Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty cover extended cover

Vincent Mercer

Vincent Mercer

VIP Member
Hi, I have the extended warrant cover on my '17 vehicle. It needs the 40k DSG service and a brake fluid change. Does any one know if these are covered under the normal servicing under the warranty scheme? Either as part of an interval or full service?
Thanks!

Hi, I have the extended warrant cover on my '17 vehicle. It needs the 40k DSG service and a brake fluid change. Does any one know if these are covered under the normal servicing under the warranty scheme? Either as part of an interval or full service?
Thanks!
I have a feeling they will be down to you to pay, and not covered. Happy if I’m wrong though :)

Thanks!
Not included in any Service Plan.

Thanks!
They are two different shemes - extended warranty and service plans. AFAIK there is no servicing included on the extended warranty. The service plans generally only cover basic/mid servicing and definitely not things like brake fluid replacement or DSG services.

Thanks!
Assuming:

factory Five year extension will have ended in 2022?

All in warranty: edit: scheduled additional maintenance such as DSG oil change, cam belt etc,
are not required to be carried out by VW Franchise dealer, however the Garage who carry out the scheduled additional maintenance work must be Vat Registered, should be able to update the VW digital service record , to record the necessary work, or provide written proof (receipts) that OEM parts & consumables were used along with VW procedure (Digital record is easier to prove),
otherwise VW will potentially discount any future claim if you cannot show that the work was carried out using VW branded original parts and by a company whom have followed VW procedure. (I.e. a company who can / are authorised to complete the VW digital record ).

Last edited:
Just get it done at VW. If the DSG goes wrong it’s ridiculously expensive. It’s not too expensive about £250 for DSG oil change and £100 for brake fluid.

Just get it done at VW. If the DSG goes wrong it’s ridiculously expensive. It’s not too expensive about £250 for DSG oil change and £100 for brake fluid.
I think you’ll find that DSG service is approx £600.

edit that should read £300

I agree it needs to be done

Last edited:
And also ensure that the DSG filter is replaced. Seems it's optional for some garages.

And also ensure that the DSG filter is replaced. Seems it's optional for some garages.
The filter change depends on the Gearbox serial number, some DSG service records state a new filter, some do not!
IMO is does not make sense not to replace the filter, the filter is approx £30

It makes the assessment of price difficult, particularly as sup pliers don’t, at enquiry, check if a filter is / is not required.
some do not so if a filter is fitted, they just quote the standard price (including filter) then do not fit if the System says no!

The filter change depends on the Gearbox serial number, some DSG service records state a new filter, some do not!
IMO is does not make sense not to replace the filter, the filter is approx £30

It makes the assessment of price difficult, particularly as sup pliers don’t, at enquiry, check if a filter is / is not required.
some do not so if a filter is fitted, they just quote the standard price (including filter) then do not fit if the System says no!
I thought that was for a 'sealed-for-life' DSG gearbox. So no oil or filter changes. The search is dead so can't check a recent discussion. If a DSG box service is needed I would insist that the filter be inspected for metal debris at a minimum, so why not replace the filter anyway. Its a minimal expense afterall and cheap insurance. A replacement gearbox is big $$$$$.

I thought that was for a 'sealed-for-life' DSG gearbox. So no oil or filter changes. The search is dead so can't check a recent discussion. If a DSG box service is needed I would insist that the filter be inspected for metal debris at a minimum, so why not replace the filter anyway. Its a minimal expense afterall and cheap insurance. A replacement gearbox is big $$$$$.
To check for debris would require filter removal which is the same action & time as replacing and as 'debris; would be trapped inside the filter material how could it be judged?
Debris would be more apparent the drained oil.

Access to the filter is difficult which would explain reluctance to replace it.

To check for debris would require filter removal which is the same action & time as replacing and as 'debris; would be trapped inside the filter material how could it be judged?
Debris would be more apparent the drained oil.

Access to the filter is difficult which would explain reluctance to replace it.
I thought poor access was the reason the DSG service costs so much. A few bits have to be moved out of the way increasing shop time. If anyone is spending 600 quid and not getting a filter replacement is being taken for a mug.

I thought poor access was the reason the DSG service costs so much. A few bits have to be moved out of the way increasing shop time. If anyone is spending 600 quid and not getting a filter replacement is being taken for a mug.
A little bit more involved than ” moving a few bits out of the way “.

