Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Design Changes and/or New Options for the California.

Agree it's better when loaded but mines also a daily drive, day tripper, dads taxi, rubbish truck etc. I think lots of people buy calis for their versatility and for me suspension that was as versatile as the rest of the vehicle would be a massive improvement.
Well VW do provide Lowering springs and HD anti-roll bars otherwise it’s 3rd Party Options.

built-in dash camera system front and rear

All these wish list add ons will naturally be accompanied by extra complication and therefore a higher chance of problems down the line. Problems can go hand in hand with increased running costs and almost certainly, decreased customer satisfaction. Whilst I'm not against innovation and development, and I too like the gadgets, I'd really like to go the other way and see a basic Cali offered to the British market.

It's surprising what could be thrown overboard from a Cali Ocean and still leave the very essence of what owning a camper van is all about. Electronic gadgets and aids are all very nice but they don't really add much to the package. Remember the early VW campers and how wonderfully basic they were. I didn't stop people falling in love with them even though they rusted and often caught fire!

I concede that there are many additions to the modern Cali that are required by law but equally there are many that are not. The basic Cali that I am after would be recognisable to any current Cali owner but would only contain the essentials needed by law. There would have to be the option to include extras if the owner required e.g parking heater, but surely that has to be possible?

With the ever rising levels of sophistication, complication and cost, the current Cali concept is limited to only the very well heeled. It doesn't have to be this way!

All these wish list add ons will naturally be accompanied by extra complication and therefore a higher chance of problems down the line. Problems can go hand in hand with increased running costs and almost certainly, decreased customer satisfaction. Whilst I'm not against innovation and development, and I too like the gadgets, I'd really like to go the other way and see a basic Cali offered to the British market.

It's surprising what could be thrown overboard from a Cali Ocean and still leave the very essence of what owning a camper van is all about. Electronic gadgets and aids are all very nice but they don't really add much to the package. Remember the early VW campers and how wonderfully basic they were. I didn't stop people falling in love with them even though they rusted and often caught fire!

I concede that there are many additions to the modern Cali that are required by law but equally there are many that are not. The basic Cali that I am after would be recognisable to any current Cali owner but would only contain the essentials needed by law. There would have to be the option to include extras if the owner required e.g parking heater, but surely that has to be possible?

With the ever rising levels of sophistication, complication and cost, the current Cali concept is limited to only the very well heeled. It doesn't have to be this way!

Haven’t you just described a transporter?

I like the idea but I wouldn’t want to wind the clock back too far! My splittie was pretty basic, so much so that the 6volt electrics couldn’t handle headlights, wipers and indicators simultaneously, made right turns in the rain at night a bit of a gamble!

I like the idea but I wouldn’t want to wind the clock back too far! My splittie was pretty basic, so much so that the 6volt electrics couldn’t handle headlights, wipers and indicators simultaneously, made right turns in the rain at night a bit of a gamble!
I don't think it would have 6 volt electrics.

Since when has a transporter been a camper van? Think basic Coast and then you'll be somewhere near it.
Well VW already make and sell the Coast, just not in the U.K. . Probably some agreement with 3rd party new vehicle converters as it might take business away from them.

I don't think it would have 6 volt electrics.
Lots of current and Big sparks! Managed to short a switch with my metal watch strap ... still have a burn scar in the shape of one of the links.

Well VW already make and sell the Coast, just not in the U.K. . Probably some agreement with 3rd party new vehicle converters as it might take business away from them.
I've noted quite a few comments from members at past Cali club meets saying that they would have preferred the Coast if only it had been available here in the UK. I don't really know much about the Coast but if it represents what I've already laid out, namely a basic no frills Cali then I'm sure it would have a big market here in the UK. I suspect that one of the reasons it isn't available here is because it would substantially reduce sales of the Ocean.

i just ordered a Coast in Belgium. It is about €8.5k less than the ocean. the differences are significant. No standard:
- heater,
- electric roof,
- climatronic air-con,
- fog lights,
- coloured electric wing mirrors,
- three windowed bellows
- 5" display radio (coast only has a very basic one)
- double glazing
- interor lights
- second rear window with mosquito net
- soem chrome bits here and there
- a few usbs
- some other things.

.... I think that is about it. when i added all those things back (minus the fog lights, chrome and coloured bits and the electric roof), it still came out about 3k less, so i went with that.

Last edited:
Ever since people started throwing a mattress in the rear.
You can throw alot of things in a Transporter but that doesn't make it a camper van.

I think you know exactly what I mean so let's not continue on this tack.

i just ordered a Coast in Belgium. It is about €8.5k less than the ocean. the differences are significant. No standard:
- heater,
- electric roof,
- climatronic air-con,
- fog lights,
- coloured electric wing mirrors,
- three windowed bellows
- 5" display radio (coast only has a very basic one)
- double glazing
- interor lights
- second rear window with mosquito net
- soem chrome bits here and there
- a few usbs
- some other things.

.... I think that is about it. when i added all those things back (minus the fog lights, chrome and coloured bits and the electric roof), it still came out about 3k less, so i went with that.
Thanks Babble,
That's very interesting. If only we had that choice in the UK! You have added some interesting options to your basic Coast. I hope that you have many happy advetures in it. Good luck.

On a general note, this concept of starting with a bog standard Coast, stripped of all the unnecessary stuff is quite refreshing. If we were allowed this build your own Coast concept then the vehicle you would start with would obviously be to the latest standards mechanically and legally and would have the basics that any other entry level vehicle in the range would have. You could possibly upgrade to a higher base spec if you wanted to. The options and camper van stuff (above the basic fit), would then be as simple or as complicated as you decide to make it. In deciding that spec you'd have to ask yourself some searching questions:

Do I actually need this or that option?
Will I ever use it?
Couldn't I just do it manually instead?
Will this option actually make my life better in some way?

The vehicle that you'd end up would still fulfill exactly the same roll as a fully loaded Ocean but be far less complicated and cost a lot less to run and maintain over it's lifetime. It should also cost alot less to buy and therefore be of interest to those that cannot currently afford an Ocean.

Not everyone would would find a low tech, low cost, Coast appealing but I believe there's alot of people out there that would.

However, it ain't gonna happen here in Blighty.

I don't understand why Brits who complain about the non-availability of the Coast in the UK don't buy one (with RHD) in Ireland.
In France (where I live) people order their Calis from everywhere in Europe: Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, even Poland. Just look around where you get the best specs for the best price, do the paperwork and you have the exact Cali you want.
What's stopping Brits to buy one in Ireland?

I don't understand why Brits who complain about the non-availability of the Coast in the UK don't buy one (with RHD) in Ireland.
In France (where I live) people order their Calis from everywhere in Europe: Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, even Poland. Just look around where you get the best specs for the best price, do the paperwork and you have the exact Cali you want.
What's stopping Brits to buy one in Ireland?
Absolutely nothing as far as I am aware.

Care to elaborate?
Exchange rates and the fact that there is a cost to importing a vehicle that is not sold in the U.K..

Do you get a 3 year warranty or 2?

Well here's one change you may well be getting on the new T6 - 1.

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

Personally, I think the whole dash looks a mess. A clear case of design over practicality.

I don't really like how it looks, bit pointy and sharp looking. Reminds me of my evil great aunt's pointy glasses. But I would very much like some nice cup holders like that. I guess they will get rid of them for the 'comfort' dash.

Back