are of any use?

Will

I noticed paint bubbling on the edge where both panels meet on my vans front panel last year and to be honest thought nothing of it until I joined this forum and realised there is a fault with what seems the majority of California owners. With me purchasing our van second hand I was very aware I would have no manufactures warranty but assumed the paint warranty would cover any work that needs doing. But this seems not to be the case if vw are only going to honour three years good will after your three years warranty expires that would make 2008 a cut of point so all us Cali owners prior to this could be on our own regarding what seems a manufacturing fault. And like previous posts regarding this it started well before now and older vans have had this repair supposedly fixed so vw know the problem has existed since probably twelve months after the first California's rolled off the production line.
So even till late last year there was no definite answer regarding a permanent fix so I have held off till this week when I finally got round to taking my van to benfields at Carlisle. Who to be fair couldn't have been more helpfull but the guy who took my details also said that vw are not going to fix all vans concerned and six years is a cut of point so my 2007 might not be repaired but would get back to me regarding this once he has spoken or sent my details to vw. As off yet I have no word either way, maybe wish now I reported this last year but with no definite repair sorted or manufactures warranty I assumed vw wouldn't care less. I really hope that vw fix everyone's van that is corroding wether it's a 2013 or a 2005 surely if it's a manufacturing fault then all vans should be fixed never mind vans six years old or younger, it might make buying or selling older California's not viable if they are prone to corrosion on the front panel or roof.
The warranty guy at Carlisle also said that I am the forth california who has reported front panel corrosion this year and as of yet no one has been given a repair date.

I've been told by Carrs in Exeter last week, we will be waiting a very long time for repairs.

James

I haven't got any yet but I will be checking every single day from now on :headbang

Thanks for the post. Just checked my 57 plate California and found blistering on the panel above the windscreen, the roof seems ok. Update - the front edge underneath the roof has a small box section running the width of the roof & I can see blistering paint. After a call to VW customer service I am going to my local Van Center tomorrow to have photographs taken.

Six & a half year old vehicle - It's going to be very emotional.

Hi, thank you for the email this morning from the Admin Team.

Up until today I did not know what blistering paintwork was so after reading the email I went out and checked my 2013 Cali and I have bubbles on the front panel above the windscreen and also on the main roof at the the rear.

I plan to sell my Cali next month as we are moving overseas, where does this leave me?

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for update. We have bubbling at one end of front panel. We spoke to local service centre in Fife a few weeks ago and they explained that repairs would now be done in north of england with a loan cali while ours was away. We are waiting to be notified of date.

Thanks very much for raising this issue. I have a 2007 Cali, 30k miles. Paintwork is in excellent condition. I also have just recently noticed blistering paintwork on the panel above the windscreen joining the raised roof. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it before. It looks like it will become a significant problem if it isn't fixed so I am keen to do so sooner rather than later.

Will VW do this under warranty now for me if I contact one of the approved centres or is this still under negotiation?

So it appears in Europe VW have extended the warranty on the entire roof assembly to 6 years which is exactly what we are looking for.

Those of you that don't have it, I'm afraid that's probably not a good thing. You need to have it before they will consider a repair.

Lightyear - A point I realised with VW and earlier in this thread. VW are not really bothered and suggest you simply tell the new owner it will be repaired. I can see this costing you in terms of bartering with a buyer and frankly I can't see any VW dealer wanting to take one in PX as they'll then have the same issue trying to sell it. Not acceptable in my view.

James - Agree on the lead times. VW have hugely underestimated the number of repairs required.

Martin - Now that you have a wider audience and it appears more victims, I am sure you are already, but can we document these cases properly so with owners names and vehicle reg numbers. This I think will be useful to work towards collating evidence if it needs to be taken further.

Today I noticed I have the dreaded whiteworm on one of my wheels - Yet something else to add to the list!!

I jokingly said, 'a year' to Carrs, he looked sheepish and didn't reply...

In theory, if i wanted to sell my van next year, it may not be worth my while, i may have to hang onto until it is sorted.

I am fortunate, i of course have the bubbling, but people have suffered far worse. TBH I can see VW almost hoping people give up, i think the they have far too many repairs, there are a lot of UK Calis.

James said:
I jokingly said, 'a year' to Carrs, he looked sheepish and didn't reply...

In theory, if i wanted to sell my van next year, it may not be worth my while, i may have to hang onto until it is sorted.

I am fortunate, i of course have the bubbling, but people have suffered far worse. TBH I can see VW almost hoping people give up, i think the they have far too many repairs, there are a lot of UK Calis.

My previous post -

Stu said:
253 working days in 2014 which is around 50 weeks. The lady told me they can do 16 Cali's every 2 weeks with 4 Bodyshops so I reckon the maximum per year is 400. Given that this affects all California from 2006 up to March 2013 that's going to be quite a few.

Using the How Many Left data I counted 1697 currently licensed. Assuming they do them all (which they should but they won't) it would take over 4 years!!!

Although if I remember correctly I didn't include Beach in that figure.

Hi
Yes, I have had corrosion on the front panel from new (2012).
The panel has been repaired once, but the corrosion returned within 6 months, I am now waiting for the new repair option where they replace the panel with a new one and hopefully it will solve the problem.

Hi
Me again!
Every time this issue arises it gets my blood boiling all over again.
Instead of VW spending millions on advertising how good their product is why don't they put as much effort into sorting this problem out.
When I first noticed the problem on my California 2012 it was less than a year old and I was that sick that I offered to sell the vehicle back knowing that I would lose out anyway with taxes etc.
However, you can imagine my disgust when I was only offered £30000 for my California when they were selling the exact same vehicle for over £39000 in their showroom.
I have always bought VW over the years, but this episode with my hard earned £46000 California has really sickened me and when I eventually need a new car I will be looking at another manufacturer.
Please don't mention the subject again :censor

We have it too on our 13 month old Beach.
Small patch above passenger side

Off to VW this week to report it.

You're doing a great job highlighting the problem. It's a lot easier to tackle VW as a group.

I share tomsusie's fristration. My 2008 Cali has already had a repair to the front panel, and repair to bubbling on the rear of the roof, above the rubber seal. No sign, so far, of anything else happening. We currently have 3 VWs in our family, and I have owned 5 over the years; all of them serviced by VW throughout their time with us. And I must say that my local dealer and their linked bodyshop (Gilders now JCT600 in Sheffield) have always looked after me well.

But will I buy one again?? The fact is that many of the good features of the Cali (sliding seat etc) are beginning to be used by other manufacturers / converters, and the brilliant idea of the seat storage in the tailgate causes as many problems as it solves - as our friend in Portugal at the moment is finding out, unable to open his door after a minor ding.

Yes, VW have a problem in sorting this out, but it's their problem that they have made ours as well.

Lewis

Back