Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weird hobbies anyone ?

Have you used a simulator - ideal for practicing on whilst keeping costs down ?
I did, but they are much better for fixed wing than rotary. But I did get quit good at sim - crashes.:upsidedown

I spend my free time tying dry flies for flyfishing. One of my hobbies. May not be too strange for you Brits, but her ein my country people have no idea and might think I'm crazy. Then again, we have no salmonides here either ;-)

In1977 I was the SMO at RAF Masirah, a small island off the coast of Oman.
While there I built a 6’ wingspan, balsa and doped tissue paper, monoplane with a 10cc Petrol engine. No remote control. The Ailerons wee fixed to give a 5o climb and the Rudder a 5o turn. It would take off and spiral upwards until the fuel ran out and then glide down in a spiral path and land in the sand dunes. A typical desert island.
When it came time to leave there was no way the plane would survive the journey home. So we fixed the rudder straight. Fitted a much, much larger fuel tank. Put some silver foil on the fuselage to improve its radar signature and sent it down the main runway. It eventually lumbered into the air , cleared the perimeter fence and sand dunes and headed off towards the Indian Ocean. We lost the faint radar signal at about 5 + miles but it was still climbing having passed 1000ft at that point due to some helpful up currents. I doubt it would have survived the landing.
I've only ever built one flying model aircraft in my life. It too took ages to build and like yours, was also made of balsa wood and doped tissue paper. The propulsion was supplied by a Jetex motor and if memory serves me, a tablet of solid fuel had to be inserted into the unit and ignited by a fuse wire. Anyway, despite lining the areas near the jet with tin foil as instructed, it took off rapidly and then did a Hindenburg, crashing in flames. All that work and the maiden flight lasted less than a minute. It was a total write off.

I spend my free time tying dry flies for flyfishing. One of my hobbies. May not be too strange for you Brits, but her ein my country people have no idea and might think I'm crazy. Then again, we have no salmonides here either ;-)
What do you fish for and where?

What do you fish for and where?

I fish abroad quite a bit: Norway, Sweden and Slovenia are countries I vist often specifically for flyfishing. I try to do 2 trips abroad each year. France usually during family holidays. Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany as well. But not so often. I fished in Italy, Montenegro, Greece and once in England. Would love to fish in England/Ireland/Scotland but never seem to get around to it. I almost exclusively fish for trout species and grayling. In my home country I sometimes fish for roach, chub and Ide. How about you?

I've only ever built one flying model aircraft in my life. It too took ages to build and like yours, was also made of balsa wood and doped tissue paper. The propulsion was supplied by a Jetex motor and if memory serves me, a tablet of solid fuel had to be inserted into the unit and ignited by a fuse wire. Anyway, despite lining the areas near the jet with tin foil as instructed, it took off rapidly and then did a Hindenburg, crashing in flames. All that work and the maiden flight lasted less than a minute. It was a total write off.
Did you ever try Control Line aircraft. Good to build, you could take off, land and climb and descend, but got a bit dizzying turning on the spot. Trouble was you couldn’t land at full throttle, never saw any with a line throttle control, and if you did try then invariably it wasn’t one you walked away from.:headbang

I fish abroad quite a bit: Norway, Sweden and Slovenia are countries I vist often specifically for flyfishing. I try to do 2 trips abroad each year. France usually during family holidays. Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany as well. But not so often. I fished in Italy, Montenegro, Greece and once in England. Would love to fish in England/Ireland/Scotland but never seem to get around to it. I almost exclusively fish for trout species and grayling. In my home country I sometimes fish for roach, chub and Ide. How about you?
I never had the patience to tie flies, but I was a very keen angler in my teenage years; used my father's Hardy split cane rod and reel and his flies also. I was lucky and had a whole length of the River Aln in Northumberland to myself, fishing for brown trout and sea trout in season. My interest waned when I went to university and the rod went to my brother. I think that if I tried now I would probably snag everything in sight!
I once brought a Brummie friend to fish, he usually fished canals and I had to stop him flinging handfulls of maggotts and worms into the river to attract the fish!