This is the DSG fluid exchange for a 6 speed DSG box but it is similar to the Transporter 7 Speed DSG , especially the latter part using VCDS or similar software to ensure the correct fluid level at the correct temperature. Not a 5 minute job.

Nothing to move other than undertray removal.
Oil is pricey, 6ltrs needed but over £300 would be labour charges. That doen't take into account that Dealer only pays trade price but charges retail price.

I have corrected my post above Appologies I miss recalled the cost.
it should read £300 for DSG service

here is an approximate breakdown, noting that Some dealers did not include the Filter change as they said they don’t do it !
here is several responses from VW Franchised dealers :

“DSG service it would be £315.82, and yes we do replace the oil filter at the same time.” (Courtesy vehicle £30 per day)

“The cost for a DSG service is £300 inc vat, the filter is not changed only the oil. We can provide a loan vehicle which is charged at £30.00 per day”

“The DSG change cannot be booked as a waiting appointment and would need to be left with us, we don’t change the filter on the DSG so I am unable to give you a price”

I could not get much sense out of some dealers regarding filter replacement!
I suspect they charge one Fixed price and if the computer says no filter required they keep the cost of the filter ! At least one was upfront and said they don’t change the filter regardless!

How does that fit with VW maintenance Regime ?

I had the work carried out at a VW Indie, who were happy to discuss fully look into & check the filter requirement against my VIN ,
they confirm a filter is not shown on the VW maintenance schedule for my vehicle,
however they were happy to supply and fit the correct OEM filter for my vehicle even though my VIN number stated it was not required on the VW database. They agreed it was good practice to change a filter at the same time as oil and it was easy to do a filter change on my Van.

below is an indication of cost sept 2023 :

i hope that helps some.

5525C6FB-FCA3-4707-94DE-ABDB26C7C49E.jpeg

Thanks!
was in same situation had the 2 years all in, does not cover dsg oil service the honoured the £245 quote but said price had just topped £300 so thankful for small mercies!

The DSG oil change was not included in our extended warranty, can’t remember the price, but like any gearbox lubricant it gets worn out so it’s essential to have it replaced! Done on our T6 by JCT Sheffield at the service at 38 K; now we have done 56K at 5 years old. Where have we been?

The DSG oil change was not included in our extended warranty, can’t remember the price, but like any gearbox lubricant it gets worn out so it’s essential to have it replaced! Done on our T6 by JCT Sheffield at the service at 38 K; now we have done 56K at 5 years old. Where have we been?
Heard other vehicle forums suggest auto type gearboxes are sealed for life. That “life” is the manufacturers position so if on a lease contract it isn’t required. For example jaguar state not required however gearbox maker ZF say 80-100k/ 10 years and it’s about £1000. Personally I'm happy to have oil and filter replaced regularly and wouldn’t buy a vehicle without this being done. Didn’t know about the filter saga, is the filter in the gearbox sump or external as previously stated seems pointless changing oil without replacing filter that will have captured debris.

Heard other vehicle forums suggest auto type gearboxes are sealed for life. That “life” is the manufacturers position so if on a lease contract it isn’t required. For example jaguar state not required however gearbox maker ZF say 80-100k/ 10 years and it’s about £1000. Personally I'm happy to have oil and filter replaced regularly and wouldn’t buy a vehicle without this being done. Didn’t know about the filter saga, is the filter in the gearbox sump or external as previously stated seems pointless changing oil without replacing filter that will have captured debris.
Might depend on the manufacturer but on the VW/Audi the filter is integrated into the transmission sump. On the Audi S4 DSG service and filter change recommended every 35-40K miles.

Well, by way of update. The extended warranty doesn't include DSG service at 40K, nor brake fluid change. The invoice shows DSG oil, and washer. Total value £215.79. No mention of the filter.
Brake fluid change was £74.45 Total including VAT came to £348.29 (£148.24 labour)

No mention of the filter.
Some VW DSG gearboxes require a new filter to be fitted others don’t !
Your Vin number will determine.

VW dealers don’t disclose this to you when enquiring, nor do they adjust the price of the service (cost of filter is circa £30).

DYOR

IMO always have a new filter when replacing oil , regardless.

I had mine done at an indie, VW service record showed no filter was required, the indie agreed it made no sense to NOT fit a new filter, I paid for a new filter which shows on the invoice and unique VW service record.

Last edited: