Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weird hobbies anyone ?

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Anyone got on strange hobbies on here that they are using this time to get indulged in, or maybe going back to a hobby you took up many years ago?

RC helecopter with combustion engine. Enjoyed building it, putting it through its paces on the ground but not so flying. 4 flights, 4 crash landings and about £1000 in repairs . Now I just gaze at it, but maybe one more go!!!!!

RC helecopter with combustion engine. Enjoyed building it, putting it through its paces on the ground but not so flying. 4 flights, 4 crash landings and about £1000 in repairs . Now I just gaze at it, but maybe one more go!!!!!

Pictures, pictures!

My brother tried that hobby years ago with the same result. I seem to remember he used to take it to a very big field and strap it to a B& D workbench.
I did see it flying briefly before taking cover.

Mike

Would a drone be a suitable replacement hobby??

My brother tried that hobby years ago with the same result. I seem to remember he used to take it to a very big field and strap it to a B& D workbench.
I did see it flying briefly before taking cover.

Mike
That's what I've done on the patio.

In1977 I was the SMO at RAF Masirah, a small island off the coast of Oman.
While there I built a 6’ wingspan, balsa and doped tissue paper, monoplane with a 10cc Petrol engine. No remote control. The Ailerons wee fixed to give a 5o climb and the Rudder a 5o turn. It would take off and spiral upwards until the fuel ran out and then glide down in a spiral path and land in the sand dunes. A typical desert island.
When it came time to leave there was no way the plane would survive the journey home. So we fixed the rudder straight. Fitted a much, much larger fuel tank. Put some silver foil on the fuselage to improve its radar signature and sent it down the main runway. It eventually lumbered into the air , cleared the perimeter fence and sand dunes and headed off towards the Indian Ocean. We lost the faint radar signal at about 5 + miles but it was still climbing having passed 1000ft at that point due to some helpful up currents. I doubt it would have survived the landing.

My brother flys RC planes, helicopters are notorious. I have been witness to many disastrous maiden flights, (which, as a sibling, I obviously found highly comical :) )

My brother flys RC planes, helicopters are notorious. I have been witness to many disastrous maiden flights, (which, as a sibling, I obviously found highly comical :) )
Too true. Planes are much easier than helicopters.

Have you used a simulator - ideal for practicing on whilst keeping costs down ?

Back