Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Camping Shower

Calikev said:
Good work :thumb what was the total cost :?:
Just added it up, cost £85.00. I had planned to make the shower hose but decided to buy the official one to keep the full factory look.

Looks great! I might have a go at this.

Have you got any measurements for the centre point of the hole? Did you just use a normal hole saw to cut it? Also, how did you splice into the microswitch wires? Did you just use those dodgy scotch-lock connectors or did you manage to find the VW parts?

Thanks.
Mark

markh said:
Looks great! I might have a go at this.

Have you got any measurements for the centre point of the hole? Did you just use a normal hole saw to cut it? Also, how did you splice into the microswitch wires? Did you just use those dodgy scotch-lock connectors or did you manage to find the VW parts?

Thanks.
Mark
I copied the measurements from a California in our local van center. I noticed that the edge of the new socket lines up with the edge of the bottom shelf in the cupboard ( 1st photo). I used a 64mm Starrett hole saw;
http://www.starrett.co.uk/shop/holesaws ... _hole_saw/
I'm not a great lover of Scotch-locks, when you unplug the connector to sink/ tap the you will notice a small flap that will open and expose the pins. I soldered the new wires on to the pins and closed the flap again. I didn't use any VW parts for the wiring.
IMG_1232_zpseffaf6ea.jpg
IMG_1267_zpsf8183f18.jpg
IMG_1266_zps8027e4e3.jpg

Thanks for the detailed info. Just got to muster up the courage to drill the panel now!

Do you need a special tool for the nutcerts? I've not come across them before apart from in wood, which I think work differently.

OK - thanks. I might stick to nuts, assuming I can my hand down the gap!

Mark

That's a really good job on retro fitting the shower, congratulations. I for one would do the same if I were buying a S/H California. Anything to keep things neat and tidy.
I would actually be interested if anyone has fitted a hot water system into the California so that you could have a hot shower output out of the back rather than cold.
I know it sounds like too much hassle for many, but for me, it would be the perfect final addition to the current California spec.

Well done with the installation. As the water connection from the pump is from a T-piece with the tap hose and the switches for the tap and the new shower are in parallel, what prevents water flowing from the shower outlet when the tap is operated?

There is a valve in the shower outlet which seals when the shower hose is removed.

Thank you for your swift and very helpful reply to my water flow question. Your posts on the shower installation are excellent. Regarding the blue LED, could you please advise me on the source of the LED and the bezel that you used. Also, what are the wiring connections for the LED into the shower outlet?

Martin

A very big thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Martin

Hello again,

I've completed the shower installation and all your suggestions have been great. Unfortunately, I have a sealing problem at the tee-piece joint. The main water pipe from the pump to the tap appears to have a blue plastic inner sleeve within the tubing and no matter how I try to clamp it to the brass tee-piece I still have leaks. Could you please advise me on how you connected your water pipes? Is there some form of heat shrinkage involved to sweat the plastic pipe onto the tee-piece?

Martin

I had a similar problem to start with. I tightened the clamps up really tight and the leakage was stopped all but the tiniest amount. I have ordered some pipe with a thicker wall but not yet fitted, the original pipe seems to have moulded its self to the tee and now doesn't leak. When the weather warms up I still plan to change the pipe.
This is the pipe I plan to fit Motorhome accessories in the UK store.
I did manage to find some of the original pipe but couldn't buy it in a small enough amount.

Great job Raggedroy, thanks for all the info and how to. Top man

The install is pretty easy.
The outlet is from;
http://www.laleisure.co.uk/motorhome-re ... shower-box
The shower head is from;
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carava ... ction.aspx

The inside diameter of the water hose is 10mm. I installed a 10mm tee in the existing water pipe as it exits the water tank, one leg goes to the sink and the other leg goes to the new outlet. I have run a 2core 0.75mm flat flex from the sink micro switch connector to the new shower outlet switch and connected them in parallel so if either switch is operated the pump will run. I have taken the measurements for the hole from a factory fitted outlet in our local van center. The main hole is 64mm and the fixings are M5. I installed M5 nutcerts to save fiddling about with nuts on the rear of the fixings. The install took 2-3 hours. I plan to add a blue LED to indicate the pump is running to make it identical to the factory fitted option.
Whereabouts is the sink micro switch connector located please?

Went with complete OE kit in the end, does anyone know where the water pipe Y connects from the factory? My local dealer who supplied the kit didn't.20150903_061745.jpg

Just sitting in campsite in Brittany and 3 calis pulled in yesterday independently and made a beeline for our " corner" next door, a new Swiss Cali have the shower point fitted. It's quite neat I guess but still a cold shower.

How much was the kit?

Just added it up, cost £85.00. I had planned to make the shower hose but decided to buy the official one to keep the full factory look.
Have you managed to get the hose and head to fit in the black polystyrene holder?

Just sitting in campsite in Brittany and 3 calis pulled in yesterday independently and made a beeline for our " corner" next door, a new Swiss Cali have the shower point fitted. It's quite neat I guess but still a cold shower.

How much was the kit?
£104 for the complete kit including screw/clips etc, just added up the cost of clips, screws, nuts, hose and Y piece and that comes to £25.
Any chance your new Swiss neighbours would let you have a look at the water pipe route and how the stowage of the hose/head unit works, that's assuming you wouldn't mind asking o_O?

They're still asleep and weren't particularly engaging yesterday!

They're still asleep and weren't particularly engaging yesterday!
Hahaha, No worries, thanks for the reply all the same, I'm sure someone on here will come up with the answer :thumb