Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Maxxcamp confort overlay and help deflectors !

E139C5E3-8270-4281-8356-44B7EB5BE37C.jpeg

But to sell you the idea, an old lady in a Smart car T-Boned my 5-Series Touring a few years back - did 11K worth of damage ... she apologised for not seeing me at the scene and filled out the accident description and signed it. Later it turned out the car belonged to someone else and she changed her story - said I had overtaken her while she was turning. Fortunately I had a witness and didn't have to pay my insurance excess as she was found to be 100% at fault with the witness statement. A dashcam would have negated the need for a witness. The BMW was a company lease car, the Cali is mine - bought with real money - so now I have a dashcam. :thumb
We never had a dash cam either until one week in 2018.
We had two foreign tourists turn into the wrong side of the junctions in Glen Coe and met another coming head on for us on the wrong side of the road on an A road, they swerved.
We decided it would be easier to prove fault with a dash cam. The Cali came fitted with one and feel a bit safer in that than the car in tourist season.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Will do, off to Switzerland/Austria/Italy at the weekend so it will get a good shake-down.
@California_Ocean You need to check before you use it in both Switzerland and Austria, both have rather obscure rules on use.

Last edited:
Can you sell the idea to me please?
I drove at 60mph in my Ocean and have not yet been involved in anything approaching a near miss. That’s eight whole days without incident. What are you hoping to record on your dash cam? What an I missing?

I was driving along at ~5mph in London when a twit came roaring down the inside to access an empty bus lane 50 yards ahead and scraped my inside. No dash cam and 18 months of wrangling until the matter was sorted in court. Amarillo was 3 weeks old.

Driving behind a slow and cautious white van in Poland for ~10 miles. He stops at a red light in the town of Swidnica on a slight upward slope, then allows his van to roll backwards into mine for an insurance scam. No dash cam. Six hours of trying to explain in a Polish police station when a rookie cop has a genius idea to check the nearby nursery for security cameras. Bingo! The whole incident is on camera. Three months later and the scam artist is up before the Polish beak for dangerous driving and convicted; six months later and the insurance is settled. Amarillo was three months old.

I had a dash cam fitted.

Five further years of motoring and nothing more sinister than a couple of punctures and (lowers head in shame) the gentlest of arguments with a wooden car park boundary post.

Get a dash cam and hope you never need it.

@California_Ocean You need to check before you use it in both Switzerland and Austria, both have rather obscure rules on use.

In German: https://www.baloise.ch/de/privatkun...-der-schweiz-bei-den-autokameras-erlaubt.html

Sorry neither provide intel in English: In short I would say: Dashcam yes to film landscape and no to play sherrif

But to sell you the idea, an old lady in a Smart car T-Boned my 5-Series Touring a few years back - did 11K worth of damage ... she apologised for not seeing me at the scene and filled out the accident description and signed it. Later it turned out the car belonged to someone else and she changed her story - said I had overtaken her while she was turning. Fortunately I had a witness and didn't have to pay my insurance excess as she was found to be 100% at fault with the witness statement. A dashcam would have negated the need for a witness. The BMW was a company lease car, the Cali is mine - bought with real money - so now I have a dashcam. :thumb
Good on you for protecting yourself. I guess until that kind of nightmare happens to you, you have no idea how vulnerable you are.

I always thought as camera on the back would be off more use. But I guess in those cases the fault lies with the rear vehicle.

Thank you

In German: https://www.baloise.ch/de/privatkun...-der-schweiz-bei-den-autokameras-erlaubt.html

Sorry neither provide intel in English: In short I would say: Dashcam yes to film landscape and no to play sherrif
Thanks for the links, fortunately I understand German.

I did check all this out before I bought the Dashcam and checked out the user manuals to see what settings were available to avoid infringement .... the only defence of infringement of other peoples privacy rights is to convince the authorities there was no intent to infringe privacy rights. So IMO, rules are as follows:

1. Disable functions which are motion triggered or permanent recordings. The park feature (which records when the car is parked) can be disabled in the Vantrue N3. This is illegal in many european countries because it is seen as "systematic surveillance".

2. The recordings should be short segments which are automatically overwritten as the oldest recordings are deleted. The Vantrue N3 has this cyclic setting and also has a setting where you are reminded to format the card every month.

3. Set the camera to save only incidents when an accident occurs (measured by a sensor in the camera) - this transfers the recording when the excessive acceleration/deceleration occured to an events folder on the card which is not overwritten.

4. Don't publish any footage on social media. Footage is "for private use only". Don't offer your dashcam footage to anyone else as evidence. If you need to use footage as evidence, check with the police first.

5. If asked by another member of the public what you have recorded then show them and offer to delete it. (Unless obviously they just ploughed into your car after running a red light.)

The problem countries are Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Portugal and Switzerland as they have the most stringent privacy laws ... so doing all the above will help convince the authorities that you are complying with the law, and that the dashcam is for taking private recordings of scenery and accidents.

Those are the basic rules which will cover most of Europe - if in doubt then remove the dashcam in Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Portugal and Switzerland would be my advice, but each individual must determine their level of risk themselves.