When I was in Masirah, island off the coast of Oman, we used to go sea fishing from Beach, Jetty and a DUKW. We frequently lost hooks, weights and tracer lines etc: Fish too large and vicious.
On an Aeromed back to the UK I had a few days leave so went to a local fishing shop in Penarth. Bought a lot of weights, hooks etc. Then I asked for some line. Was offered 5,10,15,20lb breaking stain line. I asked for something a little stronger. The owner disappeared into the back and came out with a box of heavy duty line. 5 x 100 lb and 5 x 125 lb reals. I'll take them all I said. His response was " Hardly very sporting, Sir ".

When I explained where I was fishing he threw in 2 x 200 lb reals. We caught a few sharks with that line and they were much appreciated by the locals who regarded them as a delicacy but much too dangerous to fish for.
The Locals use to give us 10 x barracuda for each shark. Barracuda steaks barbecued with butter are to die for.

1/32 scale Slot Car Racing is one of my hobbies. Have recently completed the building of a permanent four lane wooden (MDF) track with three chums for a local club that meets twice/three times a week. During lockdown track buildings are being built complete with pit lane etc. Trees and scenery to follow. If there is interest I can post photos.....

1/32 scale Slot Car Racing is one of my hobbies. Have recently completed the building of a permanent four lane wooden (MDF) track with three chums for a local club that meets twice/three times a week. During lockdown track buildings are being built complete with pit lane etc. Trees and scenery to follow. If there is interest I can post photos.....
Yes to photos please Rik.

Yep want to see photos, sounds ace

We were lucky enough to have a huge scalextric track when we were kids, we were always skint, but my dad worked as a bin-man for the council and ‘liberated’ a large amount of fire damaged scalextrics when the local Woolworths burnt down ;)

We were lucky enough to have a huge scalextric track when we were kids, we were always skint, but my dad worked as a bin-man for the council and ‘liberated’ a large amount of fire damaged scalextrics when the local Woolworths burnt down ;)
I’m afraid Scalextric is a dirty word to slot car enthusiasts. I was always a Scalextric ‘man’ when growing up but one of my best mates was into the real thing and looked at my set-up with disdain.

Did you ever try Control Line aircraft. Good to build, you could take off, land and climb and descend, but got a bit dizzying turning on the spot. Trouble was you couldn’t land at full throttle, never saw any with a line throttle control, and if you did try then invariably it wasn’t one you walked away from.:headbang
No I haven't although I have often been tempted. I frequently watch the various videos featuring radio controlled model aircraft on Youtube. The control line system looks like a good way to get started soperhaps I should give it another go.
As you probably know, there are some amazing examples on Youtube. Unfortunately, very often they come to a sticky end.

Look at this beast. It must represent many hundreds of hours work and a small fortune as well.

One thing I have noted is that the undercarriage usually seems to be the weakest link. :thumb

OK, we've had a great time producing this 4 lane slot-car track since last summer and have been using it for competitive racing since Nov last year. We are all very proud of what we have produced, all funded by personal donations from interested parties. Here is a link to some photos that track our journey from CAD drawings to final racing surface. (if the link is not working let me know)

OK, we've had a great time producing this 4 lane slot-car track since last summer and have been using it for competitive racing since Nov last year. We are all very proud of what we have produced, all funded by personal donations from interested parties. Here is a link to some photos that track our journey from CAD drawings to final racing surface. (if the link is not working let me know)
Fantastic stuff! Keep posting updates.

Absolutely brilliant Rik.

Interesting collection you have there. Are those Fordson Majors?

When our grandson Montgomery, has a sleep over I always end up telling him made up bedtime stories about Farmer Giles's exploits with young Monty and a Field Marshall tractor. He now knows the full FM start up procedure off by heart.

If iam not woodturning then a ride out on the trike, this was taken last year in the Eden valley View attachment 57562
Interesting trike you have there. A friend of mine tried one similar to yours recently and was very impressed. Unfortunately, he had a stroke some years ago so is unable to ride a bike. However he got on very well with the one he tried. He said that one had electric assistance which in his case was essential.

Coincidentally, Mrs B has been suggesting recently that I should get a lathe and take up wood turning. I did have a dabble years ago and found it very satisfying. The trouble is, whilst I would love to do just that, I'll be needing another shed first to park it all in.
The use of resin is a new development since I did a bit years ago.

Love your work.

Back