Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waiting for our New CALI :-)

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
After ordering our new Cali the wait begins.

What are all the New Cali waiters doing in the meantime.

I have been checking out

Additional Security
eg. Sparesafe for the spare wheel.
Steering Wheel lock as a deterrent.
Pir lights
Spare waterproof door opening key to wear.

Kitchen items
Whistling Kettles
Knife sets, Chopping Boards

Insurance Quotes
Comfort Insurance

Additional Protection
Waterproof Seat Covers
Cali Topper
Mattress cover
Carpets & Mats
Boot Liners

European Travel needs
Which spare Bulb set do I need for 15plate standard lights.
Any electrical adapters.
Spare fuses
Headlight deflectors
Triangle, Vests, etc

Safety Equipment
Fire Extinguisher CO2
Carbon Monoxide alarm
I believe a small first aid kit is included?
Considering upgrading reversing lights to LED bulbs which are much brighter.

Travelling
Maps
Apps
Websites
Club memberships and cards eg. ASCI, C&CC
All the Aires
Britstops
Bord Atlas for Germany

have also been reading:-
various online blogs with the Cali.
the 45 page workshop manual to see how things are put together.
and of course this forum which has been invaluable.

What are others doing while waiting for delivery? :D

Been told i have to finish the house first! :eek:

Depends what you have ordered but if it's a Beach forget Comfort, try LV.

It will be California SE 180 DSG 4 motion.

I am favouring Comfort at the moment after having a chat with them.

We are currently having our garage modified to fit the Cali.
Also deciding on a simple arrangement for bedding rather than sleeping bags.

Not buying a flat hose for the moment as we could easily top up the tank with a piece of plastic pipe that will fit various bottles.

I'm be interested to hear how you get on modifying your garage. Our garage door is too low but I assumed it would be too much bother to do anything about it. Is this a major job ?

We have two garages, one is too low but wide and the other too narrow but high.

The easiest fix for us is the too narrow one.

We are changing the garage door from a tilt opener to a Hormann sectional garage door.

Having a sectional door we can get rid of the timber framing and fix the door directly onto the brickwork saving us not only the timber frame width on both sides but the arms on the tilt door which stick out.

It will still be tight for us even with the wing mirrors tilted up.

Your scenario is height I would ring a couple of reputable fitters and have them come down look at your situation and give a quote.
Watch out for people like Anglian who are an absolute rip off and will suck their teeth and it will cost a fortune. Again I recommend at least 2 or three quotes.

All the best

Brilliant! I'm going to use that list. Let me know if you think of anything else. After choosing options on our new Cali my brain power is severely depleted.

But, worth bearing in mind that if you're relatively new to 'campervaning' it might be worth seeing how you go. Just thinking of Barry's and Grannyjen's recent posts about loads of unwanted stuff taking up room. I also have memories of chucking stuff out of our camper that we lived in for 6 months on our round Oz trip. It's surprising how much stuff you actually NEED compared to stuff you just get use to having around!

Maybe we should rename this thread the waiting room. :oops:

Perhaps I should paper the garage while we are expecting :crazy

Will post if we think we have missed anything Acer. Been doing allsorts of camping over the years so will be keeping junk to a minimum not just to avoid clutter but also to keep the load light.

Will slowly put together stuff that can remain in the Cali or in a couple of boxes so we can avoid all that packing and unpacking, so we can get away at the drop of the hat.

Cali should come with a warning triangle, at least they used to, as well as a first aid kit.
Both located at back of left under cooker cupboard.

How about a fire extinguisher ?

I will have a look for the Triangle and First aid kit before I buy anything.

Yes the extinguisher is on my list above.

I have been trying to decide on whether to get CO2 which does not make a mess if used.

Powder makes a hell of a mess apparently but is rated for gas.

Foam looks to be the best option and easier to clean up if used.

Not sure if Foam is rated for gas though will have to get googling.

Yes, warning triangle and first aid kit listed as standard. Foam for the kids.
You seem to be a couple of weeks ahead of me. You're going to save me heaps of thinking if you keep posting. Keep it up :clap

Got all that ready for fitting. 8 Sleeps to go. Train ticket booked to get from Cardiff to Hereford for Monday 1st December.

Ewan said:
I'm be interested to hear how you get on modifying your garage. Our garage door is too low but I assumed it would be too much bother to do anything about it. Is this a major job ?

Garage now completed with Higher and Wider door took about 3.5hours.

With mirrors folded I have just over 5cms (2 inches ) clear each side.

3 sleeps to go. :bananadance

Looks like you can't sleep! :upsidedown

too true.2 sleeps to go. :smile

campandfly said:
Ewan said:

Garage now completed with Higher and Wider door took about 3.5hours.

With mirrors folded I have just over 5cms (2 inches ) clear each side.

We get ours in a couple of weeks,have done a dummy run to try in the garage,with mirrors folded in 10mm clear each side and 50mm in length ! Scares we just thinking about it.

Hi Jaydub

Know how you feel, being able to squeeze the Cali in the garage was a deal breaker for us.

I am lucky as the inside of the garage is plenty big enough it was just the door way that was too small.

To drive in or out of the garage I will just keep as tight as I can on the drivers side and the other side looks after itself. That is assuming I keep it straight.

Going to do some painting this morning and tidying up ready for March.

Need to get a hook up cable now. Not sure which one to get as it appears some of the cheaper ones have an inner core that is too small and cause problems. The Maypole 25m brand looks like it could be the way to go. Would anyone like to recommend a good cable that has served you well.

Thanks

2" each side ? How will you get out once you have driven in ? I would stick some polystyrene on the walls to protect the edge of your doors and hang a piece of string from the ceiling with a soft weight so it taps the windscreen when you are in the exact position. Well done. :D

I think that everyone on this forum must be a better driver than me.

2" clearance, 10mm clearance! If I didn't have a least a foot I know that I would eventually give my van some rustic "go faster" stripes! :lol:

campandfly said:
Hi Jaydub

Know how you feel, being able to squeeze the Cali in the garage was a deal breaker for us.

I am lucky as the inside of the garage is plenty big enough it was just the door way that was too small.

To drive in or out of the garage I will just keep as tight as I can on the drivers side and the other side looks after itself. That is assuming I keep it straight.

Going to do some painting this morning and tidying up ready for March.

Need to get a hook up cable now. Not sure which one to get as it appears some of the cheaper ones have an inner core that is too small and cause problems. The Maypole 25m brand looks like it could be the way to go. Would anyone like to recommend a good cable that has served you well.

Thanks
It's a double garage with two single floors so once in its fine, it's just getting in is zero tolerance.i reckon about £3000 to change to one large double door which would solve the problem but will have to wait as we have to pay for our Cali first.

Same here we have a double sized inner garage and more than enough length its just squeezing through the door that was the challenge.

My garage is full of junk :laugh2

Back