Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Conversions Do not Make a Summer !

R

Richard Brown

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post, having been on this site for a few weeks. Its difficult to say anything that has not been said before. So im sure my few words will have been echoed by a number of people. :)

I would like to think I have done my research in terms of what I am looking for in terms of vehicle !. Going to the NEC Motorhome show was a interesting eye opener.... loads of VW conversions and other Manufacturers.

My note then is not to dismiss the other suppliers in helping me make my mind up but more a thought that I had when comparing the principles behind those who carry out conversions and the manufacturers that make the vehicles themselves.

My conclusion is a simple one and I think VW probably stand out more than most. I now know why VW vans stand out above all other conversions ... its simply because they are made from the inside out and therefore are a perfect solution, whilst the others are bolted on top and therefore are all the weaker for it.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Good point.

Yes I have to agree. If you look at the trim and how well everything just fits there is a significant difference.

Also the lack of carpet on walls anywhere is an indication that more tooling / moulding / refining has gone on. Even in the Westfalia club joker I noticed a bit of felty looking stuff on some of the walls. Didn’t feel oem quality.

It does make you wonder if / how much VW consulted vehicle ergonomic experts when designing the T5/T6 Cali, front a camping perspective. I bet they did.

Hello and welcome. A nice first post, a good observation.

Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post, having been on this site for a few weeks. Its difficult to say anything that has not been said before. So im sure my few words will have been echoed by a number of people. :)

I would like to think I have done my research in terms of what I am looking for in terms of vehicle !. Going to the NEC Motorhome show was a interesting eye opener.... loads of VW conversions and other Manufacturers.

My note then is not to dismiss the other suppliers in helping me make my mind up but more a thought that I had when comparing the principles behind those who carry out conversions and the manufacturers that make the vehicles themselves.

My conclusion is a simple one and I think VW probably stand out more than most. I now know why VW vans stand out above all other conversions ... its simply because they are made from the inside out and therefore are a perfect solution, whilst the others are bolted on top and therefore are all the weaker for it.
Hi I’m a retired engineer and all the reasons you state are exactly what makes the Cali stand out .
Also don’t forget all the internal cupboards etc are aluminium and not mdf.
Stronger and lighter.
It’s a no brainier really. We’ve owned ours for 2 years and love it!
Good luck with yours.

A friend of mine bought a conversion from here, seems ok to look at externally, but this is the definition of madness:

https://www.vw-t.co.uk/camper-vans/...k-miles-hugh-spec-ready-early-november-41995/

Vs a Coast on here for the same money:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classi...-2017/algarve-portugal/vw-t6-california-ocean

Or an older T5.1 which is uber spec compared to that conversion and 4k cheaper:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classi...seat/formby-merseyside/vw-t5-california-beach

In my mind, and I'm possibly being very harsh here, but you'd need to be a complete idiot to buy a conversion at these prices.

You've chosen some unfair comparisons there - the coast is lefthand drive and based in portugal and the second one is 3x the age, 3x the milage and has no kitchen.

Having said that I agree with the sentiment, expensive conversions make californias seem reasonable in comparison.

Ah true, i pasted the beach in instead of the one below in the add.

But you get my point.
Hi again
I have just had a thought and the video called “VW California build” on YouTube is well worth watching.
It should help you make your mind up!

We bought ours 6 years ago yesterday.
We get enjoyment from the quality and brilliant design every time we use it.
We're also still learning.

I’ve had other conversions and they all had shortcomings, spec, build quality etc.
I wasted a tidy sum before buying a Cali, once you spec up a competitor the prices converge but you gain on resale with a Cali, it’s not perfect but it’s better than anything out there.

Back