I have also had many run-ins with members of the public while using my drone, be polite, show them what you are doing, and if you have a web-site which for example publishes "artistic" images then this is allowed as long as no personal data (faces or number plates) are visible.

E.g.

Herrsching.JPG

I did check all this out before I bought the Dashcam and checked out the user manuals to see what settings were available to avoid infringement .... the only defence of infringement of other peoples privacy rights is to convince the authorities there was no intent to infringe privacy rights. So IMO, rules are as follows:

1. Disable functions which are motion triggered or permanent recordings. The park feature (which records when the car is parked) can be disabled in the Vantrue N3. This is illegal in many european countries because it is seen as "systematic surveillance".

2. The recordings should be short segments which are automatically overwritten as the oldest recordings are deleted. The Vantrue N3 has this cyclic setting and also has a setting where you are reminded to format the card every month.

3. Set the camera to save only incidents when an accident occurs (measured by a sensor in the camera) - this transfers the recording when the excessive acceleration/deceleration occured to an events folder on the card which is not overwritten.

4. Don't publish any footage on social media. Footage is "for private use only". Don't offer your dashcam footage to anyone else as evidence. If you need to use footage as evidence, check with the police first.

5. If asked by another member of the public what you have recorded then show them and offer to delete it. (Unless obviously they just ploughed into your car after running a red light.)

The problem countries are Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Portugal and Switzerland as they have the most stringent privacy laws ... so doing all the above will help convince the authorities that you are complying with the law, and that the dashcam is for taking private recordings of scenery and accidents.

Those are the basic rules which will cover most of Europe - if in doubt then remove the dashcam in Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Portugal and Switzerland would be my advice, but each individual must determine their level of risk themselves.

I have also had many run-ins with members of the public while using my drone, be polite, show them what you are doing, and if you have a web-site which for example publishes "artistic" images then this is allowed as long as no personal data (faces or number plates) are visible.

E.g.

View attachment 91378
... oh, I forgot Austria, Austria is strict too.

What are the penalties for infringement?
What are the chances of being caught infringing? (unless you are one of the unthinking Facebook, Instagram, etc., etc., posters, in which case you deserve prosecution)

What are the penalties for infringement? If similar penalties to endemic lawbreaking, such as speeding, isn’t the risk of a penalty worth taking?
"Bei Verstößen gegen den Datenschutz droht hierzulande eine Verwaltungsstrafe in der Höhe von einigen hundert bis zu 25.000 Euro."

Which roughly translates to .. .

In Austria, violations of data protection laws can result in a fine of somewhere between a couple of hundred to 25,000 euros.

"Bei Verstößen gegen den Datenschutz droht hierzulande eine Verwaltungsstrafe in der Höhe von einigen hundert bis zu 25.000 Euro."

Which roughly translates to .. .

In Austria, violations of data protection laws can result in a fine of somewhere between a couple of hundred to 25,000 euros.

Being fined 25,000 euros would not be very pleasant.

Remoska Tria! Bought it for the flexibility as you can use it as a pan or electric oven as well as a casserole dish in the oven when at home. But now thinking it’s a little bit big for a Cali and should have gone for the Standard Remoska instead! :headbang

0FAEE45B-F4DB-418D-B861-918BD726FDD6.jpeg

We’ve been wanting a bird call app for a while (newbies to the birding world) so will give BirdNET a go. As keen gardeners we’ve been using ‘Seek’ as a plant app - but it finds only around 75% of species and the camera link is iffy . Do you find Obsidentify is reliable for you?
Yes, we use it a lot. Not identifying 100% of the species but it uncertaincy will be displayed in % and Obsidentify is easy to use (and free).

E.g.

View attachment 91378
How does that affect owners of Tesla vehicles, they have cameras running all the time, including when parked ? Or, as is often the case, the law is lagging behind the technology.

What are the chances of being caught infringing? (unless you are one of the unthinking Facebook, Instagram, etc., etc., posters, in which case you deserve prosecution)

I've come very close to a run-in with the police over my drone a couple of times. Some people just don't like an indiscriminate mobile video camera, they are either paranoid or imagine the camera can film things that it can't - I usually show them the footage if confronted. A dashcam is the same if they spot it, the problem comes usually from the public involving the police, not the police themselves unless they are having a bad day.
How does that affect owners of Tesla vehicles, they have cameras running all the time, including when parked ? Or, as is often the case, the law is lagging behind the technology.

... and translated

I've come very close to a run-in with the police over my drone a couple of times. Some people just don't like an indiscriminate mobile video camera, they are either paranoid or imagine the camera can film things that it can't - I usually show them the footage if confronted. A dashcam is the same if they spot it, the problem comes usually from the public involving the police, not the police themselves unless they are having a bad day.

In the uk there is a legal right to a private life. If your opposite neighbour has a video/audio doorbell, for example, that permanently records your house, not just their driveway, law courts will rule for it to be adjusted/removed. This despite the fact that it is public highway.
Drone footage could also violate a right to privacy but I think you’d really have to have intent for them to have a case.

You can a) turn them off and b) removed the storage device

Back