Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Team Heko wind deflectors. Just brilliant for leaving the windows open in the rain. Over night or leaving the dog in the car briefly, at motorway services for example, subject to temperature of course. They don’t eradicate condensation but reduce it and give you some ventilation, especially with the roof down View attachment 115675View attachment 115676
Hi there do you have a link for the wind deflectors. I typed my registration into the website and it was not recognised. Thanks

Picked up my pre-ordered Thule bike rack from the club shop yesterday and whilst there bought a couple of RidgeMonkeys. Wow, I can throw a load of pans away now.
On getting home I found that the hinge was broken on one of the sets, both pins snapped, which CampervanBits have fully credited me for, no hassle. Thanks guys.
It really does pay to use the club shop

Picked up my pre-ordered Thule bike rack from the club shop yesterday and whilst there bought a couple of RidgeMonkeys. Wow, I can throw a load of pans away now.
On getting home I found that the hinge was broken on one of the sets, both pins snapped, which CampervanBits have fully credited me for, no hassle. Thanks guys.
It really does pay to use the club shop
It's great to hear about your positive experience with the Thule bike rack and the RidgeMonkeys from the club shop! Quality camping gear can truly enhance your outdoor experiences.

It's great to hear about your positive experience with the Thule bike rack and the RidgeMonkeys from the club shop! Quality camping gear can truly enhance your outdoor experiences.
Similarly, badly designed or poorly functioning gear can ruin or diminish the experience. This is why the Cali is such a great camping companion. It's so well designed given the limitations of size.

Buzzing! We've just gotten our shipping confirmation through from 50°Nord tonight.

Currently enroute are:
  • 50°Nord storage boxes for the kitchen cupboards
  • 50°Nord storage boxes for the tailgate cupboards
  • 50°Nord Cali Board (covers the pop top entrance, stopping cold air falling into the van and gives you somewhere to place items when up there) and most excitingly (for me atleast);
  • 50°Nord CaliHeat so that I no longer suffer hypothermia in the pop top whilst all three of the girls and the dog cuddle up downstairs in glorious Eberspacher warmth.​
Why VW placed the heater vent directly underneath the pop top entrance, which sits directly beneath the bellow air vents I have no idea...!

I'll get a video up once they arrive for anyone else interested in them. And as an aside, i'm taking bets whether the other half breaks out the Dymo labeller so I dont turn it all into a mess this season (again). :D
Those kitchen cupboard drawers look like a more useful and cost-effective option than the very costly 3-drawer sets available for the right had side only. I hadn't seen this option before & would be very interested in photos of them installed - and to hear how straighforward (or not) the postage & customs process was. Did you go for the bundle deal the have for the full set?

We're a year into ownership and this winter have set myself the task of addressing the terrible default storage caves in the Cali to turn in them into usable spaces. Just fitted wardrobe shelves & have a rear tray on order. Next on the list are kitchen shelves then cupboard storage. There are some very neat products available from continental suppliers but the B-word makes life harder than it should be. Bah.

I have had these magnets for attaching the Thule wind out awning to the side of the van for a while. Finally got to try them today - been too nervous in the high winds we’ve been experiencing in the UK. They work brilliantly, I’d say the awning is stronger braced with these magnets vs being pegged out in the normal way. Great for quick stops and pitching up on hard ground where pegs aren’t really an option. I also like that in blustery conditions I can just wind out the awning a few feet, enough to provide shelter when getting in and out of the van or sitting by a fire. It’s also a bonus not having the legs and guy ropes as trip hazard!

They are not cheap but very well engineered as befits a Swiss product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had these magnets for attaching the Thule wind out awning to the side of the van for a while. Finally got to try them today - been too nervous in the high winds we’ve been experiencing in the UK. They work brilliantly, I’d say the awning is stronger braced with these magnets vs being pegged out in the normal way. Great for quick stops and pitching up on hard ground where pegs aren’t really an option. I also like that in blustery conditions I can just wind out the awning a few feet, enough to provide shelter when getting in and out of the van or sitting by a fire. It’s also a bonus not having the legs and guy ropes as trip hazard!

Thanks for sharing, this is exactly what we’ve been looking for.

Those kitchen cupboard drawers look like a more useful and cost-effective option than the very costly 3-drawer sets available for the right had side only. I hadn't seen this option before & would be very interested in photos of them installed - and to hear how straighforward (or not) the postage & customs process was. Did you go for the bundle deal the have for the full set?

We're a year into ownership and this winter have set myself the task of addressing the terrible default storage caves in the Cali to turn in them into usable spaces. Just fitted wardrobe shelves & have a rear tray on order. Next on the list are kitchen shelves then cupboard storage. There are some very neat products available from continental suppliers but the B-word makes life harder than it should be. Bah.

We originally considered the drawer set but we thought that they'd restrict us more than they'd enable.

We currently use the usual Ikea/poundland style storage bins. They do the job, but when every centimetre counts, we wanted to try and grab something that really took advantage. I know the rear Nord boxes for example are curved, so that they can bend into the shape of the rear cupboard.

Full set coming - both left and right sides of the cabinets and the rear cupboard.

