Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Re: POLL: Roof Paintwork Issues

Just called VW Customer Care and mentioned the 55 problem vans. A case is being opened that will go as high up the customer service chain as needed.

I mentioned that they will probably get a flood of calls which seemed to help.

I should hear back in the next two days. If nothing happens I will go into "contact decision makers direct" mode. Usually gives fast and positive results.

What I've never understood is how VW has let this problem drag on for so long. Assuming the 55 out of 89 is typical, it means 62% of Californias have roof corrosion! This is just amazing.

NickE said:
What I've never understood is how VW has let this problem drag on for so long. Assuming the 55 out of 89 is typical, it means 62% of Californias have roof corrosion! This is just amazing.

And I bet some of those remaining unaffected will soon add to that figure.

Anyway they should soon know about it.

With the % so high soon it will be described as a feature. :crazy

Those at COTF will be aware that we carried out a roof corrosion survey. The result was quite shocking! 55 out of 89 Calis either suffering it, or having had it repaired. Some owners whose Calis we inspected in their absence are probably still unaware they are sufferers. We only looked at the area adjacent to the front side rails.

Don’t worry, we intend to take this right to the top at VW on behalf of all Cali owners, and above if necessary. We have a list of the registration numbers of the affected vehicles, the oldest being an 07 reg, the youngest, a six week old 13 reg. We didn’t note colours, but being 55, there was obviously a reasonable spread. The reason we took the reg numbers is because that is the way VW will be able to check if a warranty claim has been already made by the owner.

It came to light at COTF that all Calis built after March this year have modified roof construction, (how’s that for fast reactions to a problem by VW !) :clap This includes some sort of material separating the front aluminium section from the steel section of the roof. This was further backed up by the presence of Aileen’s new Irish registered Cali which apparently is only the second one to be supplied to Ireland with a build completion in March 2013 with this mod clearly visible ( Yes, I took a photograph )

Furthermore, it is thought that VW are sending VW personnel on a two day training course on how to do remedial work for warranty claims in Germany. Don’t hold your breath, because there is a big queue and being Brits we'll probably queue up and wait our turn (or will we?), but it seems there might be light at the end of the tunnel!

We’re on the case, so any relevant information you have would be helpful.

Graham

Great work graham. I will check mine tomorrow. Where should I be looking :?:

If you want to add mine, PN61 XXH, Natural grey.

Good work!

+A 2011 Beach which will soon be paying a visit to my local Swiss dealer.

Thanks to this forum because otherwise I might not have have noticed until after the warranty period (as a Silver, it rarely needs to be washed...or I may be too lazy :oops:)...

I cant see how mine can be a reaction between dissimilar metals since it is right in the middle of the front panel above the rear view mirror and as far away from the steel body as it could get. Unless there is a steel bracket underneath possibly.
Does sound from all the reports that the front panel issue is (generally) affecting newer vehicles. If I was tasked by VW to investigate I would be looking at the aluminium supplier and how they store & prepare the material. Other suspect would be the prep before painting and possibly even how the panel is held while it is being painted in the factory.

As an aside GRP is not immune to bubbling. Osmosis is/was a common problem in yachts. Luckily a cali roof is unlikely to be submerged for long periods of time (I hope :lol: ).

I would be very surprised if you’ve got corrosion in the middle of a panel and that there is none in the gulley adjacent to the side rails. Run your thumb right into the corners at the front that you can’t see from the ground. Not that I’m wishing the plague on you!

I did notice that Face Lift models seemed more affected than Pre Face Lift.

The van is currently with Breeze Van center trying to cure a rattle in the rear but when I get it back I will check the area around the rail. I have not noticed any problems there when cleaning the roof.
This is a pic of the issue I have. It was sent to VW two weeks ago and I'm still awaiting a reply from Breeze / VW customer care.

[album]796[/album]

SusiBus said:
I would be very surprised if you’ve got corrosion in the middle of a panel and that there is none in the gulley adjacent to the side rails. Run your thumb right into the corners at the front that you can’t see from the ground. Not that I’m wishing the plague on you!

Checked the area again last night and for me its 'only' in the middle of the panel that I have the issue. Think that's good news for me but at the end of the day I still need to get the panel repaired.

