Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Hi Max, i have put my views on this thread regarding VW. I bought a VW Beach just before all this all broke and i am not too happy about being possibly misled. I have taken some stick for my stance on this open forum but as long as members or guests do not get too personal my view is that all is fair in love and War. I don't mind your views, just as i dont not mind the views of those not seeing it the same way.
Regarding those at the top of the VW pile i have little sympathy for whats coming their way

It's a given that all affected vehicle owners will be compensated financially, class actions will see to this. Sadly it won't bring VW down either financially or off their conceited little perches but it will hurt them where they feel it most, in their greedy, deep pockets.

Really?? Rather more unbelievable why individual customers of a h-u-g-e, incredibly rich (bit less now), powerful multinational company will defend the mighty VW despite being ripped off as if they are some sort of god to be worshipped and given sympathy??!

I guess you'll be at the back of the queue when successful precedents are set and every affected VW owner is automatically given the option of £XXXX as a nice fat cheque in the post?
Max, No problem having a rant but I'm not sure anyone was defending VW or what some people have done within that company. Unfortunately a lot of innocent employees are going to get hurt first and that is a shame. As for knocking them off their perches, well that is probably no bad thing, it happens more often than not to organisations that rise to the top. It's called, complacency and as they employ humans some of them behave either stupidly or greedily or both. I think it's a mistake to either worship them or condemn them for everything.
On the plus side I am looking to buy and want a good after sales service. Yes I will still buy IF it is the best product. Hopefully they (The company) will be less complacent towards customers.
Anyway like I said, nowt wrong with a rant :)

Regarding those at the top of the VW pile i have little sympathy for whats coming their way

I doubt anyone at the top will have any serious pain from this, I'm sure they'll manage to find a mid level scapegoat to take the blame.

Just in at VW van centre Edinburgh for routine stuff. They are usually pretty clued up and said all the emissions drama only effects the caddy model rather than T5 as the emissions ban dings etc are different for commercial vehicles.... Sounds plausible to me. Here's hoping!

"Just in at VW van centre Edinburgh for routine stuff. They are usually pretty clued up and said all the emissions drama only effects the caddy model rather than T5 as the emissions ban dings etc are different for commercial vehicles.... Sounds plausible to me. Here's hoping!"

now that would be nice.

diesel engines 42% to 50% efficient.Petrol engine28% efficient.Electric cars very high CO2 to make only 20% efficient when charged from main the other 80% is lost from the power station, 92% of the worlds engine trains ships tractors cars machinery etc run on diesel power only for diesel engines CO2 levels would be god knows where So do not knock them.we cannot live with out them!

diesel engines 42% to 50% efficient.Petrol engine28% efficient.Electric cars very high CO2 to make only 20% efficient when charged from main the other 80% is lost from the power station, 92% of the worlds engine trains ships tractors cars machinery etc run on diesel power only for diesel engines CO2 levels would be god knows where So do not knock them.we cannot live with out them!
True. But because they are essential they attract the taxman.
About time that road taxes were abolished and all the tax was collected from the fuel used.
Legislation takes care of the emissions. ( usually)
Simples.

Latest from BBC.
Volksswagen is suspending the sale of 4,000 vehicles in the UK in the wake of the emissions scandal.

The company said the vehicles may be equipped with the device that cheated emissions tests in the United States.

The move will involve vehicles across the VW group including the VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT brands.

VW said it was a temporary measure. It intended to return the vehicles for sale once a fix is identified for the cars.

The cars involved represent 3% of its stock in the UK and VW will continue to sell new vehicles, with the latest, cleanest engine technology.

Also if it's just a remap required why take 4000 vehicles off the shelves?

Also if it's just a remap required why take 4000 vehicles off the shelves?
Because they haven't written the remap yet.

They have to write the revised software, test it, present it to the authorities for testing and then roll it out. I am guessing that the 4000 are vehicles that the know have the defect and they will not let out of the door until the defect is fixed, and that is blocked by the fixing process.

It's not a given at all. Quantify your losses?
People may argue that they've used more fuel because of this? How much?
Granny driving around in 1st gear VS sales manager on motorway.
Everyone knows real world fuel economy is driver dependent and is nothing like the efficiency tests. That's always been the case and not just because VW were naughty and got caught.
Is everyone now going to hop on the band wagon and sue manufacturers because their vehicle didn't live up to the combined cycle on every journey?

It's a sad and bizarre stance and a symptom of our crazy blame and sue world.

I understand your last sentence...but it's quit simple; when my Cali is adjusted during a possible software update and it comes out with less performance (both power and consumption) the Cali is not upto specs anymore of the product I bought. That should be compensated in my opinion, I was not informed about or asked for cheating software when I bought the Cali. I have the 140 ps config, and payed extra for that power according the spec list. A 114 PS config is a couple of thousand cheaper..
That's the quantifiable part of a claim. Depreciation of value is another issue which is tougher to prove.
I am not in it to bring the VW company down..nor will anyone else I guess because of the enormous impact both financial as social in Europe

In the mean time enjoying the Cali...

:oops:

Goodness, I would hate anyone to think that I am Cavalier with my Cali ... :oops:

My concern here is the value of or California's, (as I'm sure like me not many people are looking to sell or trade at the moment) but one of the big factors in buying a Cali, over other campers was the resale value and lack of depreciation?
Not to mention if it turns out the T5.1 GP's turn out to have the EA189 engine then I'm sure it'll be an angle for higher tax, I can hear the buyer/sales man now, 'oh it's just unfortunate that it's an EA189, it just doesn't hold it's value the same?' not to mention as time goes by emissions levels get stricter and stricter, is it just me who thinks we will get hit in the pocket for this for years to come? £1000 pounds gets VW of the hook as we would be compensated.
My Cali is my pride and joy, I have no intention of 'trading for a younger model' I just want express a concern.

Have we all overnight lost a large % off the value of our product, for those with the EA189? (van, car, camper)

I understand your last sentence...but it's quit simple; when my Cali is adjusted during a possible software update and it comes out with less performance (both power and consumption) the Cali is not upto specs anymore of the product I bought. That should be compensated in my opinion, I was not informed about or asked for cheating software when I bought the Cali. I have the 140 ps config, and payed extra for that power according the spec list. A 114 PS config is a couple of thousand cheaper..
That's the quantifiable part of a claim. Depreciation of value is another issue which is tougher to prove.
I am not in it to bring the VW company down..nor will anyone else I guess because of the enormous impact both financial as social in Europe

In the mean time enjoying the Cali...
It's still all speculation though.

Manufacturers use generic engines across a wide range of vehicles. The variation is in the ECU and this controls power output and can be changed to suit the application.

So in your example above the ECU is the bit that is different and controls the difference between 114ps, 140ps and so on. It's highly likely that there is more in reserve and that could be increased to well over 200ps. This is where tuners and remapping companies make their money. VW will probably be working on various reconfigurations to keep the vehicle as close to the original spec as possible. Various things could be done to handle the emissions. All at NO COST to the owner.

Regardless - it has still not been confimed that the California is affected. Some might have the EA189 unit - what about the ECU in them?

Until that has been confirmed all of this talk of compensation and the like is just hot air and I stand by my previous comment. Bonkers, crazy bonkers.

Lets be sensible about this whole scenario.
We all know that the more fuel you use the more emissions there are. Correct?

Everyone I have spoken to agrees that in real life fuel consumption NEVER meets the figures published by the manufacturers of ANY vehicle. Correct?

Therefore it follows that the Emission figures in REAL LIFE motoring are greater than those quoted in the Standardised Emission Tests. Correct?

This fact is accepted by the authorities, whether right or wrong, otherwise they would insist on Real Life rather than Standardised Emission tests. Correct?

These are the European Emission Standards. https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/euro-emissions-standards.html

All VW have admitted so far that there are vehicles in Europe fitted with the Software identified in the USA. That software was developed to meet the Much More Stringent Californian Emission requirements which are 3 or 4 times more stringent than the European 5 requirements.
They have NOT stated, yet, that the Defeat Software is activated when the vehicle is tested for the EU 5 standard or the MOT, only that some vehicles have the software.

No one, except for the Authorities and VW know what the impact is or will be in the future.

However, one thing I am convinced of is that owners would not end up penalised in any way or form, because that would put the Authorities, Government and/or EU, in a very poor light and be the end of VW.

WelshGas.....

I agree completely.

As for all the idiots here expressing that they will get compensation....HOT AIR.

And why would they even think they were due it ?....

I can't see how this business can affect the Cali residuals in the longer term, there really isn't anything to compete with it at the moment and although some people may have cancelled their orders there will still be plenty in the queue waiting to buy.

The nearest competitor (apart from the Marco Polo which is unavailable at present, and other VW based conversions) is the Transit based Ford Terrier. Assuming everyone switched to the Ford there would be a massive shortage as none of the converters are able to build on such a large scale as VW.

Maybe prices have softened at the moment but come next spring good used Calis will be like rocking horse poo and the prices will firm up.

My main worry is that whatever mod VW come up with may affect performance but it will still be more powerful than the equivalent Transits (125 & 155 bhp).

The Cali is NOT an investment...it's a rotting box of metal....the VW salesman wants you to think it's an investment....!!!!

Totally agree with Welshgas, and some calming sense in last few posts.

Back