Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 Recall

I did read about the door lock issue.
Seems that the first fix(s) didn't solve the freezing up problem and that a more involved fix needed but due to parts availability this will be a slow process and I think was being started in Scandinavian countries first.

I do stand to be corrected as it was a bit back that I read about it.

In the german media they keep repeating the same without expalining any further.
I think it must only involve vehicles with electric doors and/or tailgates. No California has an electric opening tailgate , very few have electric sliding door, I think that's why +GrumpyGranddad is interested.
This I believe has nothing to do with the electrical soft close of sliding doors and tailgates that are standard on Ocean. I can't see how they could possibly cause the door to open.

In the german media they keep repeating the same without expalining any further.
I think it must only involve vehicles with electric doors and/or tailgates. No California has an electric opening tailgate , very few have electric sliding door, I think that's why +GrumpyGranddad is interested.
This I believe has nothing to do with the electrical soft close of sliding doors and tailgates that are standard on Ocean. I can't see how they could possibly cause the door to open.
The potential safety issue only needs to be a theoretical potential “safety” problem to prompt a safety recall.
The idea is to prevent an issue ever happening & negate potential personal injury (not limit it) cases are not assessed on a case by case basis Or assessed for the potential for it not to happen. Quite often safety recalls are based on the manufacturers own data of a potential issue, which prompts further investigations & remedial action.
VW would have had to look very very closely at the design, real world data & theoretical data showing a potential issue may exist and what incidence that may be vs the potential risk if a failure occurred (no matter how small the incidence, , if future potential & serious risk has been identified, it must be corrected via recall).

The potential safety issue only needs to be a theoretical potential “safety” problem to prompt a safety recall.
The idea is to prevent an issue ever happening & negate potential personal injury (not limit it) cases are not assessed on a case by case basis Or assessed for the potential for it not to happen. Quite often safety recalls are based on the manufacturers own data of a potential issue, which prompts further investigations & remedial action.
VW would have had to look very very closely at the design, real world data & theoretical data showing a potential issue may exist and what incidence that may be vs the potential risk if a failure occurred (no matter how small the incidence, , if future potential & serious risk has been identified, it must be corrected via recall).
On soft-close door only vehicles there is no mechanism that can mechanically open a door, there would be no mechanical device to be checked, fixed or replaced. The door would cannot open accidentally, not different from vehicles with doors without soft close.

Isn’t the issue that the electronics ‘think’ a door is locked when mechanically it might not be. That could apply to the front doors. Can’t believe that the recall is restricted to vans with electric sliding doors - surely not 200,000 of them installed across a 2 year period?

On soft-close door only vehicles there is no mechanism that can mechanically open a door, there would be no mechanical device to be checked, fixed or replaced. The door would cannot open accidentally, not different from vehicles with doors without soft close.
Maybe VW don’t have a clue how their vehicles work or the components they fit and just want to waste a shed load of money and time doing an unnecessary safety recall ?
:Iamsorry

VW would not carry out a recall if they thought they could get away with it !

edit

Last edited:
Maybe VW don’t have a clue how their vehicles work or the components they fit and just want to waste a shed load of money and time doing an unnecessary safety recall ?
:Iamsorry

VW would not carry out a recall if they thought they could get away with it !
certainly. Let's see when the dealers start calling people in.

Turned up at Citygate this morning for a ‘while I wait’ oil change service (2 hours). On arrival they advised that they’re also doing the door safety recall (3 hours), so looks like i’m here for 5 - 6 hours. And their coffee machine is out of order!!!! Time for a walk :)

Turned up at Citygate this morning for a ‘while I wait’ oil change service (2 hours). On arrival they advised that they’re also doing the door safety recall (3 hours), so looks like i’m here for 5 - 6 hours. And their coffee machine is out of order!!!! Time for a walk :)
Actually service and recall all completed in less than 3 hours :)

It doesn't have to open the door, it just needs the inner operating cable to stick so it leaves the latch in the same position as when you pulled the door handle to open the door. The door could look shut but not be latched properly.

It doesn't have to open the door, it just needs the inner operating cable to stick so it leaves the latch in the same position as when you pulled the door handle to open the door. The door could look shut but not be latched properly.
Yes. I didn’t ask for details of what they did today but they did mention release cables.

I remember your van being delivered about when I ordered a year ago GG. Do you need an oil change at 12 months?

I remember your van being delivered about when I ordered a year ago GG. Do you need an oil change at 12 months?
Hi Tim,

it’s good practice to change the oil and filter within the first year, (or sooner) the engine has run in and it will have additional metal in it From the natural bedding in progess the engine goes through.
by changing the oil you remove most of that metal, by changing the filter you ensure the larger, particles, if still present are trapped by the new filter.
VW regime for long service doesn’t have to be followed exactly, it just a minimum requirement, not to be exceeded (to meet the Manufacturers recommendation and warranty requirements)
Changing the oil can’t hurt.

I suspect GG is old Skool like many of us :Iamsorry

Hi @66tim99 I just went by the dashboard and WeConnect notices advising of the due Oil Change Service.
Actually, Citygate proactively called me to book it in as they have remote visibility of my van.
For info’ current mileage is only 7448. WeConnect suggests next service is at 24,900 miles.

Hi @66tim99 I just went by the dashboard and WeConnect notices advising of the due Oil Change Service.
Actually, Citygate proactively called me to book it in as they have remote visibility of my van.
For info’ current mileage is only 7448. WeConnect suggests next service is at 24,900 miles.
Thanks, so some services are variable, and the electronic systems decide the right time? I guess as @Perfectos says, and earlyish oil change is a good idea.
Great how it’s designed for 24,900 miles until first proper service! I wonder if that figure will change dependant on eg. How you drive?

