Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Just read Euro6/engines are not affected.

Looks like affected engines are 1.6 TDI (from 75 to 105 BHP) and 2.0 TDI (from 84 to 180 BHP) sold from 2009 to september 2015.

According to the news paper VW will fix them to lower the emissions with no lose of power (there are not yet details about the fix)

I'm in Switzerland at the moment & they are saying on the news here that it does inc 3 million plus vehicles (vans inc) that were sold in Europe, the Swiss as usual have already placed an immediate countrywide ban on the sale of these vehicles !

I know nobody really wants to think that the vans are involved in the emissions scandle, but I have just read that ALL 1.6 and 2.0 Diesel engines in both cars and vans are involved.
Has anyone else heard and different?

No. I cannot see why they wouldn't be involved.

+ moderators , is it not possible to just go for ONE tread on this , if it goes on like this , every day a new tread on the same thing ....?
It is getting pretty stupid that way.
Why do people want to start a new tread as there is already one on the same issue.
Would be nice to place it all in one topic so as a possible negative talk on our beloved verhicle
Tkx !

Last edited:
Hi Wim, I was thinking the same actually, we will get them all merged into one thread and sticky it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to the news paper VW will fix them to lower the emissions with no lose of power (there are not yet details about the fix)
Can't see how they can do that without serious modifications, which may subsequently have repercussions on reliability. We'll have to wait and see what their proposals are.

The Cali has the ea189 engine (T5.1). The T6 will at first in be ea189 in Euro 5 spec and the ea288 in Euro 6 spec (add blue engine). That's what my research comes up with.

I understand T6 panel vans are initially being supplied with Euro 5 engines, but was told the Cali would have the Euro 6 engine as these are being introduced later. An issue to watch particularly if you live in London.

Alan

The whole euro6 engine thing is putting me off changing my transporter at the moment, the emissions scandal doesn't bother me that much.
It seems to me that that euro6 engines that will be in the T6 initially are stopgap engines - they're bolting on the adblue tanks to get them through the regs with a proper euro6 engine without the adblue to follow at some point.
The transporter only gets the 102ps euro6 at the moment with the other euro6 adblue engines to follow next year, all the other engine options are euro5.
So it leaves me wondering what to do and thinking I might just leave it for a couple of years and give things time to settle down. I would hate to buy the "wrong" engine and have problems at resale time in 3-4 years.
Why the cali gets all the euro6 engines now but the transporter has to wait till next year beats me?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I think the reality is that every manufacturer has some way of beating the emissions.

I was talking to an engineer friend of mine who works at JLR, he told me that when the emissions targets were originally discussed, VW were pretty much the loudest voice in saying they were unachievable and were quite vocal about it. Of course the laws still passed and everything went quiet.

A friend of his pointed out that many cars have a power blip between 1800 and 2100 rpm and this is probably a means to get the emissions lower for the same reasons. The reality is they are all going to be dirtier at the other rpm ranges. This to me means they are all at it one way or another. VW are just the first to get caught.

can someone explain to me why this is an issue if you have a 3+ year old VW which passes its MOT and has one of those bits of paper that means nothing to me except the word pass...
so its legal...???? or meets whatever the MOT has laid down...
or am I just naïve cos I am not really bothered personally by all this? apart from once again the world of corporate business has done something wrong and deceitful ...no change there then?

I
can someone explain to me why this is an issue if you have a 3+ year old VW which passes its MOT and has one of those bits of paper that means nothing to me except the word pass...
so its legal...???? or meets whatever the MOT has laid down...
or am I just naïve cos I am not really bothered personally by all this? apart from once again the world of corporate business has done something wrong and deceitful ...no change there then?

I recently purchased an ex Demo Beach, it had a lot of options fitted then I added a few more. It has cost me a lot of money but it was my dream retirement purchase. I believed that the vehicle was underpinned with the best Diesal Engine out their and more importantly belief in the VW brand.
I am absolutely stunned about the emissions scandle that has now come to light. This is Fraud, it can be dressed up as much as anyone wants to view it but I feel completely let down and looking at pursuing VW for a complete refund and anything else i can get out of them. They deserve everything that is going to come their way.
I appreciate there are many of you on this Forum who have owned Californias for a number of years and love this vehicle as I thought I would, but I do not like being lied to in whatever guise. Saying sorry is not enough!!

I'm waiting to see whether it effects Europe before I decide if I'm unhappy or not. The American limits are much much lower than the EU ones hence the software tweak.

Will also add whilst in the mood that the vw CEO walked away from this mess with a $ 24 million pension fund, slightly more than most of us get!!!

Hi Matt, appreciate what you are saying. But whatever comes out of this the the VW 2L Diesel engine is tarnished for a long time as is the VW brand

Well they definitely won't be getting the VW California in California now :oops:

Calm down. The software is in European vehicles, but has it been used?
I don't know.

During MOT's vehicles have to meet the published emission levels for that vehicle.
The Required EU levels for Euro 5 engines are significantly higher than the Californian (USA) requirements. We know the software was used in the USA, but was it used in the EU?

So, hand on heart, you purchased your Beach because of the Laboratory Emissions and Fuel Consumption Data, knowing full well that they were Laboratory and not Real World Data. Your purchase had absolutely nothing to do with the good discount you got on your fully loaded Beach?

I hope you have deep pockets and a good legal team because I think you may need it.

I feel really daft now for not asking my dealer about NOx levels on the Cali, i was preoccupied with getting free Monster mats. :sorry

Hi all again, i knew i would get some stick for putting how i feel. I maintain that regrdless of how much i paid for the vehicle AND any discount i got on my Beach ( 3.5 %) as it happens, and even f it was 50% it should have no bearing on the fact that i was misled about the goods i was purchasing. Its fairly straightforward it seems to me if my vehicle is not what was advertised
In many ways it would be easier just to get on with what i have got but i do not like being lied to. You are probably right Welsh Gas that it may cost me in the long run but i can not just let it pass me by

Hi all again, i knew i would get some stick for putting how i feel. I maintain that regrdless of how much i paid for the vehicle AND any discount i got on my Beach ( 3.5 %) as it happens, and even f it was 50% it should have no bearing on the fact that i was misled about the goods i was purchasing. Its fairly straightforward it seems to me if my vehicle is not what was advertised
In many ways it would be easier just to get on with what i have got but i do not like being lied to. You are probably right Welsh Gas that it may cost me in the long run but i can not just let it pass me by

how do you know that you were misled?

Back