Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waving Etiquette...so who do you wave at?

Waving Etiquette...so who do you wave at?

• Total voters
Yep, much easier when biking - just wave to everyone on 2 or 3 wheels, and if they didn't wave back (some Harley riders and a lot of sports bike riders) I just thought 'their loss' not feeling part of the community. More difficult with T5s and T6s as there's often not time to check, but I wave to any that I can see are campervans of any kind.
Maybe we should just wave to EVERYONE... even when walking down the pavement

Last edited:
I think that a nice bright club sticker, in the same place, on the windscreen would help. At my age, I need a bit of advance warning when a wave is required.

Different colour stickers for Beach or full fat? ? :shocked

Got my my first wave last weekend, made my day. I will wave at any vw camper if I'm quick enough

I wiggle wave at Splits Bays and old Beetles (habit) but tend not to modern stuff as my old vw's spotting internal antenna has never been reset...but I was shocked to find loads of T5 owners waving at us in Wales in the Cali last week! and then felt guilty for appearing rude!

I wiggle wave at Splits Bays and old Beetles (habit) but tend not to modern stuff as my old vw's spotting internal antenna has never been reset...but I was shocked to find loads of T5 owners waving at us in Wales in the Cali last week! and then felt guilty for appearing rude!
That's surprised us as well...my better half does the waving mostly and I've noticed she's pretty happy to wave at non-campers, even vans with signage (I just look straight ahead).

I think we should all start waving at VW vans even the plumbers van. At the end of the day it cheers us all up. I have an air cooled Beetle and everyone with a beetle waves. Also if you are broken down then another Beetle will always stop. In the past I have had a couple of Corrados and other Corrados owners waved.

Resurrection of this thread, I have come to the conclusion that after many years of waving at other Vw T,s I’m must be the only one left doing it?

I’m in North Devon, there are a huge number of Transporter variants, all models conversions and calis etc.

I wave at all I see, except builders vans, my family think I’m mad, but I have to admit this week I must have waved at 40+ vans and only a couple have waved back, where has all the Van love gone ? Or is everyone too cool for school nowadays?

I only wave if waved at now. there are still some happy wavers out there. T4 drivers came out on top for waving this last weekend. :D

I agree old Skool best wavers, T2 tops the rating.

I think there are a couple of problems with waving at T5s. The first is identifying the work vans from the campervans in time to wave. And the second is the angle of the windscreen and the way the light reflects makes it difficult to see whether the driver is waving.

I don't know about where you are, but here there are many VW work vans they get fed up with being waved at and I got fed up with being ignored!

I always try to wave back but sometimes I am too slow so apologies if you wave to me and I do not reply it is not intentional. I get waves from VW Californias and other W camper-vans. Sometimes they wave when overtaking so I am not sure if they see my wave. I am a little slow at being first to wave but sometimes I manage one and get a wave back. Easier when stuck in traffic.

Always wave to any camper, motorhome ... Northumberland the roads are not so busy and the waves abound as we presume the traffic situations are easier to deal with.

Just back from the Lake District, waved to 5/6 Cali's and no response. Most seemed oblivious to the other Cali passing them. Two were on car parks and still didn't acknowledge.

We have owned a Cali since 2014 and yesterday got only our second response to our waves in all that time. Must be a record!

Alan

There’s someone on the T5 forum selling ‘I wave’ stickers.

Have to admit I’ve given up on waving, can’t handle the ‘dub snub’

We wave at other Cali's but what I really want is a wave that says "my other vehicle is a Cali" when I am in the touran!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fit the Sportline stuff and you're one of the dubs until they realise that your awning on the wrong side.

Typically do but more distraction so sometimes I miss the wave.

Motorbike is 100% doth the cap to other riders bar 125 learners or mopeds. Haven't had a bike since 2017 and its still a hard habit to break, even when not on the bike!!!

Back