Ah yes, Main Service in 24,900 with an Oil Change in 10,300 miles. Both show 730 days but I think that will change depending on driving data.
(Bit like the AdBlue range shows >1492 even when the tank is full. Only changes when getting low).

D4732F68-F731-445F-998F-804642641BBF.png

89089734-32E8-4594-B29A-2EB1F74A6019.png

Ah yes, Main Service in 24,900 with an Oil Change in 10,300 miles. Both show 730 days but I think that will change depending on driving data.
(Bit like the AdBlue range shows >1492 even when the tank is full. Only changes when getting low).

View attachment 85513

View attachment 85514
23.7mpg looks a bit low? Is yours a 199ps?
You have a heavy right foot and happy with that or...?

23.7mpg looks a bit low? Is yours a 199ps?
You have a heavy right foot and happy with that or...?
:) No just a few very short journeys this week. From memory I think I get around 40mpg on a longer run.

I’ll apologise in advance if this is a stupid question …
We purchased our 2019 T6 Ocean from Swansway Liverpool, however given the distance from our home (Glasgow) we have used the local Glasgow commercial centre for servicing.
Given this would we be contacted by Liverpool if there had been any specific ‘recalls / updates’ required. In fact does anyone know if there have been any ?
Thanks

We purchased our 2019 T6 Ocean from Swansway Liverpool, however given the distance from our home (Glasgow) we have used the local Glasgow commercial centre for servicing.
Given this would we be contacted by Liverpool if there had been any specific ‘recalls / updates’ required. In fact does anyone know if there have been any ?
Thanks
They rarely contact you, but you can call any VW dealer and they can look your vehicle up and advise if there are any outstanding service actions.

They rarely contact you, but you can call any VW dealer and they can look your vehicle up and advise if there are any outstanding service actions.
Thanks, good to know and will give them a call at Glasgow

Thanks
regarding updates:

There may be no active “updates“ showing on VW system for any given vehicle, it is assumed these will be applied during workshop visits.

updates are applied by the “factory“ when the vehicle is hooked up to the mothership by the dealer during other works when communication with your vehicle and the factory is required. for example when Warranty work is carried out to the power train, battery electrical systems etc.

I would ask your preferred dealer to carry out a health inspection next time your vehicle is in with them, this prompts them to carry out a full visual inspection (strangely this is not necessarily carried out routinely By the dealer during service or MOT! )

One such example: the crank case engine oil seals have been updated from the original (as the old ones weep oil)

I am not sure when the updated part was fitted in production but my 2018 reg has has both oil seals changed under warranty (Following a request from me, for the dealer to carry out a health check regarding an unrelated issue with the steering).

Following the health check inspection I was told one oil seal was weeping and would be changed, during those works , the other seal was inspected and changed subsequently.
I was told the oil seal has been updated with a revised part (presumably a Known issue).

My vehicle was handed back to me, all user data recorded in the MFD, such as Average miles per gallon, journey duration etc etc had been reset during the process, the gear box had been set back to factory setting and the engine had been set to Run in pressures. (Presumed due to significantly lower MPG, gear box characteristics and charging profile of the smart alternator for a period of several hundred miles, which later reverted back to normal / Pre work status, except for the charging profile which has remained altered).
due to this I requested the dealer advise if updates had been applied to my Van during these or previous works here is there answer:

“ If an update had of been carried out I am not sure we would have information regarding what the updates where. Any software update provided by Volkswagen are done so to prevent failure or prolong service life and not for performance enhancement if this helps. To confirm as far as I am aware software in the gearbox was not updated. “

you can request a dealer to apply All updates available to your vehicle, you will not be tols what specific updates have been applied to your vehicle.

if there are safety recalls required to your vehicle they will be available to view on the government website (google vehicle safety recall)

you can request a copy of the Warranty work (from a VW dealer) carried out to date on your vehicle (recorded on VW management system) which provides a print out of all dealer applied warranty work, but does not show software updates). This warranty record is separate from your vehicles Service record!

I hope that explains some what Regarding updates and how they are applied or not.

Gearbox update thread

"T6 Transporter/Mulitvan recall - proeblem with water ingress when using presure washer for vans fitted with Electric Side Sliding Door and "electric tailgate" ...

Am I to presume this is a fully operating opening/closing powered tailgate or the "soft close" version?

Have had my Cali from new since 2019 (2018 build). No problems washing it by hand.

This year have used a pressure washer on the vehicle for the first time - twice only as a rinse off.
The Cali has developed major problem with the door now not opening correctly, juddering scrawping noise, often needs 2-3 handle pulls and a severe battery drain (12.8 -> 11.0 in 24 hours) requiring constant connection to the hock-up.
However since removing the 40 amp door fuse - the battery drain has ceased and the most likely cause of the short is related to the door electric components.

Recall notice 58D7 - reported 04/07/2019 - ( EC Report-2019-027) - Alert A12/0979/19
identifies the problem have been found in European countries but not having occurred in the UK - may because Multis/Trans in UK have LHS doors whereas Eu vehicles will be the same as Cali, RHS doors.
Seems entirely consistent the problem on my California.
Has any one else either had a door problem similar to this or had their Cali "recalled or fixed" as a result of this notice?

pdf attached

Attachments

• Notification_A12_0979_19_en.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 9
Back