I cant see how mine can be a reaction between dissimilar metals since it is right in the middle of the front panel above the rear view mirror and as far away from the steel body as it could get. Unless there is a steel bracket underneath possibly

Looking at the VW California Self Study document there is indead, as I suspected steel under the front of the ali panel. They cut the roof out & leave a 'bar' above the winscreen, suspect this is to mount the screen to & retain shape as wellas to increase strength.
So your blistering could still be caused by material reaction.

Does sound from all the reports that the front panel issue is (generally) affecting newer vehicles.

There is a list of ovwer 100 affected calis on the german forum rite across the age range.

Great work Graham.
Like others I'm astonished to be facing problems like this on new vehicle. I’m trying to stay chilled and not let it spoil the Cali experience, but given how wide spread this issue is I really do expect more from the dealer network.

To be fair those I’ve spoken to have been relatively helpful and courteous so far, but this is a known issue so when I phone up a dealer I don’t want to be given the number of their independent body shop.
There aren’t many Cali dealers, so for most of us it’s a time consuming round trip. Surely this should be simple, a call to the dealers perhaps sending a photo if needed. Then book a time to drop the van off / collect a courtesy vehicle and they sort it out from there.

Sorry moan over, but its just good customer service.
Anyway here's a pic from my 13 plate. Like owen_h I have a paint issue mid panel.

Plus some problems down the nearside T rail on the roof.

Yours is unusual, but the Irish Calli at COTF had exactly the shape bubble in a similar place. So sorry your not unique!

Discovered on mine today but I am out of warranty by over a year, will this be covered by the 10 year corrosion warranty?

The Body Protection Warranty is 12 years not 10. Read New Vehicle Warranty guide p6.
Two of the preconditions are:
1 the DEFECT must be reported ......................with the warranty period

2 the PERFORATION....................

But is it only covered by the Paintwork protection ( 3 years )?
I think not, because the BPW states “full protection against rust attacking the internal cavities, which is where this corrosion emulates from.

SusiBus said:
The Body Protection Warranty is 12 years not 10. Read New Vehicle Warranty guide p6.
Two of the preconditions are:
1 the DEFECT must be reported ......................with the warranty period

2 the PERFORATION....................

But is it only covered by the Paintwork protection ( 3 years )?
I think not, because the BPW states “full protection against rust attacking the internal cavities, which is where this corrosion emulates from.
I don't believe the corrosion eminates from 'internal cavities' its almost certainly surface corrosion as the panels don't have holes where the corrosion has worked it's way through. I am pretty sure it's poor quality control in the pain shop leaving impurities under the layers of paint. It wouldn't surprise me if VW bought several thousand of these panels and they all (or a significant number) had a problem that wasn't apparent until all of them got to the market. Perhaps a European Cali owner can comment if there is a wider European problem.

Does anybody know what the annual Europe wide volume of Cali's is? Around 5 to 6000 per year?

They've just used the wrong paint!

The new fix seems to be something between the steel part of the roof and the ali box section above the windscreen (as seen on a new Cali at COTF) to stop water getting into the box section and lying mainly in the corners where most corrosion occurs. When water gets in electrochemical corrosion occurs probably originating from the metal edges within the box section, just like the rust that used to creep round the edges of wheel arches in the old days. The fact that most of this corrosion is creeping round from underneath the box section indicates that this is more than just a paint problem.

Okay, I may be wrong on that one. What puzzles me is how different some of the issues are; some in the middle of the roof section, most near the edge.

Has anyone had the paint bubble badly enough to see the damage underneath?

I'm beginning to wonder if the roof section is inadvertently conducting current from somewhere? Alloy (aluminium in this case) is more reactive than steel so there is a "gradient" of difference which causes conduction of ions. Think sacrificial zinc blocks on boat engines. Except its our roof sections that are sacrificial! You can get around it by electrically isolating the two metals but either current is "leaking" from our electrical systems or more likely, rain is causing it.

Land Rovers have always had issues with rust but its the steel that goes, not the aluminium body panels.

Somewhere along the design programme, VW has decided the fit an aluminium roof section but failed to isolate it properly. Therefore a re-paint is pointless.

beardie

Perhaps a European Cali owner can comment if there is a wider European problem.

Yes the problem is on european calis as well. German forum has a list of around 100 calis from 2007 to date with the problem.

Andy said:
beardie

Perhaps a European Cali owner can comment if there is a wider European problem.

Yes the problem is on european calis as well. German forum has a list of around 100 calis from 2007 to date with the problem.
So pre facelifts are affected as well then?
I was thinking it was only the GP cali that was prone to it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back