What wardrobe shelves and rear tray did you go for?

RE Kitchen shelves; the https://www.gruenthal-mobilcamping.de/produkt/deckenregal-magnetisch-california/ looks really interesting. But as you say - pricey for us Brits.

I assume these would marr the paintwork, right?

I assume these would marr the paintwork, right?
Oh I see - you leave them in place for the duration of your trip regardless of if the awning is out or not. Interesting. So as long as your van is clean underneath, happy days.

Interesting, I do a fair bit of 3D printing and can print in carbon fibre (Nylon, PLA, etc). Looks like a relatively simple design....Hummmm.

Oh I see - you leave them in place for the duration of your trip regardless of if the awning is out or not. Interesting. So as long as your van is clean underneath, happy days.

Interesting, I do a fair bit of 3D printing and can print in carbon fibre (Nylon, PLA, etc). Looks like a relatively simple design....Hummmm.

Yep, make sure the van is clean before you attach them. I’ve made a very simple tool which locks into where the awning feet fit, making removal really easy without any risk to the paintwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We originally considered the drawer set but we thought that they'd restrict us more than they'd enable.

We currently use the usual Ikea/poundland style storage bins. They do the job, but when every centimetre counts, we wanted to try and grab something that really took advantage. I know the rear Nord boxes for example are curved, so that they can bend into the shape of the rear cupboard.

Full set coming - both left and right sides of the cabinets and the rear cupboard.

RE Kitchen shelves; the https://www.gruenthal-mobilcamping.de/produkt/deckenregal-magnetisch-california/ looks really interesting. But as you say - pricey for us Brits.
I’m also very interested in the boxes (for the LHS kitchen cupboard) so looking forward to your thoughts.

When in the colder/fresher seasons, I always pull the tambor roof door shut (whilst up there) to stop the cold air blowing down onto the mrs and kids - which just makes me even more cold and worried re bed flex and breaking the door. So hopefully this will solve that for me, and stop me turning blue in the night. Also means I shouldn't need to curl up into some odd foetal shape to watch a movie on the laptop etc :D
I am not sure why you do that since with a few people at the bottom and some heater it is quite cosy down there. And at least when open it is also nice at the top :) under the same conditions

I am not sure why you do that since with a few people at the bottom and some heater it is quite cosy down there. And at least when open it is also nice at the top :) under the same conditions
In chilly temperatures the cold air was coming down on (what once were) an infant and toddler so took the view one time to close it. Just kind of been a dad habit since. Heater might able to cope but no doubt uses less fuel if you’re not trying to heat the outdoors at the same time.

We went for the Yes Campervan option - mainly as another forum member had some available - but very happy with them. You've probably seen the California Time video of the T6.1 version. We have a T6 (with safe, so only two shelves) and the installation was actually a bit simpler, mainly beacuse the upright parts are broader so naturally sit 'level' without the need for spirit level faffing. One unexpected bonus is that on the T6 version the upright shelf support covers the area of the tambour door, thereby elimibating the problem of it jamming against things in the wardrobe. I've already moved some stuff over from the rear cupboards (washbags etc) to make them more accessible from the cab. This in turn frees up space in the rear cupboard, so double win.

As for kitchen shelves, if money were no object then certainly the Gruenthal option looks good. I can't see from any of the published images it the shelves obscure the rear vents or not, which may be a concern, but they do look very smart.
The other option of the Calicap.de long shelf version, which looks quite neat & tidy. It sits above the vents & is a slimmer profile (and more affordable).
We've gone for the IKEA hack for now, mainly to see how much we use them & whether 'cupboards' or 'shelves' are more useful. We might try and get them sent out to friends on the continent to coincide with a visit avoid the tax issue. I may need to add 50 Nord stuff to the shopping list!

In chilly temperatures the cold air was coming down on (what once were) an infant and toddler so took the view one time to close it. Just kind of been a dad habit since. Heater might able to cope but no doubt uses less fuel if you’re not trying to heat the outdoors at the same time.

Internal Isotop or external topper will help retain the heat.

Cali has no insulation within the body panels, so you are already losing a fair amount of heat as the plastic internal trim will only hold in so much..bit like trying heating your garden shed.

I would leave the hatch open as allows for a quick escape if you need to get out quickly, or, of a thief is trying the doors whilst your young ones are asleep downstairs.

Internal Isotop or external topper will help retain the heat.

Cali has no insulation within the body panels, so you are already losing a fair amount of heat as the plastic internal trim will only hold in so much..bit like trying heating your garden shed.

I would leave the hatch open as allows for a quick escape if you need to get out quickly, or, of a thief is trying the doors whilst your young ones are asleep downstairs.
Well now you’ve just scared me ; watch this space for when I post about my new deterrent baseball bat and escape ladder.

Hi, do these work on normal T5/T6 slide door Californias? Thinking about sliding door getting in the way?

Hi, do these work on normal T5/T6 slide door Californias? Thinking about sliding door getting in the way?

952281588b091fed9cc23cbc26a865c2.jpg

Yes, no problem. You have to mount right at the end of the rear panel so as not to impede the sliding door (see photo on my van)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back