Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waving Etiquette...so who do you wave at?

Waving Etiquette...so who do you wave at?

• Total voters
Guy/Louise

Guy/Louise

Life is for living....
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello, in 1984 I bought my first VW...a 1967,1500 automatic Beetle. Driving it for the first time I passed an orange Beetle, the attractive lady waved... I thought, wow...! Then I passed another and he waved too, ahh, I got it! In my T4 other T4s acknowledged you...most of the time!
So my question is...Do we?

91dedfd061e921fee8704e6014db7468.jpg

I do not wave but try to get rid of these passengers

As a new Cali owner, I didn't know what the etiquette was with waving so I thought I'd wait and see if I was waved at first. It's not happened before today when I was waved at twice ... both times it caught me off guard and by the time I'd waved back they'd gone past. :oops:

I always wave at other calis (an awning on the drivers side in the uk is a dead giveaway) and return waves if I'm quick enough...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sometimes even wave to big motorhomes or vw transporters. They often react with a smile!

We've been waved at lots of times from T25, T3 T4, T5 and T6s conversions and California's most of the time we get either get or receive a wave back. As far as I'm aware never from a T1, T2 or a VW hightop

So it's always worth a wave what is the worst that can happen?

I AM A WAVER and PROUD!

:thumb

Until I read this thread I hadn't noticed any waves but on a recent trip to the Scarborough coast everyone waved, it was weird. Perhaps 7 oncoming wavers. Obviously I acknowledged the waves, must be a summer thing. Happy campers.

We should all experiment for the month of August and all forum members actively wave at all Cali owner regardless... Get the children involved as spotters ,make it fun on our long journeys south looking for the sun ..would give us all a good image with conversions etc (bound to get a few waves ) as the friendly bunch and not snooty ,what do you think ?

I'm going to be Lazy. I'm just going to park outside a VW dealers and wake to anyone who steps into the Demo :shocked

V was driving yesterday and missed quite a few waves from T25 through T6 drivers, we followed a nice T6 cali down the A1 for a time and saw plenty the other way.

Sorry to any who we didnt wave back to, by the time we realised you were g...

I'm going to be Lazy. I'm just going to park outside a VW dealers and wake to anyone who steps into the Demo :shocked
People waved at us when we were on a test drive, the sales exec was happy to point it out. That he didn't know the difference between a T6 & T5 was less impressive. :)

That's the problem, being quick to notice either a wave from the other van or indeed the fact that the other van is a campervan! Sometimes I'm just too busy watching the traffic and where I'm going, and the other problem, round here at least, there are huge numbers of VW work vans.
When I do wave, I find that people in earlier models tend not to wave back!

We received and returned 10 waves and big smiles during our journey in the Yorkshire Dales over the weekend :)

I wave and my wife is embarrassed. Well, maybe it's easier for me after +15 years on a Motorcycle, where it is a very command gesture … I find it hyggeligt as you say in Danish. So I wave … not always, but when I feel like ;-)

Always!!!

I've always waved at fellow dub owners, although I’ve noticed that the air-cooled guys and girls don’t always wave back now I’m in a Cali, which is a bit sad. Some people go by the ‘built not bought’ mantra and see the Cali’s as a bit of a cheat.

However, after Busfest I bought a garland to go along the front of the dash and now I get loads of waves :D perhaps having a garland means I’m now one of ‘the gang’ again!!

Always!!!

I've always waved at fellow dub owners, although I’ve noticed that the air-cooled guys and girls don’t always wave back now I’m in a Cali, which is a bit sad. Some people go by the ‘built not bought’ mantra and see the Cali’s as a bit of a cheat.

However, after Busfest I bought a garland to go along the front of the dash and now I get loads of waves :D perhaps having a garland means I’m now one of ‘the gang’ again!!

It may be that like me I see a lot of VW vans so have to be sure before I wave (it's often too late). The garland sends a clear message so oncoming drivers know immediately that you're not van person.

I wonder if we had a bright club sticker in the same place on the windscreen, it would give us more chance to wave?

I wonder if we had a bright club sticker in the same place on the windscreen, it would give us more chance to wave?

Or an 'old-fashioned' grille badge like the classic cars/associations used to have?

Waving before owning a Cali meant one of few things, but mostly warnings or a hello from an acquaintance...

Driving through town yesterday a enthusiastic chap in a T4 waved, so I presumed the fuzz were operating a speed trap...

Doh!

...I keep forgetting I’m now in a camper and I felt bad not acknowledging him. So I made a conscious effort to wave to all VW Transporters for the rest of the drive, with mixed results, ranging from strange looks to the odd cheery wave back...in hindsight I think I waved at more builders than campers.

So what is the score in regards to waving?

I’ll wave at anyone.... but there are so many vans around i struggle to work out whether it’s a “plumbers r us” coming towards me , or a fully paid up member of the van life community !... by the time realise they probably have a porta potty on board rather than a spare part for a flush system, they have passed....

Waving to motorcyclists when I’m on mine is a little easier, as they are easier to recognise at my age.

Yep, much easier when biking - just wave to everyone on 2 or 3 wheels, and if they didn't wave back (some Harley riders and a lot of sports bike riders) I just thought 'their loss' not feeling part of the community. More difficult with T5s and T6s as there's often not time to check, but I wave to any that I can see are campervans of any kind.

Back