Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Hi Boris, i was going to put a further update on this link regarding this issue.
I bought my ex demo Cali 3 weeks ago just before this all broke. I am not happy about what has been revealed. Emissions were low on my wants , fuel consumption was, but the reason I really bought this vehicle was that it was always what I wanted and backed by VW, in my eyes a quality manufacturer.
I had also been a member of this Forum for many months and read all the brilliant knowledge base of those that contribute and their observations, mostly positive.
If my engine is one of those involved I will be taking action against VW. I do not like being misled and i do care about the residual value of my vehicle when it comes to selling it.
Regarding the purchase of my vehicle If nothing else offences may have been committed against the Sale of Goods Act, one of the main mantra's of the Act being that Goods bought were as described. If you look at the VW Cali Brouchure for the vehicle re emissions and fuel consumption it does blow its own trumpet somewhat, which is all fine and dandy if you do not get found out.
i spoke this week to VW Customer Services who were awaiting updates from VW Germany. They acknowledged that if Vehicles in the UK are involved it may well affect residual values. They did not know what actions VW may take if this is the case. They took my details and registration number and date when i bought my vehicle
I also spoke to the Dealership where I bought my Van from and they felt that no Californias were involved and on the whole it would not effect residual sales.
So it really wait and see for me, i am aware has already been pointed out to me that this may be a long road and may not end as i would like. I hope my vehicle is not involved but as i have said lets wait and see.
Hi Maxi,
As you say, all that any of us can do is to wait and see. As it could be a long time before we know what is actually what, I intend to get on and enjoy our Cali and not worry about it too much.

Last edited:
I asked VW Customer Care for further information as I have a T6 on order and received this today ...

"In regards to the emission concerns that have recently been brought to our attention, I am afraid that I am unable to answer your questions at the time as we are still investigating the matter further. I can however inform you that the engine in your California will be EU6 specification and I feel that this will not be effected, but I will confirm this as and when I have official conformation. Please see below the official stance at this present moment...

Volkswagen is working at full speed to clarify irregularities concerning particular software used in Diesel engines.

Securing the trust of our customers and that of the public is and will remain of paramount importance to us.This process will take time - time for internal clarification, time for an analysis of the circumstances, and time to initiate technical measures.

Please understand that we are currently not able to specify which models (including details regarding years of construction) are affected.

All affected vehicles are absolutely safe and roadworthy. The matter at hand applies exclusively to the emitted pollutants. We will resolve this.

We will provide you with further information as soon as possible
."

I appreciate that this isn't much information... but it will perhaps reassure those that have a new Cali on order?
I haven't cancelled my order. I've got too many good times planned !!

Spare a thought for any car manufacturers who haven't been cheating and have watched VW stealing all their sales because of supposed greener credentials.

Spare a thought for any car manufacturers who haven't been cheating and have watched VW stealing all their sales because of supposed greener credentials.
I don't think it will be long before others join VW in this scandal.

Does anyone actually know the true bph of their vehicle. Or for that matter the mpg.
VW will plug in, alter the software and I will be none the wiser.
It would be good to have a before and after measurement.

My thoughts too, but there must be some who are innocent (because they probably never thought of it :D). They could legitimately bring a case against VW for lost sales.

We used to cheat the emission tests all the time when I worked for British Leyland.

At a crucial moment the engines would just stop running.

No hi-tec wizardry, they just broke down :(

I've read somewhere that when the software...... The Software (it's turning famouse) detects a test in in place it limits the engine power.

Anyway I think we should wait for VW official information to find out what's actually happening and what they will do to fix the issue (if apply)

We used to cheat the emission tests all the time when I worked for British Leyland.

At a crucial moment the engines would just stop running.

No hi-tec wizardry, they just broke down :(
Yup my dad was regaling me of his days at Dunlop as an apprentice and doing "smoke tests" on diesels trucks using white card and revving an engine to visually assess the smoke . In the 60s and 70s it was normal to turn the fuel down before the test so the vehicle would have hardly any power but this meant less smoke.

It's seems cheating emissions is not new, it's just more fancy now. I also wonder how many people have modified ECUs in their cars that they change back temporarily for an MOT?

[QUOTE="It's seems cheating emissions is not new, it's just more fancy now. I also wonder how many people have modified ECUs in their cars that they change back temporarily for an MOT?[/QUOTE]

Too True, Lights changed to the correct wattage, Re-maps changed to original, wheels and tyres changed and even suspension raised to get through the MOT, which is a one point test to ensure that at that point in time the vehicle is legal to be on the road. Once the owner has that pass in his hand everything is changed back.

Does anyone actually know the true bph of their vehicle. Or for that matter the mpg.
VW will plug in, alter the software and I will be none the wiser.
It would be good to have a before and after measurement.

I'm confident the original bhp claim of VW will be close. I have dyno graphs of my unit and it's pretty close to what the brochure claims.
Reminds me of an old joke.
Where is the best place to measure bhp output? At the crank? At the wheels? Or at the brochure?

It'll be intersting to so what the "new" map will be like by comparison.

Pod. (Quite bored of this thread now).

This topic is giving the roof corrosion thread a run for its money! Over 11,000 views in less than ten days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but with roof corrosion there was substance in the form of blistering paintwork.

With this thread there is just speculation.

And hysteria (mass).

I was mulling this over on my way to work this morning. It's ironic really. The whole essence of the VW camper is a spirit of freedom, carefree attitude, fun etc in a vehicle bought for a lifestyle and lifetime.

Those here panicing because they can see pound signs seems to be at odds with all of the above.
It's only the attitude of those panicing that may drive down prices.

I'm at work. Anyone who isn't at work, get off the internet and get out in that fab van and enjoy the sunshine!

Pod (bored).

Yes, but with roof corrosion there was substance in the form of blistering paintwork.

If it has taken them a couple of years to work through the roof repair for a few hundred California, imagine how long it is going to take for 11 million vehicles to be reworked.

I presume new emissions systems will need to be designed, validated, and then manufactured in vast quantities.... This is not going to be a quick fix....

It's seems cheating emissions is not new, it's just more fancy now. I also wonder how many people have modified ECUs in their cars that they change back temporarily for an MOT?

Some of our friends across the road have made a good point about how it affects recalls for people who have had dpf deletes/egr removals and remaps. If Volkswagen recall your vehicle for a fix and you've done a dpf removal. Could they ask for it to be re-installed before they make any necessary changes...??? Same with a remap, install original before any updates occur.
And at whose expense? The recall could be a legal obligation. How accurate are mappers reading and does this software kick in on a mappers rolling road when their tuning...???

I kept banging the drum over there when a vocal mapper insisted there were no issues removing dpfs even though its now technically an MOT failure. I asked if he would reimbursed anyone who maybe affected by having a dpf delete and remap. Instead he decided to wash over it and go on a personal rant.

Its a very interesting scanrio:eek:

It'll be how it will be. The obvious way to do it would be when they go in for a scheduled service. Job done.
Now, time for some fun!

If it has taken them a couple of years to work through the roof repair for a few hundred California, imagine how long it is going to take for 11 million vehicles to be reworked.

I presume new emissions systems will need to be designed, validated, and then manufactured in vast quantities.... This is not going to be a quick fix....

I don't think so,

It's going to be 5 minutes in the dealers having the vehicle ECU plugged in and remapped.

according to Sky news, 80,000 commercial vehicles are involved and anyone that is affected will receive a letter within next few weeks.

Losing the will to live with this post.

John:mute:mute:mute:mute

I have just re-discovered the will to live.

I woke up in a very quiet place, only noise was birdsong and wind through the trees. I had a nice cup of tea, folded the bed away, made myself look a little less gruesome and drove home in a gorgeous vehicle on a gorgeous day.

Que sera, what will be will be, until then, get out and enjoy life.

I have just re-discovered the will to live.

I woke up in a very quiet place, only noise was birdsong and wind through the trees. I had a nice cup of tea, folded the bed away, made myself look a little less gruesome and drove home in a gorgeous vehicle on a gorgeous day.

Que sera, what will be will be, until then, get out and enjoy life.

Agree with you the cali is a wonderful vehicle and i love it.

John

Back