Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty after 3yr manufacturers finishes ?

Hi everyone

Total 'noob' question - what is an EGR please? What do the letters stand for and what is the fault with it?

thanks

Hi everyone

Total 'noob' question - what is an EGR please? What do the letters stand for and what is the fault with it?

thanks

No, not a 'noob' question at all. We should all guard against dropping into jargon too often.

The EGR valve is the Exhaust Gas Regulator valve which is fitted to the Euro 5 engine.
This diverts the exhaust gasses back through the engine to reduce the problematic emissions of a diesel engine. The exhaust then passes through DPF Diesel Particulate Filter to further filter the nasty stuff in the exhaust.

The EGR valve and the DPF can become clogged on lots of short local runs. The van needs a decent steady run every so often to get hot enough to clear out any residual muck that can build up.

Alan

Ah brilliant thanks AlanC.

I have heard of problems on many diesel vans and cars about diesel particulate filters clogging up with crud if the vehicle is used on only short runs. Therefore I'd say it probably isn't a problem that is specific to the California. I'm relieved - I'm new to owning a Cali and get a bit nervous when I hear of design faults and so on with the vehicle.

Just out of interest, how often would you say one should take the van for a good run to stop this happening - and for how long should the run be, minimum? I've heard that 30-40 mins on the motorway generally does the trick for car DPF problems, would you say similar for the van?

thanks

Jerome

Hi Jerome,

30-40 mins is about right at a steady speed apparently. I don't know if there is an advised timescale for the runs. We go to London and the West Midlands regularly for family visits and so haven't had a problem so far.

Our van is 5 years old, which we have owned for the last 18 months.

Alan

Back